PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Aluminum Trailer

Chain
06-26-2013, 01:12 PM
So, with much regret I have decided to buy a trailer that will hold two cruisers... yeah... :(

I have come to the conclusion that anything over 800-900 miles is really taking up my vacation time... I WILL continue to ride the 6-7 hundred mile trips, but when I have a destination, rather than a TRIP, I have decided trailering is the way to go. I can cut down on my vacation spent on the highway by minimum 2 days total, that will allow me to ride on vacation instead.

I have NO idea what to get, or where to start. I am thinking 6x10 ramp door, side door?!?! I'd like to keep the trailer at a 1500 lb weight empty... if possible? Like I said, I have no idea here, totally ignorant.

Any help or direction is appreciated!

Mudpuppy
06-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I really like to just enjoy the good roads and skip the slab runs but consider what I am riding. I am all about trailering. But some people like the journey as well as the destination - that is cool with me too. Sometimes I will do long trips (long to me is 4 hours away) just to get seat time but not often. My recommendation, besides the obvious craigslist, is to check out the WERA board for people selling their bike trailers. Of course now is probably the worst time to buy a trailer. In late fall is probably best time or early spring when people are upgrading or looking not to store their trailer but you never know - some club racer might be short on cash mid way through the season and looking to buy new tires or something and need some cash.

Gas Man
06-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Check the normal places online.

There are a few great trailer places down this way.

Thruxtonbill
06-26-2013, 01:57 PM
This one might be nice with a little TLC, price is right if everythings in working order.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3893982071.html

Gas Man
06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
But something to consider is that it says it won't fit 2 larger dresser bikes.

Chain
06-26-2013, 03:04 PM
I really like to just enjoy the good roads and skip the slab runs but consider what I am riding. I am all about trailering. But some people like the journey as well as the destination - that is cool with me too. Sometimes I will do long trips (long to me is 4 hours away) just to get seat time but not often. My recommendation, besides the obvious craigslist, is to check out the WERA board for people selling their bike trailers. Of course now is probably the worst time to buy a trailer. In late fall is probably best time or early spring when people are upgrading or looking not to store their trailer but you never know - some club racer might be short on cash mid way through the season and looking to buy new tires or something and need some cash.

What got me started on this is my 32 year old BIL... young fuker rode to Sturgis with me last year, he don't want to ride again this year... got me thinking...

I also like the journey. Ex. Were going to do a Route 66 tour next year, time permitting, 2 weeks... that is a journey. Totally ride that. 500 miles a day, no problem. I've rode to Sturgis 3 times, trailered once... I liked the fact we made it there in 1 day. Plus I don't need to see NO more corn and sunflower fields... ;)

Thanks for all advice though! All of ya! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Caveman
06-27-2013, 08:16 AM
I would look on the ebays and CL's but there are some trailer places on Will Carleton and one in monroe at the Monroe st / Telegraph rd split. they sell new and used. Just be careful about some the single axle ones, I have heard bad things about those that have been overloaded and springs are shot. the dual axle trailers also tend to have brakes on at least one of the axles which is a major plus.

WILEY
06-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Legend trailers right up in St. Johns builds all aluminum trailers. http://www.legendmfginc.com/ Do yourself a favor and go there and look at em. They usually have some unadvertised specials sitting around and sometimes some Demo/used stuff there as well.

Chain
06-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys! I will do that! I think Sat. is a good day if it don't rain to hope on the bike and go take a look.