PDA

View Full Version : MI House Democrats introduce bill requiring license and background check for ALL guns

telecast
06-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Yes, even shotguns and rifles. I seriously doubt this will get past the house or senate, and highly doubtful Snyder would ever sign it. Still, it's out there.

This will also make hunters who come in from out of state criminals. The only way they can bring their gun into MI is if they have a 'license' from their own state to own it. Since other states don't license long guns, visitors cannot get one to begin with. This law would eliminate a LOT of money from our economy, state and local. Michigan ranks third in the number of hunting licenses issued, and there are a lot of hunters that come here from out of state.

Call your representatives and senators on this one.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billintroduced/House/htm/2013-HIB-4774.htm

Gas Man
06-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Yeah I doubt Synder will sign that. He knows it's a bad business decision.

Kosher
06-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Boneheads.

junkyardjon
06-01-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't see a problem with it. Sounds like a good idea to me. What is the real problem?

telecast
06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Ok, let's make a list.

1) Out of state hunters who's states don't issue licenses for rifles or shotguns can no longer come into our state to hunt.

2) It requires you to obtain a license to purchase rifle or shotgun ONLY because they want you to get a background check. ALL purchases from a licensed dealer already require a background check, so this is only for private sales. It does not say how to get the background check done, or how much it might cost. Dealers and police departments will charge a fee, so if I want to buy or sell a shotgun to someone it'll cost one of us more money.

3) Once you get the background check, you can toss the license out if you want to. What sense is that?

4) It does not allow for youths to hunt. You must be 18 years old to buy a gun, and the only time someone younger could use it is at a target range, and only for the purpose of target practice or instruction. So, a dad could no longer buy his kid a .22 and take him squirrel hunting, or buy his 14 year old son a rifle and teach him to deer hunt. Or, Joe Blow couldn't loan a shotgun to his brother in law.

5) It does not have provisions to determine how they'll know if you bought the gun recently without getting a license, or if you already owned it. Since you can just toss the license out, and background checks do NOT include what you're actually buying, there will be no way for law enforcement to determine if you already owned the gun, bought it legally, or bought it illegally. There is no way to enforce it.

6) It does NOTHING to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Like most feel good legislation, it only makes criminals out of law abiding people. Bad guys buy their guns illegaly, very few are caught with registered weapons. But, youths and out of state hunters will have to break the law to hunt.

7) It is a half-baked bill. All they did for the most part is change the word 'pistol' from our pistol law to 'firearm'. No forethought to anything else.

8) It does nothing to address mental illness issue. The law says you can't buy a gun if you've been judged mentally unfit. Problem, none of that info is included in the background check database. It's been like that for years. This needs to get fixed if they want background checks to have any meaning.

I could find more. If passed into law this bill will create a mess. We do not need new legislation, they need to enforce the laws on the books. Last year over 70,000 people who are not allowed to own a gun tried to buy one. That is breaking a federal law. They prosecuted a total of 44. Enforce what is already there, prosecute the criminals, and leave the good people alone.

Mad Dog
06-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Welcome to New York. Pass or not this is how it STARTED in NY.
All gun owners, nationwide need to come out of the coma they have been in and realize it can happen to you. Call, write, protest, vote and resist. Your life does depend on it!

junkyardjon
06-02-2013, 10:17 AM
So i should be locked up then?
I think the bill is a good idea. Youths are not smart enough to handle fire arms. Out of state people should hunt in there own state.

telecast
06-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Ok, I see where this is going. Nevermind.

Hawgrider
06-05-2013, 07:59 AM
I think the bill is a good idea. Youths are not smart enough to handle fire arms. Out of state people should hunt in there own state.Hoping your being sarcastic.

Mad Dog
06-05-2013, 11:03 AM
I think the bill is a good idea. Youths are not smart enough to handle fire arms. Out of state people should hunt in there own state.

Should you be locked up? Not at all. Just sometimes reviewing the opposing facts can open up a whole new way of looking at things. Bottom line is the government, given a choice would have us disarmed. I can support that statement with facts upon request. Not trying to be a hard ass but I have learned a whole lot about the intent of government in the last few years. With the bulk of this learning coming from law enforcement, FBI and statements made openly by public officials intent on gaining more control over society.

junkyardjon
06-05-2013, 08:43 PM
heres the thing...
both sides will use whatever data and facts they choose to help make their point. theres way more important shit in my life than fighting over gun laws. i could care less about it anymore. i'd rather see people get in a up roar over the fucked up economy and bringing jobs back. look at all the small shops that closed down, we need them back more than fucking gun laws.

i get a kick out of everytime people bring up the money that is/will be lost. ANYBODY EVER FIND OUT HOW MUCH MONEY THE NO HELMET LAW BROUGHT THIS STATE? i know one side used that bull shit for years trying to get it passed.

i still think this is a good bill.