PDA

View Full Version : Music in the workplace

Gas Man
02-22-2013, 10:02 PM
It has always been a policy at the HD factory that a worker can't use headphones because it was a multi level safety hazard. But up till now, they could run a low volume music near their work station. It was released today that HD no longer is allowing any music. Ending conflicts over music type, and possibly the end of further workplace distractions.

Do you see this as a passion killer or a positive move?

What do you have at your work similar to this?

leebo
02-22-2013, 10:41 PM
I work in a machine shop.we have music goin everywhere.mostly classic rock

WILEY
02-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Folks at my place can use headphones or play music at low level.

When complaints start, I make everyone revert to headphones.

I try to play Pandora at my desk loud enough so everyone in the area can hear it. Play big enough variety so everyone stays happy.

Gas Man
02-23-2013, 09:31 AM
That sounds reasonable wiley. But you can see that the music out and out can be problem matic...

What does your crew do that allows for headphones?

Moesride
02-23-2013, 09:29 PM
No music on our jobsites. We have to many things going on at a fast pace that everyone needs to devote there full attention to what's going on. Plus, we need to communicate with each other constantly so things go smoothly so the job gets done.

Gas Man
02-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Yeah and that ensures a quality job...

Do we have any factory line workers here?

Bagger Dave
02-24-2013, 06:11 AM
In our shop we usually don't play music....we do sometimes during inventory or when we are doing some maintenance...there are only 3 of us that run the shop....we don't have any lines....everything is automation

alhall88
02-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Not allowed at any level at my plant,even in the machining lines. They are pretty strict about headphones as well, that's an instant write up. That's why when I went to the York plant last year I was surprised to hear all the radios going. The Dyno cells were the best music to me.

Gas Man
02-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah I didn't see the issue on this, from a safety and production POV, and I kinda figured other companies were doing similar.

You should see some comments on a certain blog talking about how this is going to kill HD and their image and their employees. I can't wrap my head around it...

deep purple
02-24-2013, 01:54 PM
I wish we didn't have music or cell phones where I work. It is distracting at least, dangerous at its worst if and when you miss a critical comunication. I already suffer from hearing loss due to many years of being next to large aircraft engines turning huge whirling discs. I also contribute a lot of it to 70mph wind noise when I rode helmetless for many many years. You young guys take good care of your hearing because it really sux when you lose it.

Gas Man
02-24-2013, 02:09 PM
I "hear" ya DP, I try to watch my hearing a bunch. I carefully choose helmets, and headsets when planning long distance rides. It helps that I'm a safety guy at work.

toby
02-25-2013, 08:54 AM
no way in my work place

Gas Man
02-25-2013, 09:04 AM
no way in my work place

No way they would take the music away or no way they'd let music happen??

WILEY
02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
That sounds reasonable wiley. But you can see that the music out and out can be problem matic...

What does your crew do that allows for headphones?

Trijicon. We build optics. Small parts seated jobs. No vehicle traffic. My dept is in a Clean Room environment.

Used to work in York at Harley. Anything that didnt allow you to hear could be huge safety issue. Alot of moving equipment.

Gas Man
02-25-2013, 10:38 PM
That sounds cool Wiley!

And I agree with you and HD on this matter...

Caveman
02-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Working at the Nuc plant we aren't aloud to wear anything other than the hearing protection in the plant. Either plug style or over the ear muff style ( he he, you said "muff", he he). I do however listen occasionally listen when taking a break in the break room. As long as I don't miss a radio comm.

Gas Man
02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
:lol: he said muff! :lmao:

TopShelf Scott
02-27-2013, 05:10 AM
We can have music...anything from little earbuds to full out Dre Beats....lol

junkyardjon
02-27-2013, 07:17 AM
i listen to head phone to drowned out the lazy asses at work. it make's them mad when they have to walk over to me and ask me to do there job. then i just ignore them anyways. i figure if you can keep on saying you've "been doing this for 30 years", you don't need me to do your job. ain't my job to hold your hand and baby sit you, thats a different pay scale !

RedneckMedic
02-27-2013, 12:03 PM
I listen to music all the time at work to drown out that bloody siren. God it gives me a headache. If I never heard one again I wouldn't mind. I actually leave the radio on just low enough to hear in the back so once we load up we have something to listen to while working and while transporting. The couple people I work with full time we have been together long enough we really don't have to talk to get a call done and some times I just wish the patients wouldn't talk at all since all that comes out is blah blah blah i'm an idiot blah blah blah.

Gas Man
02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
rugby you have such a nice way about your job... :lol:

Now shut up and go back to cutting off that persons clothes. :rofl:

RedneckMedic
02-28-2013, 12:12 AM
And I think you've been stalking me lately too

Gas Man
02-28-2013, 12:23 AM
What? Um.... I'm..... No.

yoohoo
02-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Listening to music helps keep you motivated and alert, and boosts morale. Mistake to prohibit it.

Gas Man
02-28-2013, 10:46 PM
That is the angle that many say.

Mudpuppy
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
we have a live vegas lounge band where i work.. i'll be here all week try the veal and tip your waitresses - just the tip though no full penetration..

Bob
03-12-2013, 03:59 PM
As much as I like to listen to music every place I've ever worked it has turned into a disaster where they allowed it. When I worked for a boat trailer builder they'd pipe music in the PA system and the day shift listened to music I liked but Midnights listened to talk junk all morning long until their shift was over and it drove me nuts. LOL When I worked for the concrete precast company they allowed radios. That did not bother me because I was not at a station and never had to deal with it but I know the illegals listened to their traditional Mexican music all day long and the white guys usually stuck their smart phones in their hard hats and listened to their music through headphones to block out the Mexican music. Only thing is I'm not sure if I want earphones in while someone is trying to scream at me to get out of the way of a 40,000 point concrete panel swinging over head coming at me. I had a buddy that worked for Cadillac in the summer when he wasn't teaching and he always complained about the RAP music on the line. He was a really religious guy and hated having to listen to the RAP music of his coworkers.

Now that I think about it when the boat trailer builder became ISO certified one of the changes for safety was to turn off the radio period. Everyone groaned and moaned about it but after a week nobody even noticed it was gone.

Gas Man
03-12-2013, 05:37 PM
There ya go, exactly what Bob said in the last little blip. Safety!