PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in my new ride

Rotbart
06-13-2013, 09:03 AM
According to the salesman at the dealership and what I read online when breaking in a new engine I shouldn't keep it at the same rpm's for extended lengths of time. What I've been doing is on the freeway I'll drive at 60 for a mile or two, then up to 65, 70, 75 and then back down to 60. I find this an annoying way to ride. How long do I have ride like this to break in the engine?

On Saturday I'll be riding from Warren to Sanilac to take the bike in for its 600 mile service. Afterwards I'm riding to Clarkston for a graduation party and then back to Warren. I'm really looking forward to the ride, but I would enjoy it a lot more if I could just maintain a steady pace.

:newbie:

Thruxtonbill
06-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Most manufactures recommend break in this way, yes it is annoying but it will pass. Others say break it in like you're going to ride it( I prefer this method) after all it is under warranty. Did they tell you your warranty is viod if the 600 mile service is not done by them? How much are they charging you for this? The only thing that will be done is an oil change, chain adjustment(if you have one) and a general once over, waste of money, imo.

Rotbart
06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
600 mile service is free, plus it gives me an excuse to ride 80 miles.

BuckHunter
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
I've always been a believer in breaking a motor in hard. Not everyone believes in that method but it's always done me right.

Rotbart
06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Considering I already have over 3 hours of freeway riding on it, I should probably just go ahead and break it in like I'm going to be riding it.

Thruxtonbill
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
I should probably just go ahead and break it in like I'm going to be riding it.

Now we're talkin. It's a yami, it'll be fine.

Hawgrider
06-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Considering I already have over 3 hours of freeway riding on it, I should probably just go ahead and break it in like I'm going to be riding it. 500 miles then beat on it ..... not before. And yes vari the speeds. Ive broken in 3 spanking new bikes this way. And then if there are issues you followed the manufacturer recommendations.

Gas Man
06-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Yeah I just ride the bike and try to avoid a long long steady speed on the highway. Otherwise just ride it the way you will ride it.

But next will be a debate on what oil is best. :lol:

Which we know is Amsoil! :dthumb:

Hawgrider
06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah I just ride the bike and try to avoid a long long steady speed on the highway. Otherwise just ride it the way you will ride it.

But next will be a debate on what oil is best. :lol:

Which we know is Amsoil! :dthumb:Amsoil is for queers real men use HD 20W50

Thruxtonbill
06-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Amsoil is for queers real men use HD 20W50

Ahhh prolly not in the OPs Yamaha.

I do love Amsoil but just hate paying that much for oil, so it's the 10 40 Mobil one for me. It's only $13 a qt.:boobies:

RedneckMedic
06-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Ok so did I miss the thread with the pics and stuff of your new bike? :wtf:

Hawgrider
06-13-2013, 03:15 PM

I do love Amsoil but just hate paying that much for oil, so it's the 10 40 Mobil one for me. It's only $13 a qt.:boobies:
Yep those Yammadogs prolly use Yammalube or something like that.

I'm just yank-in Gas mans chain. But I really don't use Amsoil I'm a hold out from the past fuck that synthetic crap I'm a Dino guy And I really do Use HD 20 W 50 LOL for 92 k miles LOL works just fine My old girl still runs like a top .:eightball6:

Nope I havent seen it. So were gonna trash his thread and make it an oil threadsnort

Chain
06-13-2013, 03:57 PM

Yeah, NO shit!!!!!

Yep those Yammadogs prolly use Yammalube or something like that.

I'm just yank-in Gas mans chain. But I really don't use Amsoil I'm a hold out from the past fuck that synthetic crap I'm a Dino guy And I really do Use HD 20 W 50 LOL for 92 k miles LOL works just fine My old girl still runs like a top .:eightball6:

Nope I havent seen it. So were gonna trash his thread and make it an oil threadsnort

I'll be your huckleberry! Let's trash this shit!

I use Am-soil! I always wait and get it on sale, I have 2 cases on reserve!!! ;)

Cept at the moment, I went back to HD oil for my 1k break in of the new motor. NEVER use synthetic on a new break in... so an old wrench taught me... plus, I didn't want to throw 50$ worth of syn away from a break in.

There that's a start to trashing this thread!

RedneckMedic
06-13-2013, 04:05 PM
I use amsoil because its what I get from the GAS man. Maybe we should change his handle. Surprised I didn't get the call to go pick this bike up. Got a few friends getting new rides and been asked to pick them up. Tomorrow my fat ass will be riding an 883 iron from motor city harley down to flat rock.

BuckHunter
06-13-2013, 05:02 PM
http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2156&d=1371034947 Pic was posted in another thread

Chain
06-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I use amsoil because its what I get from the GAS man. Maybe we should change his handle. Surprised I didn't get the call to go pick this bike up. Got a few friends getting new rides and been asked to pick them up. Tomorrow my fat ass will be riding an 883 iron from motor city harley down to flat rock.

hahahahaha!

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/841/medium/Fat-Man-Motorcycle.jpg

Kosher
06-13-2013, 05:29 PM

OK, I want a picture of that.

Rotbart
06-13-2013, 05:56 PM

http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?5145-Approval-Motorsports-Sandusky-MI #4

Hawgrider
06-13-2013, 09:14 PM
http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?5145-Approval-Motorsports-Sandusky-MI #4

There it is. Good choice.

Gas Man
06-14-2013, 12:07 AM

Ya know I can get amsoil for cheaper than that, delivered to your front door!

The rest of you guys....
:fu2::aide::bsflag: