PDA

View Full Version : Valves

Mudpuppy
06-27-2013, 11:17 AM
So my friend has exact same yellow 06 R1. He just called me and said that he had a valve fail on him. He said by the looks of it Yamaha made the retainer out of crushed beer cans and fail. He said he looked it up and it is a common problem. The manual says check valve clearance at 26,600 miles. He is at 26,500 miles. Odd. I am around 17,000 miles. But now I am thinking do I tear into this now before it is an issue or chance it and wait until winter. Not an easy project whatsoever but they do sell titanium retainers that you can replace the stock junk with. It's going to cost him $1,000 to get it done at a shop after failure. I am thinking I can probably tackle it before failure for a lot cheaper.

Bagger Dave
06-27-2013, 11:22 AM
I think it would depend on if you had any rides or anything planned...if you have the time...and nothing planned...maybe get it done to be on the safe side....especially if you already know there is a possibility of failure....or take the chance and do it in the winter if your not going to put on a ton of miles....

Caveman
06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
well, you could be safe and do it now, downside is the ride would be OOC, for a while. How long of a job would that be for you? Would you be able to do it yourself or would you have to have the stealer do it? If it was you doin the job, I would go ahead and do it as a weekender. Get all the parts ready tools and all and then dip into it on rainy weekend like this one coming up. If you have to have the dealer do it, it could be a quick turn around or not. Plus your out the cash that that job will undoubtedly cost. At that point I would chance it and ride it till winter to have the dealer do it. Personally though, I think you can do it, and a weekend is probably not out of the question for time frame. Depending on your wrenching abilities.

Or a possible Gas Man's Garage episode? Not that I'm offering services that aren't mine to offer.:sorry:

Mudpuppy
06-27-2013, 11:38 AM
IDK I am definitely concerned about it now. Drop a valve and it costs a ton of money and the chance of seizing the motor which would suck ass. I also had suspension on the slate for the next project. Definitely going to do the work myself. I am leaning towards riding it until the end of the season since I am under 20,000 miles as it sits but I read on the R1 forum that some engines have let go with under 10,000 miles. So who knows. I have lots of riding planned too so that is a big suck factor. Hocking Hills again (2x), local rides, Deal's Gap, Up North.

Monsoon
06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I would try and do this between the longer rides, ASAP. If you have that kind of time. But then my motto is "address it, do not obsess about it".

Mudpuppy
06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
I would try and do this between the longer rides, ASAP. If you have that kind of time. But then my motto is "address it, do not obsess about it".

That's the problem - time is a precious commodity for me right now and I have several partially completed projects.

junkyardjon
06-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Oh boy, thats fun for sure . Been there, done that, suck my balls that blows. I'd wait till winter and just ride it.

Gas Man
06-27-2013, 01:29 PM
I can't weight in on this..

Ignorance is bliss but you're already fucked in that regard.

What's the book time on the job? It is an overhead valve thing, but I bet it still requires a motor pull.

Chain
06-27-2013, 01:49 PM
If it were a complete Motor pull I honestly wouldn't fret about it... Ride that bitch! Don't you have 2 bikes any how?

However if it were a 6-8 hour job, few evening hours?!?, I'd do it and get it done with... Thing with forums I've found problems seem exaggerated, only because of the mass amount of people on them. I used to see shit with the BD... common issues, I'd freak out about it, next thing you know, I'm NOT having fun riding it... Sounds like the only reason you heard about the "common problem" is it just happened to your buddy, and you looked into it. IMHO...

Gas Man
06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
That is a good POV chain.

Kinda like the cam chain tensioners and primary chain adjuster on the HDs. I'm not freaking out, I'll just mess with it in the winter.

Chain
06-27-2013, 02:56 PM
That is a good POV chain.

Kinda like the cam chain tensioners and primary chain adjuster on the HDs. I'm not freaking out, I'll just mess with it in the winter.

Yes! Exactly! I've read about them... and just last night I found myself adjusting my clutch and wondering if I should just order the HB Wedge Hydrolic Automatic chain tensioner.... Ugh... just leave it be till winter. BO any how... ;)

Mudpuppy
06-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the input. That's all I am looking for is a general consensus what would jesus do type of thing. Not fretting or obsessing or overly worried about it. But now I am aware of it happening to him with exact same bike and maybe a little over exaggerated on the R1 forum but seems like valves are an issue with this gen and previous and future gen motors.

I am going to change out the oil and just ride it until winter. Fuck it.

Last year I didn't have time or money until riding season to tear the bitch apart and go through it before the first track day on it and it SUCKED ASS having it in pieces when I could be riding but I had little to no choice on that one. This one I am 99% sure I can wait. It was running fucking prime in Ohio over the weekend. All systems go - scotty fucking beam me up.

Chris I still need to go through the pictures from last year and do a gasman approved type thread with before, during and after shots.

Gas Man
06-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Is it a motor removing thing?

Moesride
06-27-2013, 10:23 PM
If it were a complete Motor pull I honestly wouldn't fret about it... Ride that bitch! Don't you have 2 bikes any how?

Thing with forums I've found problems seem exaggerated, only because of the mass amount of people on them. I used to see shit with the BD... common issues, I'd freak out about it, next thing you know, I'm NOT having fun riding it...IMHO...
Dead nuts on Chain.............ride that mofo mud , hit it when the snow flies.

Mudpuppy
06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Is it a motor removing thing?

Only if you have to do actual valve work. To check clearance, etc. you can do so without motor removal ya herd?

Gas Man
06-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Well then it shouldn't be that bad Mud. Well I guess as long as nothing needs work. That goes back to ignorance is bliss.

Can you replace the clips without removing it or does that constitute valve work?

Mudpuppy
06-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Well then it shouldn't be that bad Mud. Well I guess as long as nothing needs work. That goes back to ignorance is bliss.

Can you replace the clips without removing it or does that constitute valve work?

Pretty sure to replace the clips you need to pull the motor. Haven't read up on it enough. Just know regardless it will be some amount of work to do anything - whether it is checking them or rebuilding.

All kinds of pictures on the R1 forum that shows what happens when they drop a valve - not pretty. And in severe cases = trashed seized motor. But the visual is basically 3 normal looking cylinders and 1 cylinder that looks like a burnt down crack house in Detroit.

Gas Man
06-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Ignorance is bliss for the rest of this season.

Take a peaky poo in the winter so if you do have to work on it, it's during already down season.