PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Motorcycle accidents grew by double digits last year

Kosher
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2013/05/motorcycle_crashes_rose_by_dou.html#incart_river_d efault

I'm going to take flack for this, but I wish they would break out sport bikes vs touring bikes.

Almost universally, my personal experience is that the overwhelming majority of reckless behavior *that I see* is sport bike riders.

To me, this does not seem like a catastrophic increase given what the article says is an increase in ridership. Truthfully I thought the fatalities would be worse.

DETROIT, MI - Motorcycle crashes rose by 15 percent to 1,326 incidents in Metro Detroit in 2012, according to the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG). SEMCOG released motorcycle crash totals for Southeast Michigan Monday as part of what it says is Motorcycle Safety Awareness month (http://www.michigan-motorcycle-awareness.org/index.htm).“As part of its transportation safety awareness program, SEMCOG shares these statistics and encourages all motorists to 'Share the Road' with motorcycles and to be extra alert when driving to help keep them safe,” the agency said. “Motorcyclists are reminded to make themselves visible to other motorists in case other drivers are not looking out for them.”
Of the total crashes in Southeast Michigan last year, 50 of them were fatal, compared with 46 fatal crashes in 2011.
Last year was the first year motorcyclists were legally allowed to ride in Michiganwithout wearing a helmet (http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/medical_and_insurance_coalitio.html).
In Wayne County, there were 461 crashes last year, and 20 of them were fatal, compared to 422 total crashes with 17 fatalities in 2011.
For Oakland County, there were 313 motorcycle accidents in 2012, against 258 crashes in 2011. There were seven fatal crashes in Oakland last year, compared with nine in 2011.
Macomb County had 231 motorcycle crashes in 2012, against 186 in 2011. Nine of the accidents were fatal, compared with six fatal crashes in 2011.
“As the weather improves, more rand more motorcyclists are on the roads. With that in mind, drivers of all vehicles need to be extra attentive and make sure to ‘share the road,’” Paul Tait, SEMCOG Executive Director, said in a statement.
“Motorcyclists have responsibilities, too,” added Carmine Palombo, SEMCOG Plan Implementation. “They should follow the rules of the roadway and be alert to other drivers. We do not know if there is a correlation between Michigan’s 2012 law change lifting the helmet requirement and the increase in accidents, injuries, and fatalities. We do, however, urge all motorcycle riders to wear helmets.”

Gas Man
05-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Instead of telling motorcyclist to make themselves visable to those that don't look for us... why don't they yell at the cagers to look for us. I mean COME ON!!

Mudpuppy
05-06-2013, 01:20 PM
I don't take issue to your observation and I ride a sportbike. I agree. Most of the idiots are on sportbikes. Pisses me off because they give everyone in the 2 wheel community a bad name. No flak from me. Funny too how it was same timeframe as helmet laws changed.

What the root of the problem is for this is RIDER EDUCATION. Need a lot more of it. It's super easy to get a bike especially now with the dawn of the can am. They advertise you can buy one and be riding tomorrow. Not good. So I could buy a can am, license up, sell it and go buy a GSXR 1000 then do my own remake of the movie torque?

bombdog
05-06-2013, 02:05 PM
I agree that its usually the sportbikes but Friday a saw a Street Glide lane splitting on 696. Twice I thought he was going down its just stupid. If traffics that bad and your bike is really heating up ride on the median not between cars.

leebo
05-06-2013, 03:12 PM
I agree that its mostly the sportbikes with these youngkids that think their invincible and cant be hurt.what makes me sad is when i see a young girl on the back that hes endangering also.

Kosher
05-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Just sayin: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/1-killed-on-head-on-crash-between-motorcycles-on-Hwy-101-206260101.html

Mad Dog
05-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Saw a young guy on a rocket last year with a girl on the back. Pulled up behind them at a light and saw cord showing on his rear tire. Light changed we both made a left then a right onto the freeway. The rider twisted it and was gone in a flash. Still wonder if they made it home that night.

Nobody
05-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Instead of telling motorcyclist to make themselves visable to those that don't look for us... why don't they yell at the cagers to look for us. I mean COME ON!!

This is 'Murica, where we blame the victims.. duh. Get hit by a car "OMG YOU SHOULD HAVE MADE YOURSELF MORE VISIBLE!!!11!!!1!!"

I've been saying it for a long time education for everyone across the board, more so for the cages since they're responsible for 80% of motorcycle related incidents.

deep purple
05-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Around here all the fatal M/C accidents were guys on Harleys. Booze was involved in all the accidents. That being said I amazed that none of the sport guys did'nt manage to kill themselves.

RedneckMedic
05-07-2013, 10:23 AM
I can say that out of all the accidents I've ever responding to every single one was a harley not just a cruiser but a harley. And on ALL occasions a helmet made there day much much better. The last on saturday guy was leaving biker bobs on his new to him ultra and he just finished the riders edge course on wednesday or something like that and first time out on the road and smoked a van he didn't even make it a hundred feet his first ride on the road. But his helmet an a inch long scrap down into the plastic a few millimeters which would have been his head not allowed him to enjoy the hotdogs they were grilling that day while the service dept wrote up his repair list.

Kosher
05-07-2013, 11:27 AM
I can say that out of all the accidents I've ever responding to every single one was a harley not just a cruiser but a harley. And on ALL occasions a helmet made there day much much better. The last on saturday guy was leaving biker bobs on his new to him ultra and he just finished the riders edge course on wednesday or something like that and first time out on the road and smoked a van he didn't even make it a hundred feet his first ride on the road. But his helmet an a inch long scrap down into the plastic a few millimeters which would have been his head not allowed him to enjoy the hotdogs they were grilling that day while the service dept wrote up his repair list.

This months AI mag has an article that claims that a large percentage of accidents are on bikes that are new to the rider. I was a bit suprised by that

Mudpuppy
05-07-2013, 01:24 PM
This months AI mag has an article that claims that a large percentage of accidents are on bikes that are new to the rider. I was a bit suprised by that

Makes sense to me - new bike and/or new rider = disaster with improper training as the whipped cream and cherry on top

Gas Man
05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm with Mud on this!

Kosher
05-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Makes sense to me - new bike and/or new rider = disaster with improper training as the whipped cream and cherry on top

It makes a certain amount of sense to me, but - I dont remember what figure they quoted, but it led me to believe that you could just stand outside your dealer for a day and see at least a couple of bikes drop as the leave!

RedneckMedic
05-07-2013, 09:30 PM
He said the throttle stuck but i say the 103 was just a shit ton more power than he had in the class

Caveman
05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
I know that on occasion when I'm about to ride off on a bike thats unfamiliar to me I like to take a sec to check the layout of the controls and feet positions. I know that most layouts are universal but when you have been riding one bike for 3 or 4 years that 30-40 seconds could mean your attention being completely on the road and surroundings rather than looking for that blinker or reaching for the shifter that may be a few inches further or closer.

Gas Man
05-08-2013, 07:19 AM
He said the throttle stuck but i say the 103 was just a shit ton more power than he had in the class

Throttle stuck because when it started to go down he probably pinned it!

RedneckMedic
05-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Throttle stuck because when it started to go down he probably pinned it!

He didn't go down he rode almost straight into a van causing about 1 foot on intrusion into the passenger side sliding door.

Gas Man
05-08-2013, 05:35 PM
WOW!! I still think he panicked and pinned it!

Remo
05-08-2013, 11:55 PM
I read an article in the Detroit News a month or so back and they were saying the increase in motorcycle accidents could also be due to an increase in out-of-state ridership.

Gas Man
05-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Oh true. Because of the lifted helmet laws.

bombdog
05-09-2013, 08:33 AM

I took my class on a buel blast that is a rocket ship it's a Buel like a racing bike my 103 is just a big hunk a Bagger......

junkyardjon
06-01-2013, 03:35 AM
The same corner almost , some ass hat leaving the bank pulls out in front on me. People fought burger king opening there for that very reason. I know they see my cause they stair right at me like im bothering them. Had one dude do that when i wad driving my truck. I pulled inches away from his drivers door and sat there for about 20 seconds into the light turned to red. I'm thinking of putting a air horn on for this very reason and im not joking and a huge push bar on the front of my truck. Thinking some along the lines of mad max style.