PDA

View Full Version : Curse of a salesman

Thruxtonbill
04-16-2013, 05:04 PM
In Dec of 09 I left my used car mgr job at Meade Dodge for reasons that really don't matter, let's just say, it was killing me. I'm a lucky guy in the fact that my wife and I own a catering biz that pays our bills, so finding a job right away was not something I had to do. I started selling wholesale cars for a buddy and then tried my hand at outside sales for ADT, that lasted about a year and a half. I got tired of driving down to the hood to sell security systems to deadbeat scum and the pay was not great after you gased up your car 3 or 4 times a week.

Now my wife runs the day to day operations in the catering biz and I help out a few hours a day with stocking and other minimal tasks but I needed more and I missed banking the extra cash, so I started looking for another sales job. I posted my resume on various sites and started the process of weeding through the bullshit. I was getting about 5 emails a day and a few phone calls a week, mostly BS. Then about 2 weeks ago I got a call from Randy at First financial ins in Carlton Mi, I told him I was not really interested in inhouse intangable sales much less in Carlton, as I live in Shelby twp, to which he quickley replied "we're looking for an outside sales person"...huh? Seems they had leads that range 10 to 15 miles from my zip, ok I was still listening and agreed to come in for an interview. That was last week and the interview went well telling me all the things I wanted to hear even though I showed up very guarded. They called me in for a second interview (today) to which I was supposed to meet the owner. This is when things went a complete 180. I got tag teamed by 2 greasy fucks that were as transparent as glass, every other word from their mouths were lies, in a nutshell they wanted me to scam low income old people out of the little money they had and wanted me to give them $115 so I could get my license. Needless to say I left and almost puked in the parking lot (no shit), I needed a shower bad.
Here's the point, I'm cursed, I have very little skills other then I can talk and sell, the problem? I have to deal with the scum that employ people like me, selling cars to bad credit deadbeats is one thing, scamming old people out of money is another.
Sorry this is so long winded, just needed to vent.

Mad Dog
04-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Know what you mean about the car biz. Sold New GM's for about 5 years. Job burned me out. Did well but needed to move on. Got my CDL and started driving truck.

Nobody
04-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Similar reasons I left comcast back in 01'. I got too worn out with having to bullshit people and sell shit to them that they just didn't need nor really wanted.

leebo
04-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Hey Bill theres quite a few evil people out there at least you didnt go along with them so good for you!!

Gas Man
04-16-2013, 06:30 PM
That blows man.

You like motorcycles... have you considered selling bikes?

Thruxtonbill
04-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys

That blows man.

You like motorcycles... have you considered selling bikes?
Only bikes I would consider selling is Triumph (go figure right?) Powersports is like the car biz, besides I don't want to be responsible for some newb kid on a R6 and find out he splattered himself. HD? wouldn't be me. BMW? well I have a soul so that's out.
Mostly kidding here guys, truth is MC sales is way to much like the car biz...less the money.

My other love is golf, been playing my whole life, funny thing is I got a call after I posted my rant, from Dicks to work in the golf dept, not much money but that's ok, less stress so we'll see, got an interview tomorrow at noon. This way I can still help out the wife.

Gas Man
04-16-2013, 10:07 PM
I understand Bill. Good luck with the interview at Dicks! Which one?

junkyardjon
04-16-2013, 10:08 PM
whats wrong with BMW?