PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleaning

BuckHunter
03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Well I got the bike out of my dad's garage and rode it over to mine on Saturday. Man was that a cold ride! Gotta get some leathers for sure. I still have my old crotch rocket jacket but it just wouldn't look right riding my HD with that on. setup the turbo heater in the garage and spent all day Saturday cleaning and polishing. Mother's aluminum and mag polish works pretty great on polished parts that are a bit dull and faded but rubbing by hand was wearing me out. I went to harbor freight yesterday and picked up two 2" polishing wheels for a die grinder ($4.99). Fits into a drill as well. That works FANTASTIC! Looks almost like chrome now. Took the sissy bar and passenger seat off. I was pleased to find that there was very little damage to the fender. A bit of wax and it was looking good. Got out and put a few miles on it for the rest of the day. I'll post some pic's later of the the tool and a section of aluminum that has been polished with the wheel next to a section that was done by hand.

Kosher
03-11-2013, 09:30 AM
How about some pics of the shiny bike? :)

Looks like those wheels are not polished aluminum, correct?

I find that spring riding usually means a LOT of cleaning. I put about 100 miles on it on saturday and the thing was *filthy*, so I spend much of Saturday night cleaning it up. Lots of plastic to clean on a Harley touring bike.

bombdog
03-11-2013, 10:32 AM
If your old crotch rocket jacket is warm and or protective screw what other people think this aint a fashion show. I wear my Klim snowmobile Jacket for winter riding its warm and visible. I seen a guy in the Harley shop Sat I road there in Jeans and my Klim Jacket. He had on a thick Genuine Harley Jacket, Harley Hat and Thick leather pants or chaps not sure and big boots. Walked out the door an got in his car :) If you are riding who cares what you are wearing.....

BuckHunter
03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
If your old crotch rocket jacket is warm and or protective screw what other people think this aint a fashion show. I wear my Klim snowmobile Jacket for winter riding its warm and visible. I seen a guy in the Harley shop Sat I road there in Jeans and my Klim Jacket. He had on a thick Genuine Harley Jacket, Harley Hat and Thick leather pants or chaps not sure and big boots. Walked out the door an got in his car :) If you are riding who cares what you are wearing.....
Valid Point. Can't hurt to dig it out until I buy a new one.

BuckHunter
03-11-2013, 10:42 AM
How about some pics of the shiny bike? :)

Looks like those wheels are not polished aluminum, correct?

I find that spring riding usually means a LOT of cleaning. I put about 100 miles on it on saturday and the thing was *filthy*, so I spend much of Saturday night cleaning it up. Lots of plastic to clean on a Harley touring bike.The lips are polished but not very well. They need some TLC. Rims are going to be getting sand blasted, then I will be polishing the lips and masking them off for the rest of the wheel to be powdered black.

Mudpuppy
03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
sounds like Detroit is spring cleaning this morning

Gas Man
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Yeah let's see some pics of the polished steed!!

BuckHunter
03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Yeah let's see some pics of the polished steed!!
I'll have to take a few when I get home from work.

junkyardjon
03-11-2013, 06:44 PM
just ride it and hose it off a couple times a year

BuckHunter
03-11-2013, 08:04 PM
heres some pics. not finished but lookin pretty good. first one is close up of a spot i started polishing with the wheel. left side of pic done with wheel, right side done by hand. hard to see difference in pic but believe me the left shines way more in good light.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8234/8549334735_0a295a3cf0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/theartthrob/8549334735/)

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8513/8550435700_054d0213f7.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/theartthrob/8550435700/)

MG]

Kosher
03-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Shiny!

Gas Man
03-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Yes shiny!!!!! Can't look away....

bombdog
03-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Looks Great!!

sprink
03-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Nice lookin' Sporty!

SportstersPaul
03-15-2013, 02:11 AM
I think your control cables are plenty long enough!

BuckHunter
03-15-2013, 09:25 AM
I think your control cables are plenty long enough!

Tell me about it. It had 4" risers on it when my dad bought it. He took them off and put a shorter riser on and never changed the cables. It's on my list but I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep the apes or go with a set of drag bars.

Gas Man
03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah he needs to try a set of drag bars on a sporty... maybe something like what Sprink has on his sporty!

Mudpuppy
03-15-2013, 04:21 PM
you know what this post needs? some pictures like the spring coming around the corner..