PDA

View Full Version : Truck or trailer

leebo
03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
OK! in a couple years or so im gonna retire I wanna bike hauler.Should I get a Pickup or a trailer.Friends at work are sayin a trailer cause its easier to load.Im thinkin a pickup should give me more piece of mind travellin down the road.I plan on goin to north carolina and occasional trips to virginia and chicago.I dont have a lot of experience haulin bikes other than the occasional u-haul rental so any help would be appreciated.

WILEY
03-20-2013, 05:59 PM
I have trucks and bought a trailer.

the trailer is easier to load and allows me to run a cap so if I go to the track with a bke, I can camp in my truck.

Thruxtonbill
03-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Trailer for me as well. What are your concerns as far as piece of mind, with the trailer?

Mudpuppy
03-20-2013, 06:16 PM
trailer hands down

leebo
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Trailer for me as well. What are your concerns as far as piece of mind, with the trailer? The last time I trailered a bike back from ohio the thing rattled the whole way.I just thought the bike would be more secure in a truck.BUT! i have never trucked a bike before.

RedneckMedic
03-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Get an enclosed trailer. You can get a nice one for a couple grand plus can hall extras and if you end up going to a bike week or something i will stay enclosed and locked up. I have a truck but when i travel i end up putting all my luggage in the bed with the toneau cover over it to keep everything dry and wouldnt want to give up that space. You can find an awesome used trailer set up for everything you want fairly cheap.

junkyardjon
03-20-2013, 08:44 PM
for you, buy a nice little trailer.

i do both but prefer truck for anything under 600 pounds

Gas Man
03-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Enclosed trailer... NO QUESTION!!

Caveman
03-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Trailer, if you must choose. However, I have always been of the mind that trailers are for boats. motorcycles are meant to be ridden where ever they are going. Every time I see a bike in the bed of a truck or on a trailer it always looks so sad and disappointed. and when I get up by the driver of the truck he looks out of the window enviably at me and gives the, "what can ya do?" shrug.
that being said if you are planning on lots of trips all over the place during all times of the year when you can't be riding a motorcycle for safety, I would go with an enclosed trailer with the nice drop down ramp style door. can usually bolt a mid sized tool box into one the of the walls or in the nose of the trailer and then if you don't want to spring for a hotel you can hang a hammock inside corner to corner and get some sleep.

Mudpuppy
03-21-2013, 02:58 PM
enclosed trailer = shitty gas mileage though

Gas Man
03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
yeah but then you don't have to worry about weather and it can store more gear inside.

Hawgrider
03-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Sorry but you must have known it was coming.....

http://www.thecheapplace.com/image/cache/data/incoming/oldcart/product_images/s/036/1140__91538-450x320.jpg

Gas Man
03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
:rofl: :lmao:

Caveman
03-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Sorry but you must have known it was coming.....

http://www.thecheapplace.com/image/cache/data/incoming/oldcart/product_images/s/036/1140__91538-450x320.jpg

I vote to have a like button installed. As this little sticker deserves many LIKES

Gas Man
03-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I vote to have a like button installed. As this little sticker deserves many LIKES

Remember what you're saying Cave...

leebo
03-21-2013, 05:35 PM
I vote to have a like button installed. As this little sticker deserves many LIKES LOL.....You know when I was 40 or maybe 50 I would have been down with some interstate travel.But hey im not 60 anymore after the 3rd knee operation I do what I can.Im hoping to drive down to visit friends stay a few days do alittle ridin and drinkin.May be visit the cuz in north carolina when it gets cold here and do some ridin there maybe even do that road they call the dragon somethin. But I do appreciate all the input it really helps.My lease runs out this fall on the malibu so will def be lookin for somethin.

Hawgrider
03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
I hear ya...... getting old sucks!

Mudpuppy
03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
for me the slab runs are pointless. wasting miles on the tires for what? and then my bike isn't exactly set up for touring so what gear could I possibly bring? trailering is the only feasible option to me. I have rode down to Mid-Ohio for the AMA races. I even once rode to camp at silver lake and then rode over to a track day at grattan. It really doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather have plenty of room for gear, turn the shitty miles on 4 wheels in comfort and then tear up the great roads or track when I get there.

junkyardjon
03-22-2013, 02:58 PM
How much crap does someone need to bring?

Sent from my phone while taking a dump at work

Gas Man
03-22-2013, 05:12 PM
I try to make the miles getting there decent miles... but the miles home... fastest route I can get. BUT my bike is setup for that sort of thing.

bombdog
03-22-2013, 05:18 PM
This is my first bike with cruise control and I like it!!!

Gas Man
03-22-2013, 05:22 PM
I love cruise control... on everything. Had a rental the other day and it didn't have it. Had to drive to davidson (1.5 hour drive) and it was hell!

WILEY
03-22-2013, 05:53 PM
I dont trailer often. If I run the one bike at the dragstrip, I take my daughter with me. Bike only has one seat and breaking 1 100 miles from home would not be good. I do have and fix old iron so if I buy something it aint usually rideable. Got to get it home somehow.

05chop
03-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Enclosed trailer for early spring riding (like when its snowing and want to go south) then in summer I ride bike everywhere. Trailers are great extra garages just dont go overboard like I did with 27 foot enclosed.

leebo
03-22-2013, 07:06 PM
for me the slab runs are pointless. wasting miles on the tires for what? and then my bike isn't exactly set up for touring so what gear could I possibly bring? trailering is the only feasible option to me. I have rode down to Mid-Ohio for the AMA races. I even once rode to camp at silver lake and then rode over to a track day at grattan. It really doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather have plenty of room for gear, turn the shitty miles on 4 wheels in comfort and then tear up the great roads or track when I get there. Yea I kind of lose focus on the xpressway after a few miles plus I dont like the xpressway here.they are to bad it kills my back. Im thinkin about goin to ohio this year to watch the ama races also.watched a little of the daytona 200 last weekend.Im kinda gettin burned on motogp!

leebo
03-22-2013, 07:07 PM
I love cruise control... on everything. Had a rental the other day and it didn't have it. Had to drive to davidson (1.5 hour drive) and it was hell! Man thats what I need when I go to my moms in clare.

Thruxtonbill
03-23-2013, 07:53 AM
for me the slab runs are pointless. wasting miles on the tires for what? and then my bike isn't exactly set up for touring so what gear could I possibly bring? trailering is the only feasible option to me. It really doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather have plenty of room for gear, turn the shitty miles on 4 wheels in comfort and then tear up the great roads or track when I get there.

Ditto, get out of my head.

Gas Man
03-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Yeah ditto because your bikes are more similar.

Thruxtonbill
03-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah ditto because your bikes are more sexier.

Fixed it for ya.

Gas Man
03-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Awesome!! :lol:

leebo
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Wouldnt you think that.you need at least a 6 cyl or better to tow a 550lb pound bike ?