PDA

View Full Version : More horse shit coming from your Michigan legislature

Kosher
06-05-2013, 10:06 PM
http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/06/michigan_lawmakers_consider_re.html#incart_river_d efault

These systems represent a fleecing of the public and an unholy alliance between legislators and these companies.

Schmidt and Stallworth both insisted that the legislation is about public safety, not revenue, and said that red light cameras would provide officers with a new tool to enforce existing traffic laws.But many officers don't want that tool, according to Monroe County Deputy Sheriff Dave LaMontaine, who testified against the legislation on behalf of the Police Officers Association of Michigan. He said the group is concerned about government's "continuing intrusion into the lives of our citizens" and argued that policing from behind a video camera is not the same as developing personal relationships with residents.
"If police officers wanted to be revenue collectors, we would have signed up to be IRS agents," he said. "Believe me, police know all too well the need for more municipal revenue… but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. We have concerns that red light cameras will become an ATM machine for City Hall."

Gas Man
06-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Fuck that shit.

Hawgrider
06-06-2013, 07:49 AM
I really am hating this technology shit. Somebody stop the planet from spinning...... so I can jump off.

bombdog
06-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I think if we could stop in hand cell phone use while driving we could cut accidents in half.

Gas Man
06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
We were talking about this type of cell use crap last night...

Perhaps, in order for you to start the car, you have to plug in your phone. When this happens, it disables text and email and only allows you to take a call on the handsfree.

Guess how many countries ban cell in hand talking while driving? It's like 50 some...

But honestly the problem isn't always the phone in any way. I for one know when the traffic is right I can do something on my phone... but I drive for my company so I have tons of miles under my belt and have had more driving training than I ever wanted. HOWEVER, most people were taught by their parents that had terrible driving habbits and went through a half ass driving program and recieved no other training after that. THEN you factor in the new kids now.... they don't have the skill set or expierence to handle any distractions, like a cell phone, and drive. that's like asking a todler to run a marathon when they just learned to walk last week. Stupid!

And

Stupid Kills

bombdog
06-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Yep I started driving farm equipment at 11 by the time I was 16 I had been driving trucks and tractors for five years and if you can back up tandem grain wagons parallel parking a car is not a big deal.

Kosher
06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
http://www.motorists.org/red-light-cameras/yellow-lights

Caveman
06-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Ok, on Gas's point of making you connect the phone to start the car.....well, what if they are poor enough and responsible enough to only have a car that goes to and from work and can't afford a cell phone? I don't think thats the answer. I like what Verizon does, if the phone is moving more than 15 MPH judged by the GPS function in the phone then it blocks texting functions. I have used hands free and I have talked cell in hand in the car and while the hands free keeps more peripheral vision its pretty much still the same distractor. But, the Hands Free (HF) devices are a bit more convenient. What needs to be addressed is what Gas said about poor driving skilled parents teaching kids poor driving skills. That and the fact that there is a seriously disparaging difference between the Driver's Ed we had and what the kids are getting today. Like Bomb said, start them driving young and they will have the skills when you turn them loose at 16 that they need I for one will be starting my daughter next summer when she is 14 to start in parking lots and out of the way areas to get the feel of driving 2 tons of steel around and what the dangers are. Now I know, and Gas can attest to this, I am not the best driver ever, but I know what the rules are and I can teach somethings better than I can do anything. Just keep them in check also with the threat of losing that privledge if there are any tickets or accidents. It may be more painful to the parent sometimes to lose that extra chaufer for the younger ones but what it really boils down to is your keeping not just the driving kid safe but the kids your putting in with them safe as well.

Gas Man
06-06-2013, 10:44 AM
We talked about the whole if the cell phone is moving thing...

But FU, if I'm a passenger I want to be able to do anything I please..... Ya know.

Nobody
06-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Red light camera are absolutely just for the $$$. There's scores of stories about how when the revenue dropped off from them, magically the city didn't want to pay to maintain and keep them active. To say little about the plethora of false positives..

Kosher
06-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Red light camera are absolutely just for the $$$. There's scores of stories about how when the revenue dropped off from them, magically the city didn't want to pay to maintain and keep them active. To say little about the plethora of false positives..

No, usually they get removed over public protest.

If they arent making money, they shorten the yellow duration, which causes *more* accidents.

Its well documented.