PDA

View Full Version : Got the bike all apart still...

B-Kinger
04-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Well I was hoping to have it back together early this morning, but after realizing I hadn't synchronized the throttle bodies yet I figure I should do that before I button it up. I did install the Healtech X-tre, (timing retard eliminator) which must not work because I'm still working very slowly. Actually what the X-tre does is alter the ignition timing in the 1st 3 gears to match 4th and 5th, which adds a little more throttle response in the low to mid RPM range. Suzuki retarded the timing in the lower gears to reduce the possibility of uncontrolled wheelies during harder takeoffs. What's the fun in THAT? The result is a somewhat sedated throttle response under 3 grand. It seems redundant, because my bike has a B mode too. If you can't ride this bike controllably, keep it in B mode till you learn to! I'm just hoping it smooths out the dip in the torque curve. I also installed their Speedo Healer, which was really my main priority, because B-King speedometers are notoriously optimistic. A nice feature of this product is that it comes with a top speed indicator, and it's fully programmable to compensate for any gearing or tire changes whatsoever, which will come in handy when I add a tooth to the front sprocket for lower RPM cruising and better mileage. Stay tuned.

Thruxtonbill
04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Intresting stuff Mike, we really need to get a ride in together, I wanna see that thing in person.

Bob
04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Sounds like a lot of work!

Gas Man
04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I've installed a speedo healer before....pretty easy...

Pls tell me you got some pics of the work?

B-Kinger
04-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Aw sorry man, I didn't bother to take any, none of it was any big deal, not that I was in the right frame of mind (or lack thereof) to remember to take any. Honestly, when you take pics of the workings of this bike, it's hard to even tell what you're looking at when you see the picture. I got it back together and the speedo reprogrammed. Took it for a brief stint down 16 mile and didn't notice much of a difference, although I was so rushed to get my kids in time that I couldn't relax enough to focus on the differences. Speedo seems correct though. I still have a few more odds and ends on the maintenance list to check off, like tightening the exhaust flange bolts. That sounds simple enough, but this bike is packaged so unbelievably tight that I must completely remove the radiators to get to most of em. Even getting the airbox open involved disassembling most of the front end, which is a lesson in patience in itself. Monica was there for awhile and asked about us eating something, but I was so preoccupied and determined to conquer this thing that I could barely muster up a coherent answer. FOOD? FOOD? What I NEED is a 15 inch magnetic double U-joint metric allen/torx bit combo wrench! She got us carry out. I've never experienced so many aggravatingly hard to get at fasteners, clamps, connectors and hoses in my bike wrenching life. Most fasteners that have to be loosened or come off you can't even SEE, let alone GET to. This bike really requires a lot of specialty tools as well, a few of which I've made so far but ENOUGH ALREADY! Anyways, the difficult stuff is done and it turned out okay, and I'm sitting here still amazed that not only did I not have any "extra" fasteners left over, but that I managed not to throw any of my tools down the driveway. It better be a good summer!

Gas Man
04-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Shit sounds like something I would like to wrench on.

You know my lift is always open. Got a spare room or futons in the basement if you need to stay over...

B-Kinger
04-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Just may take you up on that sometime, thanks bro!

Berto
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Intresting stuff Mike, we really need to get a ride in together, I wanna see that thing in person.

+1 fo sho!

Wow... ok... tons of work on the bike.

I will most likely rejet my carb this summer and the famous 3x3 on the DRZ will happen. I think that will be most of my modding until I do the new tail light.

Does anyone have a tire changer here?

I want to learn to do it myself... thinking about buying a bead braker and learning to make the changes on my own. My paraplegic buddy does it on all his bikes with a bead braker and tire irons. I want to do some track days and have to swap from street to track tires a few times. I don't want to pay $40 for every swap if I can do it myself.

Gas Man
04-10-2009, 08:47 PM
My next door neighbor has a tire break... I think we can use bike tires on it... don't see why not.

What you should do is get a spare set of rims off fleabay for cheap... end all that other crap.