PDA

View Full Version : Honest Opinions - Electra Glide Ultra Classic vs. Road Glide Ultra

Ultra AL
06-12-2013, 08:35 AM
OK guys, I'm not looking for any bashing of either bike. I'm looking for honest opinions from those who have ridden both. Why do you prefer one over the other?

I'm planning on picking up one of the two sometime this year now that I've gotten my first 3000 miles in on the SuperGlide. It's been a great starter bike, but I always knew it was going to be temporary. I didn't want to get the big touring bike until after I had completed at least 6 months riding, 3,000 miles on the odometer, and taken the skilled rider course.

Those boxes are all checked now, so the time has come to begin the search for the next ride.

Whaddya think. Road Glide is sweet, but the EG is cool as well. Let's hear from the peanut gallery...

bombdog
06-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Road Glide all the way it only takes a test ride of both on the highway and make sure you pass a few 18 wheelers, you will feel the difference. That said I still like the traditional look of the street glide but my Shark has grown on me. It all comes down to personal preference. I road a SG for a few days liked it a lot I test drove a RG and made my decision. Test drive both maybe rent one that you think you like the best or see if you can do a long test ride.

Kosher
06-12-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm partial to Road Glides. I personally didnt care for a bat wing but you need to test ride both, they are different. And be prepared to spend big $$ to get it where you want.

If you can tolerate the stock bars, you are ahead of the game, but I think all Harley touring bars are god awful.

So plan on a Stage 1 at least.

And dont hang out with other RGU riders, they will spend your money quickly. :)

Call Adam at ABC Harley and tell him I sent you. I need another $100 gift card, LOL

RedneckMedic
06-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Ive ridden both and I prefer the way my road glide rides way better. The wind problem is easier to control on the bat if you are a tall guy. On the Rg you usually end up needing a pretty large shield. But i put my sanchos wings back on and all is good again with the short shields.

As the others said test ride both. If you already can handle the looks of a fugly than your going to pick it for sure. But with all that being said kosher still went with a roadie after riding my custom on a very windy day with just the stock shield!

Gas Man
06-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I have rode both, and I always hear about the whole "passing a big rig" jazz. When I rode the RG I didn't notice a difference in the wind push. I don't have a problem with the wind push with my batwing.

Also, don't consider what tall ass monkey armed Medic says... my #1 hate for the RG is the distance away of the dash and radio. There are some things you must touch the radio for.

The RG glove boxes are useless when riding unless you have taller bars.

With the batwing (if you get an ultra or added later), you can have the tripple headlight with LEDs... 3 is more than 2... just saying. :lol:

Plus with the RG fairing production being stopped for a redesign and tool. I worry about cross fitments. Think like for Apple iphones when they recently ditched the 30 pin connector for the lightening. Sure it's better but the market hasn't caught up for the change STILL!! I don't believe there is any talk about re-working the batwing.

And as said, you can control wind to you WAY better on the batwing... both with adjustable side loovers and windshields.

Bagger Dave
06-12-2013, 05:40 PM
I have never ridden a RG so I can't compare...but for me...
I just can't seem to get past that ugly ass fairing :lol: as a few told me...you either love em or ya don't....
not trying to bash them or anything...just not something that I would buy...I would still ride one to see how it handles...I have always liked the look of the batwing with a nice low windshield...

Ultra AL
06-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I have rode both, and I always hear about the whole "passing a big rig" jazz. When I rode the RG I didn't notice a difference in the wind push. I don't have a problem with the wind push with my batwing.

Also, don't consider what tall ass monkey armed Medic says... my #1 hate for the RG is the distance away of the dash and radio. There are some things you must touch the radio for.

The RG glove boxes are useless when riding unless you have taller bars.

With the batwing (if you get an ultra or added later), you can have the tripple headlight with LEDs... 3 is more than 2... just saying. :lol:

Plus with the RG fairing production being stopped for a redesign and tool. I worry about cross fitments. Think like for Apple iphones when they recently ditched the 30 pin connector for the lightening. Sure it's better but the market hasn't caught up for the change STILL!! I don't believe there is any talk about re-working the batwing.

And as said, you can control wind to you WAY better on the batwing... both with adjustable side loovers and windshields.

So, G-man, you're pretty much ambivalent on the issue, I see. LOL

My biggest worry is the reach. I can handle the cross-fitment issues, the 2 vs 3 headlight, and all. But I am worried about reaching the radio, and I certainly don't want useless dash compartments.

Much to think about.

RedneckMedic
06-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I use the shit out of y glove boxes. Theres really notuch you need to get to while riding but my glove boxes are always full. I don't think there is a difference in wind push either. The difference comes in when turning. It feels like riding a smaller bike compared to the batwing. The thing i like mos about the shark is that the fairing is father away and not right in my face and yes i do have monkey arms and can reach the radio no problem haha.

Gas Man
06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
:lol:

yeah I can accept the "lighter" parking lot turning.

But also like I said these guys with the taller bars can use the little boxes, the stock bars you can't unless they are turned from center.

junkyardjon
06-12-2013, 10:48 PM
:nothing:

Kosher
06-14-2013, 08:01 AM
my #1 hate for the RG is the distance away of the dash and radio. There are some things you must touch the radio for.

Not a big issue, most things can be done with the handle bar controls. Distance from the dash is not a big deal - to me, but we're all different aint we?

My personal opinion is that the wind management on a Road Glide *Ultra* is great. Other than an aftermarket windshield with a flare at the top I really have not had to do anything about it; I can keep a cigar lit at 50 MPH, thats saying something.

But, we are all different and you must ride both and compare.

Just dont buy a Victory, we'd have to slap you around a bit.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cKmyZYpCVmg/SsNiY07gCUI/AAAAAAAAHKM/kfuLAP4tZAE/s400/bozovision-791726.jpg

Ultra AL
06-14-2013, 08:59 AM

Not much chance of that happening Kosher! EG or RG, or sticking with the SuperG.

Gas Man
06-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Now Vic does have the Cross Country. I have a buddy that I work with that has one and loves it. All kinds of cool engineering on them...

The battery is in front of the motor and low, like where the new bikes have their oil coolers. To put more weight down low. The radio in the dash is just a display, the actual radio and amp aspect is under the seat where the battery use to be. Same reasoning... to get weight lower and make the bike handle better.

Ultra AL
08-22-2013, 12:12 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cKmyZYpCVmg/SsNiY07gCUI/AAAAAAAAHKM/kfuLAP4tZAE/s400/bozovision-791726.jpg

Haha! No Victory was purchased in the making of this deal! Ultimately went with the Ultra Classic. Batwinging it. It came down to a couple of things. The guards around the saddlebags. The included tourpack. The reach to the radio/etc. And most of all, I just got a good deal on a bike that when I looked at it, made my heart race. And that's what it's about, isn't it? The one that gets the blood flowing is the one that is for you. And this one did that for me.

toby
12-01-2013, 04:44 AM
I have rode both,my self but i like the
Electra Glide Ultra Classic but what the hell its your money buy what you like.