PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy yourself now

Mudpuppy
05-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Things aren't looking good for the future. Sooner or later we have to stop living this lie. They were right the world ended 12/21/2012 but the government is just covering it up:

http://moneymorning.com/ob-article/schiff-us-will-win-currency-war.php?code=3243

Gas Man
05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Can't live in fear man...

Mudpuppy
05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
I never live in fear. This is fucking reality. We are on thin ice. I just live everyday. Can't control what the idiot fucks running this world will do next. But something big is about to happen. You can live in fantasy world or you can accept it. Then if you accept it you can crawl under a rock and hide or just go out there and live every day to the fullest. Which is probably what you should do anyways because who knows when your time is up anyways.

junkyardjon
05-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Dont people say this everyday? I could care less about this shit anymore.all it means to me is i can move to the cabin and not work

leebo
05-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Dont people say this everyday? I could care less about this shit anymore.all it means to me is i can move to the cabin and not workIm with you on this one jon!I care whats happenin but im not gonna jump off a cliff.

Mad Dog
05-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Economic collapse is probably the most likely scenario for the decline of America. Our consuming nature will eventually turn on us. i'm just not sure how soon it may be. Too many Americans have learned to be dependent on the infrastructure and should it fail most will have no backup plan. As all homeowners have, or should have fire insurance it is recommended that everyone have some sort of survival backup plan. That is not paranoid. It is reality. JMO

telecast
05-14-2013, 11:35 AM
As all homeowners have, or should have fire insurance it is recommended that everyone have some sort of survival backup plan. That is not paranoid. It is reality. JMO

Did you know the shelf life of SPAM is idefinite, as long as the can doesn't get damaged or expand? Most canned goods are the same, and all can be eaten without cooking.

The gub'ment recommends a three day supply of food and water on hand. We've started to put a little away, but how much is enough? If I plan for the 3 days and I come up short, I'm just an idiot. Should I plan for a month? 6 months? A year?

I recently purchased supply of freeze dried food from Cabela's when it was on sale for $69, enough to last us 5 days, or 3 days with my eldest daughter and her husband. It has a 25 year shelf life. We have a few canned goods as well, some dried goods. Not a lot, but some. The last thing I want to do is become a prepper, but I can see the value in having some stores laid in. I'd like to get a good first aid kit and a water purifier.

My survival backup plan is to hunt and fish for food using the same guns I'd use for protection. How much ammo is enough? I currently have several thousand rounds. How long will that last? What if we get into a defensive situation and use it all up?

There's preparing and then there's paranoia. I want to do the former while avoiding the latter.

:blowup:

junkyardjon
05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I plan on eating people that run out of bullets...

Mudpuppy
05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
I plan on eating people that run out of bullets...

Good plan. Me too. I'll bring the flatware. You bring the propane.

Nobody
05-15-2013, 02:11 AM
I've said it before, 7 billion+ is a hell of a large food supply....

Chain
05-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Did you know the shelf life of SPAM is idefinite, as long as the can doesn't get damaged or expand? Most canned goods are the same, and all can be eaten without cooking.

The gub'ment recommends a three day supply of food and water on hand. We've started to put a little away, but how much is enough? If I plan for the 3 days and I come up short, I'm just an idiot. Should I plan for a month? 6 months? A year?

I recently purchased supply of freeze dried food from Cabela's when it was on sale for $69, enough to last us 5 days, or 3 days with my eldest daughter and her husband. It has a 25 year shelf life. We have a few canned goods as well, some dried goods. Not a lot, but some. The last thing I want to do is become a prepper, but I can see the value in having some stores laid in. I'd like to get a good first aid kit and a water purifier.

My survival backup plan is to hunt and fish for food using the same guns I'd use for protection. How much ammo is enough? I currently have several thousand rounds. How long will that last? What if we get into a defensive situation and use it all up?

There's preparing and then there's paranoia. I want to do the former while avoiding the latter.

:blowup:

There are truly tons of canned/freeze dried/ dehydrated foods that can be used beyond it's exp date. If kept in a cool dry area. My wife is great at preparing, even though she's a full time mother, takes care of our house, and works 50 hours a week, she also is a "coupon-er"... so, when she buys she buys cheap and stacks it deep! Things like macaroni, pasta's are all dehydrated, and will last as long as you can keep the elements and critters out of. Flour, sugar, salt, certain spices, the same.

The best canned is Keystone meats, Hormel chilly, Dinty Moore canned stews, all have been tested to last 10+ years. (I have cans I still test 7 years old, and still good to go)(Articles I've read, self testing etc.) Instant coffee... I have a shit load of that, even though we don't drink that crap normally? It will last for ever, and that is one thing I'd like to have if the SHTF... need my coffee for the safety of others... The FDA forces company's to put a 2-3 year exp date on them, unless they go under extensive testing and can prove other... so many just put the easy exp date on rather than go threw the expense of extensive testing. We also grow quite a garden, and can all our foods in it. Tomatoes, peppers, pickles, potatoes, corn, green beans, carrots, salsa's, etc. Along with meats, venison, beef. That stuff can last damn near indefinite. And it's really not hard or expensive, the wife and I will spend a weekend canning, while tipping a bottle of wine or two... good comradeship. :) There are special companies that will sell you freeze dried, or dehydrated supplies. http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Emergency_Survival_Food_s/104.htm is one I've sampled before, and it's good shit, shit you could eat on a everyday basis... its a thought to consider.

We have a Big Berkey water filter, used it camping in Canada for years, so that's our water plan if needed.

Along with her couponing, comes the huge stock of TP, Deodorants, soaps, tooth pastes, First aid supplies, women supplies, etc. NON perishables like these will be a comfort if SHTF.

I'm NOT a prepper by no means, Although it may sound like it... I know more that are far more prepared to where it consumes there everyday life... I want to live today, as well as tomorrow. (we ride 10k a year, mostly on the weekends, plus a 60 hour a week job, so we don't have time for that shit) I am however prepared for short term SHTF crap. Right now, we figure 8-12 months. Being an FFL dealer and all, I do have a few arms, and maybe a round or two...

If your thinking of just hunting for your food, consider this, you see the woods on opening day of firearm deer? Take that and multiply it by 10 if SHTF. Something to think about... NOT to mention being in the open with all them damn zombies!!! ;)

I'm in no way a professional in this regard, I have to many other things goin on in my life to focus entirely on this, so take it as you will, it may not work for you, but it seems to gel with my family and our busy schedules.

Mudpuppy
05-15-2013, 12:53 PM
I am trying to talk the wife into investing in some of this:

http://wisefoodstorage.com/long-term-food-supply.html

Chain
05-15-2013, 02:08 PM
I am trying to talk the wife into investing in some of this:

http://wisefoodstorage.com/long-term-food-supply.html

I'd suggest you try small pack first... Only reason I say this is I have a friend in FL and one up here that bought some, and they both tried multiple meals, said it was definitely edible, but NOTING they'ed want to eat on a regular basis. I know, "it's for emergencies, and if your hungry you'll eat it" Yes, true, but if there was a better product for the same or less $ I'd rather NOT have to say "well, this is better than starving". I'd rather say, "wow, this is good shit, why didn't the SHTF a lot earlier" ;) js.

Most places I have bought from I've bought sampler packs, or small lots and tried, I have NOT tried wise foods however, just what 2 friends have told me.

Mudpuppy
05-15-2013, 03:34 PM
yeah I have a sample at the house just have to make it

Mad Dog
05-15-2013, 04:37 PM
I tried a wise sample. Really wasn't too bad. Just remember everything is better with hot sauce.

Mudpuppy
05-16-2013, 11:52 AM
I tried a wise sample. Really wasn't too bad. Just remember everything is better with hot sauce.

this is true! you know it is a good mexican restaurant if they have this shit on the fucking table:

http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/images/Cholula-hot-sauce.jpg

Chain
05-16-2013, 01:22 PM
http://hotsaucemakeseverythingtastebetter.com/

^^^^
True!!!

telecast
05-16-2013, 01:45 PM
The stuff Cabela's sells under their name is the same as Wise or Mountain House, but comes with 60 servings and 4 fuel cells to heat water. It's on sale right now for $70. I did a little research before I bought this. Not sure at what point a quantity buy would outpace this price, but if you're looking at a bucket or two this costs less and has more food.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_540778_999_01?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Survival-Navigation/Emergency-Camping-Food%7C/pc/104795280/c/104774580/sc/105517080/Cabelas-Emergency-Food-Bucket-60-Servings/1368658.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Femer gency-camping-food%2F_%2FN-1102379%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105517080%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 95280%253Bcat104774580&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104795280%3Bcat104774580%3Bcat105 517080

Mudpuppy
05-16-2013, 01:47 PM
The stuff Cabela's sells under their name is the same as Wise or Mountain House, but comes with 60 servings and 4 fuel cells to heat water. It's on sale right now for $70. I did a little research before I bought this. Not sure at what point a quantity buy would outpace this price, but if you're looking at a bucket or two this costs less and has more food.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_540778_999_01?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Survival-Navigation/Emergency-Camping-Food%7C/pc/104795280/c/104774580/sc/105517080/Cabelas-Emergency-Food-Bucket-60-Servings/1368658.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Femer gency-camping-food%2F_%2FN-1102379%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105517080%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 95280%253Bcat104774580&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104795280%3Bcat104774580%3Bcat105 517080

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

telecast
05-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Just did some math. Wise food has a 240 serving package for $469. The Cabela's product at the sale price would cost you $280 for the same number of servings, 60 per bucket X 4 buckets X $70 each. Even at full price the Cabela's brand is $70 less.

Downside: Cabela's doesn't offer much variety, only the one bucket.

Word of warning: The price listed is online only. Order it and have it shipped to the store, same price and no shipping cost. In the store it's $80 on sale. Regular price $100.

Mudpuppy
05-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Just did some math. Wise food has a 240 serving package for $469. The Cabela's product at the sale price would cost you $280 for the same number of servings, 60 per bucket X 4 buckets X $70 each. Even at full price the Cabela's brand is $70 less.

Downside: Cabela's doesn't offer much variety, only the one bucket.

Word of warning: The price listed is online only. Order it and have it shipped to the store, same price and no shipping cost. In the store it's $80 on sale. Regular price $100.

Interesting. But Wise is big time on having you talk to a live rep and then they give you a better price - probably so they can upsale you.