PDA

View Full Version : Jetting the carb

Bob
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Well, I got a Dynojet kit in today for my Drifter. The previous owner said it was jetted after the pipes where installed but it did not run like it was. Long warming times and crappy performance at low speeds.

I got the carb off this weekend and first thing I noticed was the cap was still over the adjusting screw. This tipped me off to the fact that it either was not jetted or not adjusted after jetting.

Got the carb apart and right away could tell in did in fact have a Dynojet kit already installed. However, it was installed wrong. The first thing I noticed was 2 e-clips where used on the main needle. This made no sense to me, just did not look right. After reading through the instructions and looking at the diagram I knew it was wrong and the needle was only to have one e-clip.

The main jet was fine but I replaced it with the new one anyway.

I adjusted the adjusted screw per Dynojet instructions and my fingers are crossed that it will run when I get it all back together. I am waiting on my new petcock assembly to arrive and I'll be able to toss the tank back on and get some fuel in it and hopefully turn it over.

I don't know if this guy did the previous jet work or if he took it to a shop. Whoever did it did not know how to read directions though. LOL The job, doing it correctly, only took 10 minutes.

Gas Man
03-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Single carb or duals?

If its duals you need to have them synced!!!

Berto
03-20-2009, 02:02 AM
and that is why I do my own work... I'm the idiot i trust.

Gas Man
03-20-2009, 03:33 AM
and that is why I do my own work... I'm the idiot i trust.

yep and what does my sig say? Why do I own a lift and offer it to everybody to use?

EXACTLY!!!

B-Kinger
03-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Yea, you have to re adjust the idle circuit as well, so the caps should have been removed before. Sounds like it was running too lean, obviously. Whoever installed the jet kit previous must have gotten confused, because as you say, there should only be one c clip on the needle jet. What we usually do when possible is to shim the needle jets with small washers to back em out a little, but that only works when the needle jets are tapered the entire length. Stepped needle jets have to be replaced or adjusted via the diaphragm springs, but thats so difficult in experimenting with that you're just better off getting a kit with all that stuff included anyways. I hope ya get it running better!

Bob
03-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Chris, it has a single carb.

I got the carb back on tonight. Now just to wait for the petcock to come in so I can see if these beeotch will run.

Berto
03-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Sounds like you may have found the issue with the bike... now get that bitch on the road!

B-Kinger
03-22-2009, 09:18 AM
W :D W!

Bob
03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Got the bike, almost all back together. Fired right up too! WOO! Seems to warm up fast and the fuel stream is sooooo much smoother and stronger. Throttle response seems better too. I hope to get it all cleaned and back together 100% this weekend.

Berto
03-27-2009, 06:25 PM
There you go!

Feels good to do crap yourself, right?

Good job man!

Now ride that BITCH!

Gas Man
03-28-2009, 12:40 AM
GO YOU!! O0

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Posting/prize.jpg

:D ;) :P >:D

B-Kinger
03-28-2009, 09:49 AM
a okay

Bob
03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Hopefully it runs smooth. I have to put the air cleaner back on and connect 2 vacuum hoses to really tell. We shall see though, hopefully tomorrow.