PDA

View Full Version : Any car salesman here?

Bob
02-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Just curious.

Thruxtonbill
02-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Was a used car mgr for quite a awhile, what's up?

junkyardjon
02-16-2013, 07:34 PM
i sell car's

horrorbusiness
02-16-2013, 08:21 PM
I sell saturns, errr sold Saturns

Bob
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
I may have an opportunity to be a new car salesman. I'm just wondering if it's a good career or not. I know there are ups and downs and I've talked to a couple of salesman lately. One of them was all about it and is doing well and the other one said it's scary at times but he's been making a living off of it for years.

Thruxtonbill
02-17-2013, 03:05 PM
It's alot like anything else, it's ok for some and others not. Dealership life is tough and the hours are long. You can work all day everyday for a week and not make a dime, the next day you might make 2K, you might not.
If you have commision sales experiance then you kind of know what you're in for. If not it will take some time to hone your craft no matter how good you are. Every dealer is run a little differently, If mgmt is flooding the floor, don't expect a warm welcome from the other sales staff. Inquire about the pay plan, how your bonuses work, is it an open floor? (meaning can u sell used as well, more money in used) is there a demo program? what are your costs?
Feel free to PM me, I'll give you my Phone number and we can discuss more if you like. I prefered to train new people myself and I also close their deals so I have lots of insight. I also know quite a few people in the business so it would be helpful if I knew what store you were considering. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Remo
02-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Dealership life is tough and the hours are long.

^^^This, I worked in the service dept. at a dealership for about (2) years doing new car prep. It was fun about the first year and a half, the last 6 months were hell but I found myself in this funk where I could not leave the job. Luckily I was laid off which opened the doors for new opportunity.

horrorbusiness
02-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Don't enquire about the pay plan, get it in writting. When I took the job I was told one thing about the pay plan and then I got the "real" pay plan from another sales person. I worked for a peice of shit cheap ass. Our dealership was the laughing stock of dealer group because of the pay plan. I can't say it enough, get it in writing. We also had the worst hours, 8-8 monday thru Thursday. If you werent their for all the hours managment doubted your commitment. The other thing to give dep thought to is , not having a clinentele , so to make any sales you have to take all the "up's" you can. The senior sales people at out dealer sold 15-18 cars a month without seeing any new people. Yes the dealer was such a shitty place that you had to sell 20 plus cars a month to make decent money.

junkyardjon
02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
i wouldn't, i know too many people hungry right now.

Mad Dog
02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
I found it to be a tough business. Did it for a little over 5 years and by the numbers was quit successful at it. (New GM'S)
I paced or at times out paced the national numbers but it was quit a rat race. It is a job you must live and breath or the money won't be there.
It is also a job that has no finish. Every night I left I was contemplating what had to be finished the next day.
I felt it was a very uncivilized business. Oh and by the way. Customers lie more that salespeople.