PDA

View Full Version : Just saying "hi"

chopsmitty
04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Checking in from Hawaii - been putting on some miles and thinking of you all back in Michigan.

Got this from a friend on FB... thought you may enjoy. It's exactly how I think.

"I don't get the hipster chopper movement, I just don't. Maybe I'm just old now... at a whopping age of 42 (I don't feel that old). Is it just me or does it seem like the new trend of hipster bikers with weird beards, 40 year old helmets and crispy jeans pearched atop shovelheads, ironhead sportsters and other clapped out, so called 'period correct' piles of crap are merely mocking the history and purity of motorcycling?

I mean... bikes that are scary as hell to ride, bars so narrow they almost meet in the middle to form a joystick from an Atari 2600, welds that don't even join metal together anymore and don't get me started about 'fo-tina' Hint, hint - aluminum DOESN'T rust. Making it look like it has, just proves a lack of basic knowledge.

It seems the bigger the hunk of crap, the better to the hipstabiker, and then there is the mockery. Take a look at any number of TONS of hipstabiker blogs out there, and they all seem to be mocking motorcycling (which is ironic, because they are actually making an ass out of themselves).

I can't read a lot of the blogs out there because they are just mocking motorcycling with staged photos of '70s era biker imagery that feels scripted and staged and some of the magazines I read most - I can't even read anymore because they have drank the hipstabiker Kool-Aid to such an extreme that the magazines aren't even about motorcycles anymore, just '70s style t-shirts, clown-ish trucker hats, belt buckles and ridiculous handlebars and parts that are not even remotely fuctional or even slightly safe.

I just don't get it.. are they even motorcyclists or just guys who got tired of rolling in their slammed Hondas and bagged GMCs or whatever the latest trend is, and in another year or two, when hot rod electric cars are the new thing, they will move on to that trend, trading in their Buco with a bubble sheild and the Macklemore-esque thrift store jean jacket for the next trend to match the car/bike they own. Probably a lighted Tron suit, Jordy glasses or worse.

If that's the case, please sell your shovel now and buy a Prius. The whole thing is getting tiresome and perfectly good iron is being destroyed for the sake of fashion biking.

Ok, I'm done with my rant. Now I am going back to the garage- that's the place where I keep my tools... (another concept lost on the hipstabiker).

Next... giganto-wheel baggers and the "I'm not in a club but want to look like I am" Dyna."

Gas Man
04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
That's awesome and I fully agree!

As far as you in Hawaii, I hate you. Good day! :D

Kosher
04-01-2013, 09:31 PM
well, so much for http://zzchop.com, then LOL

junkyardjon
04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
nah they'll sell the chops and buy bagger's and bolt on shit and call it custom.... then go on facebook

i like shirt designs from the 70's, alot better than most of the shit they sell now.
i like belt buckle's, always have
i have a bunch of trucker hats.
no weird beard but i have a braided goatee...

here's an idea, don't worry what others are doing with their bike's. why do people care what others do to their bikes, car, trucks , ect or what they wear?
just be your self and do your thing.

Mudpuppy
04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I really don't care what they do.. fuck em.. I know what I do and I am about 2 things: riding and things that enhance riding - like suspension, tires, brakes - not maximum hp upgrades like most dumbasses that don't know how to ride, etc. If y'all want to contribute to my 2013 ohlins rear shock fund please let me know - taking any and all contributions. No tax writeoff but I will kick you in the nuts as many times as you like.

junkyardjon
04-02-2013, 08:27 PM
so Mud, guess i won't see you at the drag strip huh? LOL

chopsmitty
04-03-2013, 12:49 AM
You guys know I "do my own thing". Probably more than anyone else!

What is pissing me off is this new fad of poorly built, just plain ugly bikes rendering everything that isn't hipstabiker worthless. You can't give something away with a 300 rear tire now.

Kosher
04-03-2013, 06:56 AM
You guys know I "do my own thing". Probably more than anyone else!

What is pissing me off is this new fad of poorly built, just plain ugly bikes rendering everything that isn't hipstabiker worthless. You can't give something away with a 300 rear tire now.

I'm with ya! I personally cant wait until the whole 26 or 30" front wheel fad runs its course. If I see one more I'm gonna puke!

I dont think most custom bikes are meant for a lot of miles but Chris pointed out some pretty bad work at the IMS this past winter.

I have a friend that has a chopper from Voodoo and one from Detroit Bros and they are both a pain in the ass.

RedneckMedic
04-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Chop if your wanting to give me one of your bikes with a 300 just so you can have a peice of you still in michigan ill gladly take it. I still think that the raked out chops with 300 rears get the most attention. When we were at por dover last year i though cutty and pigpen were going to get jumped because of how sexy there bikes are.

Gas Man
04-03-2013, 11:35 AM
They do lance... you go anywhere with one of those choppers and they still get tons of attention.

Bagger Dave
04-03-2013, 11:56 AM
They do lance... you go anywhere with one of those choppers and they still get tons of attention.
Yep yep!

Mudpuppy
04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
so Mud, guess i won't see you at the drag strip huh? LOL

Not likely - drag strips are all fine and good - 4 seconds of fun - but I prefer 15-20 minutes at a time of high rate of speed on the road tracks.