PDA

View Full Version : Interested in riding, and never have owned a bike. Need help!

Twest9
04-02-2013, 06:23 AM
When it comes to motorcycles, I'm pretty ignorant, but I've always wanted to ride and learn. Interested in buying a cruiser, just not sure what is right for me. I want to use it mostly for long rides on the E way and back roads. Anyone have a good site or can share experiences w brands and types. For my first bike I'm looking to spend around 2000, enough to get a decent riding bike?

Kosher
04-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Welcome to TWM! $2K is a bit low if you plan on having a bike for long rides, unless you can find a basket case and try to fix it up. Others on this forum can give you some advice as well.

RedneckMedic
04-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Ive got my buddies 97 kawi in my garage that is clean just needs pipes seat and headlight he would let go for 2 grand theres just no title. It wouldnt reallybe great for long hauls though. Try and save a couple extra grand and look into like a mid 2000 VTX 1300. Also before all that sign up for msf safety course they 25 bucks and the best way to get started riding.

Gas Man
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
:welcome:

$2k is a bit low with that expectations... unless you can get into an older Wing. Buzz would know about the older wings.

That amount would be good for a nice around the town bike, but to get into touring, that's a bit tougher. Jon might have more ideas on bikes like that, he's way more handy with that, then I am. I think he makes $3k bikes out $500 worth of parts!

Heck I've got a ton of money just in touring add ons and gear. But then again I'm one of the obsessed ones.

You been looking on craigslist?

RedneckMedic
04-02-2013, 11:57 AM
As far as mid level touring this is the route I would go. Hit em with an offer for a solid 4 grand and see what happens.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3678203432.html

Or PM me your number and we can talk on the phone. Or on one of our church rides show up and get all the help you could ever want.

Remo
04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Welcome to TWMI. I have a Buell Blast I'm selling (see my ad in the for sale section of this forum) it's not a cruiser but it is a great entry level motorcycle for a novice to learn the streets with. Either way, good luck in your searches, I highly recommend taking the MSF beginner riders course.

Thruxtonbill
04-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Welcome.
How do you know you want a cruiser? I would recomend a standard until you figure out what and haow you want to ride. I also suggest that you take the MSF course, it's cheap and it will give you an idea, for which now you have none.

If you take the course and still want to continue then buy the cheapest, safest bike you can find, it really does not matter what type it is. You'll need a year with a motor between your legs to learn how to ride and stay alive. Most likely you will drop this bike atleast once in your first year.

Also, riding a motorcycle is dangerous, it's as shit load of fun but dangerous. I'm not at all trying to talk you out of it, I just want you to understand. Good luck.

Thruxtonbill
04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
BTW, I do not recommend a 1300 CC bike to a beginner, sorry RM.

horrorbusiness
04-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Turbo hayabusa, great starter bike.

Mudpuppy
04-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome to TWMI. I have a Buell Blast I'm selling (see my ad in the for sale section of this forum) it's not a cruiser but it is a great entry level motorcycle for a novice to learn the streets with. Either way, good luck in your searches, I highly recommend taking the MSF beginner riders course.

Yes my thoughts exactly the blast would be awesome for a starter bike and right in your price range. Low mileage so it will be reliable. Gasman post a link please. If that is not your tastes look for like a Ninja 500, SV600, FZR600, Ninja 250 or something in that range. All in your price budget and good starter bike to learn the ropes.

RedneckMedic
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
For the cruisers whether its 1300 or 500 or 750 the speed factor isnt all that much different. The vtx is a very tame 1300. I'm a firm believer that a ninja 250 will kill ya faster than a full size cruiser if your you screw up and twist the throttle too much. I've been in that spot where you want a larger more comfortable bike but listened to everyone and started small and a week later on my first highway ride I regretted it not having the extra power. My 750 shadow hated going over 70 mph. Just test drive what you can and make sure YOUR comfortable with it before you by.

Moesride
04-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Yup....agree with what RM said as far as not getting something to small that you'll regret a month down the road. I don't have any personal experience with sport bikes but if you can get your hands on say a VTX 1300 , you'll be happy with it. I had one for a few years and it is a very manageable bike.

Gas Man
04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
That VTX is nice and will run forever, but again... $4k range not $2k.

Remo's blast would be good for the price range and then he could spend his time & money to make it into a cool cruiser if he wants, BUT it won't be a touring bike.

And Echo a MSF or if you ahve the extra money the riders edge at the HD dealers, is WAY better than MSF. If not for any other reason than better bikes. But you get what you pay for... MSF @ $25 or riders edge at ~$200

junkyardjon
04-02-2013, 07:40 PM
welcome to TWM

$2000 can and will buy a nice bike but you might wanna wait into tax time is over. alot of bikes are over priced right now. look at late 90's - early 2000 shadow's, always a good bike and can be bought in your price range with low miles. just put a few bucks away every week into you find something, it ad's up.

hell look at standard bike's like suggested aready, alot of bang for the buck.

i have a 76 goldwing for sale, i've been riding the shit out of it and is reliable. i'll put it up against anything here for a long haul ride. but your not looking for a goldwing LOL.

turbo busa would be nice too....

BuckHunter
04-02-2013, 08:20 PM
My first bike was a 2002 gixxer 750. Bought it brand new. never dropped it or laid it down but i grew up riding dirt bikes and quads since i was a little kid. comfort level is different for everyone so like these guys said i would take a riding course and also test ride anything u can get your hands on to see what you are comfortable on. The second you ride scared its already too late. thats how people get hurt. stay in YOUR comfort zone and enjoy.

Bagger Dave
04-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Welcome :cheers: as others said...test ride and get something that your comfortable with and enjoy....

Gas Man
04-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Forgot to mention shadows. Good idea... basically the pre-vtx with same great reliability.

Thruxtonbill
04-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Here are some good ones
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/3719719942.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/3718473724.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3708025603.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/3679708515.html

Gas Man
04-03-2013, 07:07 PM
The ninja 500 was my first bike and a great bike. The motors are bullet proof!

Gas Man
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
and great call on the nighthawk and marauder!!! That first nighthawkis half setup.

Thruxtonbill
04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
and great call on the nighthawk and marauder!!! That first nighthawkis half setup.

The second nighthawk looks brand new, check out the pipes, the things never seen the wet.

Gas Man
04-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Yeah I notice that... wonder what the milage is.

TopShelf Scott
04-03-2013, 08:54 PM

:didntdo:
Welcome to the forum!!!!:biggun:

Caveman
04-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the assylum. We all float down here

Twest9
04-04-2013, 04:55 AM
Well I got a lot more info than I was expecting, I appreciate all of it. I'm going to sign up for the class, and I really like the look of the shadows. Definitely going to want to get a feel for different bikes though. I will post a few I liked on here when I'm not on my phone. Thanks again for the info though everyone.

Gas Man
04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
See, what a great forum!! :cheers:

TopShelf Scott
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
See, what a great forum!! :cheers:
Why yes......yes it is!!!!! Group hug!!!!! Come guys bend down so Gas can hug too.....Oh shit
I said Gas and bend in the same sentence!!!!:lmao:

Gas Man
04-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Look out Scott... I'll put ya to work!

junkyardjon
04-04-2013, 09:22 PM
the later model nighthawks like posted are pretty good riders.

bombdog
04-05-2013, 04:16 PM
X2 on the Riders Edge it may cost a little more but what you learn could save your life and the class is on buell blast so if you like them you know where you can get one.