PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding a scooter?

Bob
08-28-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm starting to see more and more on the road.* I'm seeing a lot of Vespas and Honda Rukus's.

detdrbuzzard
09-12-2008, 07:23 AM
i want to get a big rukus when i save up some money

Bob
09-12-2008, 08:52 AM
i want to get a big rukus when i save up some money

Someone has one for sale on xceedspeed.com for $1700.* I'd like to get one to ride to work and back but for the money I could buy a used bike. LOL

Road-Rider
09-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Hello Bob,
I've owned an 07 Piaggio X9 500 for little over a year and have nearly 5,000 miles on it. It is quite fast but still gets (usually) over 60 mpg. I'm a senior rider so i donot ride it very hard. Oil changes are easy. It's very good for two up riding and also on the x/way.
I previously owned an Aprillia 250 for a short while but like the 500 better for my kind of riding.

Bob
09-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Hello Bob,
I've owned an 07 Piaggio X9 500 for little over a year and have nearly 5,000 miles on it. It is quite fast but still gets (usually) over 60 mpg. I'm a senior rider so i donot ride it very hard. Oil changes are easy. It's very good for two up riding and also on the x/way.
I previously owned an Aprillia 250 for a short while but like the 500 better for my kind of riding.

Those scooters are practically motorcycles!* Nice ride!

detdrbuzzard
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
i just want to add it to my colection

B-Kinger
12-23-2008, 09:00 PM
I bought a cute little scooter and wanted to add as much power to it as I could. I started out wanting to keep it stock looking and simple, but I may have overdone it anyways. Now nobody wants to play with me.

B-Kinger
01-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Okay, it's not really mine, but I thought it was cool, from a horsepower junkie perspective. Not many scooters out there with thrust. U should see what the guy did with a VW Bug!!!

Twisted
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I've actually never ridden a scooter on the street, but I did sell quite a few last summer. (yeah, even after what I tell you here). A few of the people were sometimes torn between a scooter or a smaller bike, their argument being that a scooter was "safer" than a bike. Now I was never the pushy kind of salesperson, I always tried to get the customer what they wanted, or what I honestly thought was best, even if it meant a lesser sale. I would even recommend 250 Ninjas to beginners and we didn't even sell 'em. Hail praise to the Ninja, it is thee PERFECT starter bike. Hey look, a KAW!
But anyways, these people would assume the scooter was safer because it wasn't as fast as a bike. and in the next breath they'd ask, but can I go on the highway with it? I'd be like, well some of these scooters can go over 80 mph, but you don't get the same quick burst of speed as with a bike you can shift, to get out of the way. I also said, scooters tend to be smaller and less noisey than a bike, harder to see and be heard. I also said, youre just as vulnerable on a scooter as on a bike. I was just trying to make them realize the facts, these were the kind of people that were utterly clueless to thinking they could get hurt on a scooter (look,it's SO cute), had no MSF training whatsoever, and didn't want to, and wanted to make sure we had a matching blue little helmet. At a certain point, I'd forget trying to sell, and try to educate. At least I tried to.
Regardless, they'd still buy the scooter, and sometimes I'd see 'em slowly cruising up Gratiot, in their tank top, shorts and matching helmet, with a big, shit eating grin. I guess it's not what you ride, just as long as you enjoy it. My job was done.

Berto
02-13-2009, 09:56 AM
I rode a scooter in the Dominican Republic... I liked it... I would have one for local ride, high MPG... low cost... but the DRZ can double as that and still kick ass in the twisties...

I wish more people rode scooter and whatnot around.

patriot78
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
I bought my first scooter over 20 years ago. I was stationed in the Philippines with the Navy and the little 70cc 2cycle Yamaha was a cheep and fun ride. I traded the 70cc for a Honda Elite 125 a year or so after getting back state side. I rode that for over 4 years in Calif. and Tampa. I sold it when I moved north. I bought my current ride just over a year ago. It is the Suzuki Burgman 650 super scooter. It is a great ride! I've been on two group rides and I had no problems hanging with the big dogs. I even did a little drag racing with my bud on his HOG. Again I hung right in there. A dealer told me he had one up to 120 mph. Besides not shifting the strange thing is not having the bike between your legs. Most of the engine on the 650 is under the seat.

The biggest mistake people make is to say "it's just a scooter!" Even if you're not riding a 650 you're on two wheels in traffic. I re-took the Experience Rider's Safety Course and I have my full endorsement.

The biggest pain is having to explain to the “real” bikers why I ride a scooter. It does everything I need and I feel comfortable riding it in any traffic.

To the “real bikers” I say you're welcome to go for a ride on my scooter if you’re secure enough.

Bob
07-01-2009, 09:11 PM
I bought my first scooter over 20 years ago. I was stationed in the Philippines with the Navy and the little 70cc 2cycle Yamaha was a cheep and fun ride. I traded the 70cc for a Honda Elite 125 a year or so after getting back state side. I rode that for over 4 years in Calif. and Tampa. I sold it when I moved north. I bought my current ride just over a year ago. It is the Suzuki Burgman 650 super scooter. It is a great ride! I've been on two group rides and I had no problems hanging with the big dogs. I even did a little drag racing with my bud on his HOG. Again I hung right in there. A dealer told me he had one up to 120 mph. Besides not shifting the strange thing is not having the bike between your legs. Most of the engine on the 650 is under the seat.

The biggest mistake people make is to say "it's just a scooter!" Even if you're not riding a 650 you're on two wheels in traffic. I re-took the Experience Rider's Safety Course and I have my full endorsement.

The biggest pain is having to explain to the “real” bikers why I ride a scooter. It does everything I need and I feel comfortable riding it in any traffic.

To the “real bikers” I say you're welcome to go for a ride on my scooter if you’re secure enough.

That's awesome! I've thought about a scooter for my work commute and bumming around town in.
I had a Ninja 250 which would get smoked by most scooters on the road today anyway. LOL Welcome to the site!

patriot78
07-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Twisted,
I'm glad to tried to educate these newbies. Being a seasoned scooter rider (6 years in 3 states) I can attest to it being every bit as dangerious as a real bike. My first two scooter were small and made sure I rode them where they fit. I'm now riding a 650 and it is every bit as fast as alot of bikes. It is also bigger. But I'm sure you'll agree size doesn't matter alot - a fourwheeler will not see a big hog as quick as they will miss a scooter. The extra mass doesn't seem to matter.

Keep pushing for MSF. I just took it for the 3rd time this spring. I had to take it the 1st 2 times because I was in the Navy and if I wanted to ride on the base it was required. Not having ridden anything for over 20 years I jumped on my first chance to re-take it.

Keep riding!

roger
09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
My wife rides a 650cc Burgman and has rode it to Maine, Washington DC, and Florida on 3 different trips. Ran with my bike at 70 to 80 on the highway without a wimper. she cruised past alot of harleys going to DC for rolling thunder in 08.

Bob
09-08-2009, 11:16 PM
My wife rides a 650cc Burgman and has rode it to Maine, Washington DC, and Florida on 3 different trips. Ran with my bike at 70 to 80 on the highway without a wimper. she cruised past alot of harleys going to DC for rolling thunder in 08.

Scooters arn't like they used to be.

mo841
10-26-2009, 01:14 PM
my wife rides a 2007 yamaha c 3

Berto
10-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I'd ride a scooter... maybe one of these...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/NYFindingo/duhscoot.jpg

jlb85
02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I am and have been a fan of scooters for ever. I've had Honda Sprees, Elites, Yamaha Zumas, and now a Honda Reflex. But the scoot I would like to have next is: Yamaha TMax 2010 White Max Edition:

http://static.blogo.it/twowheelsblog/yamaha-t-max-500-white-max-2010-01/big_yamaha_tmax_white_max_02.jpg

If there are enough forum members with scoots, we should have a meet/cruise.

jlb85
02-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Lol, scoots get to park on the sidewalk ;) proper.

patriot78
02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
jlb85,
It seems like there should be enough scooter riders to put together a meet/cruise. I'd make a point of being there. I live in Sterling Heights.

Bob
02-14-2010, 09:42 PM
I think it be neat to see a bunch of scooters. I'm a fan of the old and current Vespas myself.

RoadZombie
02-14-2010, 11:16 PM
I saw a pack of 'em last summer...probably like a group of 30 or 40. It was definitely different to see. 40 guys on Harleys rolling past ya is pretty common. 40 Vespas buzzing past ya isn't something you don't often see.

RoadZombie
02-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Best part was there was a guy in the pack who was an "old school biker"...huge beard...tatted up...even was wearing the non-dot skid lid...on a Vespa. I started laughing so hard I almost pissed myself.

paulpeter
03-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Ya i am riding scooter and my opinion on scooters is as follows..
"riding a scooter is like riding a fat chick, its all fun & games until your friends find out your doing it" ..

telecast
03-04-2010, 07:51 AM
"riding a scooter is like riding a fat chick, its all fun & games until your friends find out your doing it" ..

That used to be my tagline until I ran across the one I have now!

RoadZombie
03-04-2010, 04:50 PM
That used to be my tagline until I ran across the one I have now!

Which "one"? Fat chick or scooter? LoL :D Hehe! Couldn't resist!

telecast
03-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Tagline: The part at the end of my posts that says "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, etc etc."

It used to be "Doing a fat chick is like riding a scooter, etc etc."

Not sure what you mean by 'which one'?

RoadZombie
03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Ahhh your signature. Gotcha. I was thinking "tagline" more like Mighty Mouse had the tagline, "Here I come to save the day...", more like a motto type thing.

Which one...as in:

"That used to be my tagline until I ran across the [fat chick] I have now!"
OR
"That used to be my tagline until I ran across the [scooter] I have now!"

...it was an attempt at "word play" that failed. Horribly. ;)