PDA

View Full Version : Not Too Smart!

Mad Dog
02-27-2013, 08:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSPxQjPOm0

Kosher
02-27-2013, 09:07 PM
At the risk of offending someone - I think the Smart Car is annoying. There's a kind of smugness I associate with it. "Smart". So if you dont drive one, you're not smart? That and the Toyota Pious. Sheesh.

I like Mini Coopers, they are at least reasonably original. Fiat 500 not bad, at least a bit stylish.

If you ever get a chance, go to the South Park site and watch "Smug Alert", it is freakin hilarious.

Gas Man
02-27-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm kinda with kosher. I call them un-smart cars.

Did you see the Benz emblem flying? :lol:

RedneckMedic
02-28-2013, 12:19 AM
I dont get why you would buy something so small. I could get any 4 banger car for a couple bucks more and be more comfy and get just as good gas MPG.

Gas Man
02-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Yep. I agree with you. For the $16k they want for one of those you could get tons of better cars. F that stupid 3 cylinder plastic car with the motor in the floor of the trunk!!

Nobody
02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
equal masses, equal results
high mass vs. low mass at equal sizes favours high mass (pure physics, simplified with "Highest gross weight vehicle has the right of way.")
after that you start dancing arround statistically based upon mass & crumple zone ratios.

My gripe with Smarts is that I don't like how they feel at freeway speed, for their size they're a few hundred lbs over weight, the traction controls get stupid on low/ultra low friction surfaces, & the real kicker, their drivetrain controls have a bug where it'll randomly go derp-derp-derp and will not let you start and move until it's reset. I'm not sure if the later is still an issue or if it's been fixed at this point.

Personally I don't have issues with my mortality so it's what I can afford first, safety second, looks last.

RedneckMedic
02-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Ya buy a used car before any smart car. I have been on many accident scenes and can assure you larger car equals less hurt. These modern cars look like hell in some accidents but people are able to walk out most of the time where as 10 years ago they would be dead for sure.

Last week there was a 1500 silverado in the back of an escape that had been put there by a big rig wrecker and o ya the escape rear ended a taurus that hit another sedan. the sliverado was only about 5 feet long after words. The only injury of not was a small cut on the back of the guys head in the escape.

I've been on over 50 roll overs and have still yet to see anyone die from it. (Actually the safest accident you can have as long as you have a seatbelt on).

I can't say that if a smart car got hit by a big truck they would fair so well. The biggest danger from a car accident is ejection and crush injuries so seatbelts and air bags prevent the ejection. Crush happens when david meets goliath and goliath wins everytime.

Gas Man
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah the cars today are self sacrificing. They are designed to crumple to absorb that energy in that accident and transfer it into the crumple zones and around the people. Trust me I feel very safe in my small car... Of course mine is a Volvo and if you don't understand that statement you simply don't understand.

Nobody
03-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Of course mine is a Volvo and if you don't understand that statement you simply don't understand.

Next to lawyers they're the only thing that'll be left after a nuclear explosion..