PDA

View Full Version : Active duty soldier harrassed while open carrying with his kid...

Dirty
04-17-2013, 09:31 AM
I can't believe the way this guy is treated while out on a hike with his kid. I see a big cash reward in his future... which he will need since this whole thing jeopardizes his military retirement in a year and a half

http://youtu.be/A8r4MK3R4PI

Here is the article (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/345714/free-cj-grisham) that goes along with the video

Gas Man
04-17-2013, 09:52 AM
This is so blatant. The police are not allowed to disarm you. Period.

Bagger Dave
04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
wow! that is bullshit! WTF is wrong with people now days!?!

Hawgrider
04-17-2013, 12:04 PM
I think most of the problem is ..... This took place in Texas. Open carry is illegal in Texas. And the guy was looking for trouble just like some of the open carriers here in mich. He was armed with a vid camera anticipating a confrontation.

Thruxtonbill
04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
I think most of the problem is ..... This took place in Texas. Open carry is illegal in Texas. And the guy was looking for trouble just like some of the open carriers here in mich. He was armed with a vid camera anticipating a confrontation.

Bam, I think you nailed it.

Kosher
04-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Open carry is illegal in Texas.

Counter-intuitive fact of the day.

Chain
04-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Texas Penal Code 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits
an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on
or about his person a HANDGUN (emphasis added by me), illegal knife, or club.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under
this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third
degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or
issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

I'd say the cop in this video had the problem... and so what if he was "looking for trouble" I was "looking for trouble" all the time I didn't wear a helmet when the law was as such, THIS DOES NOT SUBJECT ONE TO THE TREATMENT HE RECEIVED.

Hawgrider
04-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Counter-intuitive fact of the day.

Texas Penal Code 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits
an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on
or about his person a HANDGUN (emphasis added by me), illegal knife, or club.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under
this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third
degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or
issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

I'd say the cop in this video had the problem... and so what if he was "looking for trouble" I was "looking for trouble" all the time I didn't wear a helmet when the law was as such, THIS DOES NOT SUBJECT ONE TO THE TREATMENT HE RECEIVED.

I dont claim to be an expert on Texas law..... Still the guy was looking for trouble and he involved his kid Yeah he gets father of the year award.

But this confrontation bullshit looking for trouble...... he found it.

Thruxtonbill
04-17-2013, 03:29 PM

I have no dog in this fight. Having said that, maybe I need to watch the vid again or atleast watch the whole thing (doubtful), is he walking down the road with an assault rifle? Really? What did he expect the popo to do? Wave and say have a nice day?

Mudpuppy
04-17-2013, 04:32 PM
I open carry at my house and if you have a problem with that come on over

telecast
04-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Like it or not, here in Michigan there is no law saying you can't. It is perfectly legal, albeit a bit stupid in my mind.

No idea what Texas law is.

Pigpen
04-17-2013, 05:51 PM
In this day and age, If you walk down a road carrying an assault style weapon your going to draw attention to yourself.

junkyardjon
04-17-2013, 07:47 PM
the cop should of just shot him in the head and claimed he pointed the rifle at him. i'm sick of seeing these ass clowns try to bait the popo, for what?
yeah no shit he was stopped and asked wtf are you stupid boy !!! who gives a flying fuck if this douche bag is in the military, like that changes the fact he's a stupid fucker. nope, he thinks he's all high and mighty

you can't tell anything from the video about what happened before that. maybe the dick weed was trying to kidnap the kid. maybe he had the rifle pointed at the kids back making him walk out to BFE before he killed him.

Thruxtonbill
04-17-2013, 07:54 PM
I see a big cash reward in his future...

Ahhhh No

Gas Man
04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Google says open carry is illegal in Texas. So that puts this guy in a pickle.

I open carry my sidearm all the time on the bike. Have yet to be harrassed by the law. Hell last fall did it from Mackinaw clear home, even through a traffic jam in the saginaw area.

Pigpen
04-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Gas I believe , that if you are on your bike riding it isn't considered open carry until u step off your bike. It's kinda like putting your gun on the dash of your vehicle when your driving. My cpl instructor told me this at our class.

Gas Man
04-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Well I also have a CPL, so I'm fine either way.

RedneckMedic
04-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Ya but the way you "open" carry chris you can't see it under your jacket.

This fucker was an idiot. Its one thing to open carry your pistol since its a fairly normal occurrence. When you open carry your AR down the side of what looked like a fairly busy two laner your asking to get pulled over. Who does a ten mile hike on the side of the road anyways. Go find a state park and actually earn that eagle badge. Anyone can make it ten miles when you have stores to stop into.

Me and my frat buddies used to go to a state park in ohio that had a 17 mile trail and the group of new guys would have to walk the trail and 2 of us would go ahead and post up with the paint ball guns and if they didn't point out our location they would get shot. It was great team building for them and a hell of a lot of fun for me.

Gas Man
04-18-2013, 02:01 PM
No, I have had it on the open open before... you catch some looks but beyond looks the only difference is nobody tail gates you. :lol:

Dirty
04-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Texas law prohibits open carrying a handgun...long guns are ok.

I don't think this guy is out trying to cause a problem...they are on a road in the middle of the dessert from what I can tell. I did not rewatch the whole video but scanned through it again and did not see one car pass by. If he was trying to make some kind of political statement or push his agenda I would assume he would do it where other people are...not in the middle of nowhere. He is on a hike with his son, which at some point in time I imagine they would have to be on a road to either get there or leave.

Regardless of how he got there or how anyone feels about it (I personally would never open carry), if he was not breaking the law (you can carry a long gun in texas) he should not be stopped and harrassed by law enforcement. If you are ok with this because he's stupid for doing it, then what's the point in having rights. We should just have cops walking up to everyone demanding to see their paperwork, and everyone can be guilty until you prove your innocence

Thruxtonbill
04-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Texas law prohibits open carrying a handgun...long guns are ok.

I don't think this guy is out trying to cause a problem...they are on a road in the middle of the dessert from what I can tell. I did not rewatch the whole video but scanned through it again and did not see one car pass by. If he was trying to make some kind of political statement or push his agenda I would assume he would do it where other people are...not in the middle of nowhere. He is on a hike with his son, which at some point in time I imagine they would have to be on a road to either get there or leave.

Regardless of how he got there or how anyone feels about it (I personally would never open carry), if he was not breaking the law (you can carry a long gun in texas) he should not be stopped and harrassed by law enforcement. If you are ok with this because he's stupid for doing it, then what's the point in having rights. We should just have cops walking up to everyone demanding to see their paperwork, and everyone can be guilty until you prove your innocence

First of all, I think you can get dessert in Texas but that does not look like any desert I've ever seen. Second, .....DUDE... it's an assault rifle, not a hunting rifle. Did he tell the cops he was hunting? I didn't hear it. I guess you could hunt with it but that rifle is made for killing humans, also, it's 2013, there have been shootings and bombings. The very fact that you're defending this guy has me puzzled.

RedneckMedic
04-19-2013, 04:27 PM
It may be a rifle but its not a long gun. The lower is registered as pistol.

junkyardjon
04-19-2013, 08:51 PM
that dick bag is hostile and i don't see the police doing anything wrong.

WILEY
04-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Watched the video. Man seemed upset beyond what situation called for, police did not seem overly aggressive. I am not a big fan of the ego driven, looking for a problem type of cop. just didn't see that here. I would like to see the initial approach. think about it, you roll up on some guy walking along in the middle of nowhere with a kid. Asking a question about hey whats going on today would seem pretty normal. The guy getting irate immediately would raise questions in my mind and make me dig deeper. Do the same thing over and it turns into a casual roadside conversation with the police. "hey guys whats going on?" oh we are hiking over to my buddies to teach my son how to shoot my new AR. "Oh is he just up the road?? Yeah Benny is bout a mile up on the right" "Well you guys have fun and be safe, just wanted to make sure everything was ok" Cop leaves and circles back around later to see and listen for gunshots at Bennys. At this guys age and with military experience, he should know how to handle himself better.

Caveman
04-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Ok, I am not a big fan of the looking for trouble sort either. However, this individual was not wrong. In Texas, where I was stationed for 3.5 years while in the Army(Temple is just outside of Ft Hood), you can carry a long gun openly. The area that he is in is not dessert but more like open plains with woods sprinkled in here and there. Two lane roads like the one in the video are traveled but not very busy. Not one to try and make an example if that was what he was trying to do. I think I saw one white Dodge Ram drive by. An AR (better known as an Assault Rifle) is considered a long gun, not a pistol. The lower is registered as a pistol only if it doesn't have the shoulderstock and the overall length of the weapon is LESS than 14". I am sure he didn't start getting hostile till the officer started "Handling" him and trying to take the weapon. As he stated if the officer had asked to have the weapon verified safe by removing the mag and locking the bolt of the rifle to the rear he would have complied to alleviate any fears the officer may have had. He could have then asked if he had a permit to carry and if he was carrying anything else. When he had his wallet in his hand and the officer "TOOK" the wallet that was infringing on his 4th ammendment rights to illegal search and seizure, as well as the removing of the weapons. He didn't consent to search. Like was said earlier what good are our rights if we aren't able to use them. The police have this sense of entitlement because of the badge that they wear. They aren't entitled to do anything they want just because they work for the police.
I don't really like to play the "If/Then" game as I didn't see what happened before the video started and I don't have a viewpoint from the officers to compare. There are a million differen't directions that this whole event could have gone for some simple differences.
Please don't take this that I am trying to argue the case for the individual in question or bash the cops. I am merely stating the facts of the arguements shared in this thread and hope that a little more understanding is can be taken to understand whats happened here is unfortunate for the individual and the kid, as well as for the police.

Gas Man
04-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Good assessment and first hand knowledge of the area!!

Mudpuppy
04-22-2013, 04:50 PM
so I could walk around in texas pantless and air out my "long" rifle? sweet.

Thruxtonbill
04-22-2013, 05:28 PM
so I could walk around in texas pantless and air out my "snub nose" sweet.

Fixed, stubby.

Caveman
04-23-2013, 09:14 AM
fixed, stubby.

nice!!!

Mudpuppy
04-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks Bill you're the best