PDA

View Full Version : Skilled Rider Class

Ultra AL
05-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Just started riding a motorcycle for the first time in December 2012. Took the MSF Basic Rider class at that point.

Got nearly 3000 miles on the seat now. So on Sunday - June 9th, I'm going to take the skilled rider class at Toledo H-D.

Anyone ever taken it? What did you think? Was it worth the $100?

Looks like a good way to use your own bike to practice a lot of the slow speed stuff they taught in the BRC.

Caveman
05-28-2013, 09:26 AM
I took it with MCC and I liked it. I was on my Shadow Sabre and was quite an easy course. Now that I'm on my Ultra (significantly larger and heavier) I should probably take it again. Kind of lets you know where you stand with the bike you are riding. Over all though the course wasn't difficult and actually reinforced some of the behaviors I was already rollin with and sharpened some that I had let slide since the BRC.
I would even recommend the course to be taken several times throughout your riding years. If nothing more than to just keep those skills sharp and fresh in the old library of life.

Kosher
05-28-2013, 09:35 AM
I took the Ride Like A Pro class last year. A great class, very challenging, but if you dont practice often, it wont be much good.

http://www.ridelikeapro-gl.com/

Thruxtonbill
05-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Any skills class would be a good one, and I've heard nothing but good things about the HD riders classes.

Gas Man
05-28-2013, 04:15 PM
I took the advanced from MSF on my little ninja back in the day. It wasn't bad. As Bill said, any class is a good idea.

Flexin
05-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Took the skilled class back in Delaware. Had a blast! You will learn what the bike if capable of and learn you can push it more to maneuver out of a bad situation. By the end of the two days, you will feel great. But, if you don't practice, you will loose it. But again, it was a fun. The one I took was offered by the state (HD replicated the program and even took some of the state instructors). Again that was in Delaware. Have fun!

Pioneer74
05-28-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm taking that same class. Hope the weather is nice. Why aren't you taking it closer to home at Biker Bob's?

I have to find something to wrap the crash bars, just in case I push it a little too far. Anybody have any suggestions?

Ultra AL
05-28-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm taking that same class. Hope the weather is nice. Why aren't you taking it closer to home at Biker Bob's?

I have to find something to wrap the crash bars, just in case I push it a little too far. Anybody have any suggestions?

Biker Bob's isn't offering the class. They do the Basic Rider Class, but I've already done that. Toledo isn't that far. I'm near Flat Rock in Brownstown, so it's only about an hour ride there.

I'll look for you in class. I'll be on the 2003 SuperGlide

Kosher
05-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Here's the RLAP-GL schedule, if anyone's interested: http://www.ridelikeapro-gl.com/schedule.aspx

Pioneer74
05-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Biker Bob's isn't offering the class. They do the Basic Rider Class, but I've already done that. Toledo isn't that far. I'm near Flat Rock in Brownstown, so it's only about an hour ride there.

I'll look for you in class. I'll be on the 2003 SuperGlide

I took my basic course at Bob's in 2004 when I lived in Monroe. Up until a year ago I had a Sportster. Decided to go big and got a Touring bike. Now I live in Temperance. Toledo is about 15 minutes from me.

I'll be on a 2012 Ultra Limited. I have the same username on hdforums.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/Pioneer74/Motorcycle%20Upgrades/20130512_184946_zps09d15402.jpg

Ultra AL
05-28-2013, 06:46 PM
That's a sweet ride!

Pioneer74
05-28-2013, 08:56 PM
That's a sweet ride!

Thanks! Not a recent picture. Done a little to it since then, but I doubt there will be another one there exactly like it.

I'm excited about it. Can't wait!

Bagger Dave
05-28-2013, 09:28 PM
I took my basic course at Bob's in 2004 when I lived in Monroe. Up until a year ago I had a Sportster. Decided to go big and got a Touring bike. Now I live in Temperance. Toledo is about 15 minutes from me.

I'll be on a 2012 Ultra Limited. I have the same username on hdforums.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/Pioneer74/Motorcycle%20Upgrades/20130512_184946_zps09d15402.jpg

Nice scoot! I'm rolling a 2011 Ultra Limited....same color! :rockwoot:

Caveman
05-28-2013, 09:46 PM
You can wrap the crash bars with foam pipe insulation with electrical tape and some extra duct tape to beef it up on the outside. Or...... Just don't drop it. :lmao:

Kosher
05-28-2013, 09:51 PM
http://www.proguards.net/

Caveman
05-28-2013, 10:07 PM
http://www.proguards.net/

Or those. :lmao:
I may get some of those for my scoot. Don't even look bad.

Gas Man
05-28-2013, 10:53 PM
:welcome: Pioneer.

And I, too, was going to suggest pipe wrap.

bombdog
05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
I signed up as well but have not got a call back.

Ultra AL
05-29-2013, 01:27 PM
I signed up a week ago Bomb, and I haven't gotten a call either. I'm gonna call them today.

bombdog
05-29-2013, 02:12 PM
OK tell me what they say

Pioneer74
05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
I set mine up by email. As a matter of fact, she was supposed to contact me within 2 weeks of the class to collect payment. Looks like I have to contact her as well.

Ultra AL
05-29-2013, 06:11 PM
I did mine online. She hasn't contacted me either. I called Toledo HD today, and they gave me her direct email address. I sent her an email this afternoon, I will let you know when she responds.

Pioneer74
05-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Got an email from Vickey. She's out riding in South Dakota on vacation and will be back in the store on Monday.

Moesride
05-30-2013, 10:12 PM
You can wrap the crash bars with foam pipe insulation with electrical tape and some extra duct tape to beef it up on the outside. Or...... Just don't drop it. :lmao:. Yah well, I think sooner or later your gonna drop it. Leaned mine over on the crash bar a few weeks ago. I had my soft lowers on so not a scratch although the bottom of my cvo bag scratched a bit when it touched the asphalt but you cant see it since its on the underside.

Caveman
05-31-2013, 07:09 AM
. Yah well, I think sooner or later your gonna drop it. Leaned mine over on the crash bar a few weeks ago. I had my soft lowers on so not a scratch although the bottom of my cvo bag scratched a bit when it touched the asphalt but you cant see it since its on the underside.

Oh yeah, Moe, I know the feeling. I have leaned mine over on the crash bar more than once. Always makes me cringe like I;m about to be kicked in the nuts. Then I'm just pissed off.:fu2:

:lmao:

Ultra AL
06-07-2013, 03:01 PM
OK - looks like Bombdog and Pioneer are in this class with me. Do we want to meet along the way and ride in together? BD is north of me, and I am north of Pioneer. What are you guys thinking? :whatwhat:

Chain
06-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah, Moe, I know the feeling. I have leaned mine over on the crash bar more than once. Always makes me cringe like I;m about to be kicked in the nuts. Then I'm just pissed off.:fu2:

:lmao:

Done mine once too. A friend of ours broke down, went to kick the stand down and it bounced on me, didn't lock in... I tell ya what, it didn't take me long in front of everyone to pick that heavy fuker up... luckily it didn't put but one little mark on the bag...

bombdog
06-07-2013, 04:36 PM
. Yah well, I think sooner or later your gonna drop it. Leaned mine over on the crash bar a few weeks ago. I had my soft lowers on so not a scratch although the bottom of my cvo bag scratched a bit when it touched the asphalt but you cant see it since its on the underside.

Oh I will look for it next time I see you.

bombdog
06-07-2013, 04:38 PM
OK - looks like Bombdog and Pioneer are in this class with me. Do we want to meet along the way and ride in together? BD is north of me, and I am north of Pioneer. What are you guys thinking? :whatwhat:

I never herd anything back from them. Its OK with me I really wanted to get my seat trimmed down before I took the class anyway. Yes I put it on a diet it should be smaller soon.

Pioneer74
06-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Wish I could, but can't. I would just hold you guys up. I will be returning from a trip and will be pulling into my driveway around 8:15 am. Just in time to drive to Toledo HD.

Ultra AL
06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
OK - well Pioneer, I'll see you there. Bomb, I'll look forward to riding with you another time.

bombdog
06-10-2013, 12:53 PM
OK - well Pioneer, I'll see you there. Bomb, I'll look forward to riding with you another time.

Yes, Sorry I missed it but I still had a great day and got in a little over 250 miles.

beeman07
07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
How did this class turn out? I'm thinking about signing up for their next one, but would like more information before I do.

Thx!

bombdog
07-25-2013, 10:11 AM
How did this class turn out? I'm thinking about signing up for their next one, but would like more information before I do.

Thx!

I am doing one on Sunday In Southfield its Ride like a Pro there is a thread on here with all the links.

beeman07
07-25-2013, 10:37 AM
I am doing one on Sunday In Southfield its Ride like a Pro there is a thread on here with all the links.

I've been eyeing that one up, too; but I'm not 100% sure that I'm available on Sunday. But if I do sign up, I'll see you there!

bombdog
07-25-2013, 01:26 PM
I've been eyeing that one up, too; but I'm not 100% sure that I'm available on Sunday. But if I do sign up, I'll see you there!

Sounds Good it should be a good class.

Ultra AL
07-25-2013, 07:33 PM

Thx!

It turned out great! Learned a lot, & the instructors were very knowledgable. This class really teaches you how to handle the bike well, but you have to follow through with practice afterward.

If you're a HOG member they only charge $50 for the class, and if you turn the receipt in to HOG they'll give you a $50 credit toward anything from HOG, including membership. So you can basically take the class for free.

Fastfem24
08-04-2013, 04:10 PM
I am hopefully taking the mSF training course so I can help teach next year. Maybe do my own class!

Ultra AL
08-04-2013, 04:13 PM
I am hopefully taking the mSF training course so I can help teach next year. Maybe do my own class!

That would be awesome Jess!