PDA

View Full Version : Fixing up a Kawi 440

Rotbart
05-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Just picked the bike up last night. This is what I've found so far.
1. Neutral indicator not working. Burned out bulb or neutral switch? No other bulbs are burned out.
2. Seems like the clutch is a little tight. With the clutch pulled in and I put it in first, there is slight movement. Is this normal? Seems to me there should be no movement from the bike if the clutch is pulled in.
3. One of the two pins that the seat hinges on is missing. I think I can fix that one.
4. Most serious issue. There is a leak (see figure below). When under throttle there is occasionally a popping and I can feel exhaust on my left leg. Is this potentially hazardous? Should I make this my priority?

Any help is appreciated.

Rotbart
05-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Also there is a switch on the left grip by the turn signal controls marked M and A. What might this be for?

Thruxtonbill
05-29-2013, 07:51 AM
The M is for manual and the A is for auto (self canceling).

The clutch can be adjusted at the lever. Try to get some oil inside the cable if you can.

Thruxtonbill
05-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Might find this site to be helpful
http://kzrider.com/archive/forumdisplay.php?fid=5

RedneckMedic
05-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Check the flanges on the exhause they might need tightening. I wouldnt worry about the neutral bulb if your not keeping the bike a long time.

Are there any mods done to the exhaust or intake that would cause the popping.

Also since it is an old bike and maintenance is always questionable run some seafoam throughthe tank when you put fresh gas in. If it isnt running right carbs probably need cleaned.

Rotbart
05-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks for all the info!

Rotbart
05-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Check the flanges on the exhause they might need tightening. I wouldnt worry about the neutral bulb if your not keeping the bike a long time.

Are there any mods done to the exhaust or intake that would cause the popping.

Also since it is an old bike and maintenance is always questionable run some seafoam throughthe tank when you put fresh gas in. If it isnt running right carbs probably need cleaned.

I don't think there are any mods. Looks like someone tried patching a gap with some kind of sealant instead of replacing a gasket. Is there a gasket where the exhaust connects to the motor?

Do I have to find a kawasaki specific shop to get parts?

Gas Man
05-29-2013, 09:14 AM
My bet is the clutch cable slack adjustment (on the bar) is too loose. That causes you to not get full travel from the ball/ramp rod and not enough seperation in the clutch plates. Causing it to "walk" with the clutch lever in.

With the exhaust leak... yes, fix it. Try tightening the flange nuts, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!!!!!!! Use common sense here, don't go grizzy adams on the nuts. Getting a snapped stud out of the head SUCKS, ask sprink!

If the tightening doesn't work, you may need a new exhaust gasket. Which is simple, drop the exhaust, replace gasket, rehang exhaust.

Rotbart
05-29-2013, 09:23 AM
I just want to go home and start wrenching. Sometimes having to work for a living is a drag.

RedneckMedic
05-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Tell your son to get to it then while your at work

Gas Man
05-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I just want to go home and start wrenching. Sometimes having to work for a living is a drag.

We've all been there!

Rotbart
05-29-2013, 11:15 AM
I've been doing a little digging around and I no longer think I have a exhaust leak. I think it is the intake manifold on the left carb. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for this locally?

Kosher
05-29-2013, 11:27 AM
I've been doing a little digging around and I no longer think I have a exhaust leak. I think it is the intake manifold on the left carb. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for this locally?

you might check with The Honda Doctor in Waterford - he specializes in Honda restorations, but I bet he has a line on a lot of other japanese makes.

http://www.philscycleshop.com/

Gas Man
05-29-2013, 11:27 AM
You can easily test an intake leak.

With the motor running, spray the area where the intake meets the head with brake cleaner/carb cleaner/wd40. If the idle changes, you have an exhaust leak.

What's the local Kaw dealer to warren?

Kosher
05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
You can easily test an intake leak.

With the motor running, spray the area where the intake meets the head with brake cleaner/carb cleaner/wd40. If the idle changes, you have an exhaust leak.

What's the local Kaw dealer to warren?

Heck, per Nate, they cant fix his 2011!

I might also try Town and Country HD in Tecumseh - they have Kaw, and a bunch of vintage bikes as well.

Here are the Michigan Kawi dealers: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/32/9/Motorcycle-Dealers-State-Manufacturer/Michigan-Kawasaki-Dealers.aspx

RedneckMedic
05-29-2013, 11:40 AM
I would say best options for parts are online since most will have to order them anyways at least if you go to the powersports dealers around here.

Kosher
05-29-2013, 11:42 AM
I would say best options for parts are online since most will have to order them anyways at least if you go to the powersports dealers around here.

http://www.vintagekawasaki.com/webshop/

junkyardjon
05-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Spray shit around it and see if idle changes. If the boot ain't split. Boil them and slap them on with new clamps. Ain't nothing but a thang, all gravy shit. Bring it over and we'll get it fixed up

Gas Man
05-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Jon is the man with these old scoots!!

junkyardjon
05-29-2013, 07:12 PM
How long has the bike been sitting?
I wish people would bring this kind if work to me. Seems i only get the shit that was beat to death and put away soaking wet. Yall should see the quads im working on for a customer.... 85 lt250r & 87 warrior beat to death

RedneckMedic
05-29-2013, 11:58 PM
How long has the bike been sitting?
I wish people would bring this kind if work to me. Seems i only get the shit that was beat to death and put away soaking wet. Yall should see the quads im working on for a customer.... 85 lt250r & 87 warrior beat to death

I've got a 98 kawi vulcan 1500 in my garage that I think would look killer hard tailed. My buddy cut the wiring to hell and that is the hard part. Want to show me how to weld up a hard tail section?

junkyardjon
05-30-2013, 06:13 AM
I've got a 98 kawi vulcan 1500 in my garage that I think would look killer hard tailed. My buddy cut the wiring to hell and that is the hard part. Want to show me how to weld up a hard tail section?
Hardtail and wiring, not a problem. Bring it over

Rotbart
05-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Spray shit around it and see if idle changes. If the boot ain't split. Boil them and slap them on with new clamps. Ain't nothing but a thang, all gravy shit. Bring it over and we'll get it fixed up

The boot is split, someone tried sealing it with some kind of goop. Not sure how long the bike was sitting. The guy I bought it from only had it a few months. Where abouts are you located?

junkyardjon
05-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Marine city is my home. You could call the used bike yards and ask them for a price but your best bet is ebay for a boot. While the carbs are off, give them a quick cleaning.

Medic, those vulcans would look good hardtailed. I have doughreks wheels, forks and brake lever over here stripped about for powder coat

Caveman
05-30-2013, 10:08 AM
I was reading this post and I saw your diagram and was like thats not the exhaust thats the intake. But as I read on you have already been told that and how to fix. I was getting ready to pounce on this but Jon beat me to it. yeah that area is the intake and those boots are notorious for dry rotting if left to sit too long. as Jon said Ebay is your friend for the replacements. Those older Jap bikes are pretty neat and fun to work on. As for the popping in the exhaust there probably is still an exhaust leak though and Oxygen is getting in past the seals and causing post detination in the pipes. try removing the headers and replacing the seals. that should clear that problem. the neutral light if not a burnt bulb could be something as easy as the little sensor in the trans that "says" its in N. I bet if you take apart the engine you will find a lot of gummed up parts that need some good cleaning and a fresh oil change. One thing for sure though with those old bikes, take apart the carbs and clean the hell out of them just remember how it came apart and reassemble the same way. check the needles boot and the float valve needle seat most times the tip of the fuel inlet is a rubber like tip and if left to set long enough could be junk.

Rotbart
06-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Where can I find seafoam on a sunday?

Kosher
06-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Where can I find seafoam on a sunday?

Any Oreillys, they generally open at 9am

Gas Man
06-02-2013, 08:26 AM
And auto zone.

Rotbart
06-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Would liquid wrench chain lube work on a motorcycle chain?

Rotbart
06-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Also, when I first got the bike home I put some gas in it. I want to put some seafoam in it, but the tank is still pretty full and it will be a while before it needs more gas. Should I wait? Will putting seafoam in it now do any harm? Would it do any good?

Kosher
06-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Also, when I first got the bike home I put some gas in it. I want to put some seafoam in it, but the tank is still pretty full and it will be a while before it needs more gas. Should I wait? Will putting seafoam in it now do any harm? Would it do any good?

If the bike has been sitting for a while, I'd drain it.

Gas Man
06-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Putting seafoam in it now won't hurt it, but without mixing it real good can't be sure it's mixed in. That is usually done at the gas pump.

Best thing I used on a chain was kerosene to clean it. but you need to know if it's a standard chain or some o-ring chain.

Rotbart
06-05-2013, 11:23 AM
I found the carb holder on partzilla and ordered it a couple of days ago. When I went to check the condition of the air filter I found the the housing and filter have been replaced with 2 unifilters. These are just a single foam cylinder with a rubber flange that clamps onto the intake of the carb. I went to unifilter's website, but I'm still not getting a warm fuzzy about them. Any suggestions for replacements?

junkyardjon
06-05-2013, 07:27 PM
skip the sea foam and just clean the carbs and change the spark plugs. carbs are easy after you do a few LOL. the uni filters are alright, just clean and oil then every so often.

Caveman
06-06-2013, 09:40 AM
the uni filters are alright, just clean and oil then every so often.

sounds like they are similar to the K&N oiled filters, so when cleaning don't use and air hose to blow dry them....this will tear the filter medium and reduce the effectiveness of the filter......and get a good filter oil from the autozone or o'reilly....

junkyardjon
06-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Yup, air dry only. Nothing wrong with them at all.