PDA

View Full Version : Prepping?

Mudpuppy
02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I am not a doomsday prepper or into any of that apocalypse shit or anything but I do think it is a good possibility the government, media and general stupidity of people could self perpetuate a serious problem in the near future - such as if the power grid shut down. And as a method of every day use it wouldn't be bad either. So my friend told me about this:

http://wisefoodstorage.com/

I think it would be good to buy like a month's supply and you could sprinkle in for 1-2 meals a week that are easier to prepare, etc. and they have a 25 year shelf life so when the next blizzard or black out hits you don't have to worry about going to the store in a mad panic to get food like the other idiots. Also here is a little something I found earlier today that is also probably a good idea:

What would you do?

No matter how much I beg, some of you, no doubt haven’t done anything to prepare (you know who you are). I don’t know what else to do. All I can do is give you the information, it’s up to you to act. No one can do it for you.

No doubt some of you are intimidated by my repeated suggestions of storing and using whole grains. If it doesn’t come from the supermarket shelf it’s strange and unfamiliar and you want no part of it. Fair enough.

But you still need to prepare. Here are ten things that you can do right now that will make you better prepared than probably 90% of the population.

And everything is available at your local shopping center – so it’s easy. You can do all ten steps at once or divide each into a separate week and shopping trip. But you need to get it done as soon as possible.

Keep in mind that this is only a starting point and isn’t presented here as a completed list.

1. Head to the nearest Meijer, Kmart, Costco or whatever and pick-up 20 lbs. of white or brown rice and 20 lbs. of pinto beans. White rice has a better storage life while brown rice has more nutritional benefits – your choice.

2. While you’re there grab 5 lbsmixed beans, 5 lbs. of white sugar, 5 lbsof iodized salt, one gallon of olive oil (can be frozen to extend shelf-life), 5 lbs. oats, 10 lbs. each of white or wheat flour and cornmeal.

3. Now head over to the canned foods and pick-up 20 cans of canned fruits and 20 cans of canned vegetables. Be sure to buy only those brands and contents you normally eat and nothing exotic. No need to shock the senses.

4. Now over to the canned meats. Pick-up 20 cans of various meats, salmon, stews, spam and tuna. Again buy only those brands with contents you normally eat and nothing exotic.

5. Okay. Now to the to the peanut butter shelf and toss two 40-ounce jars in the cart. The listed shelf life is just over two years and each jar has over 6,000 calories. Peanut butter is an excellent instant survival food.

6. Over to the powdered drink mix – go on I’ll wait…Okay, pick up two 72 Ounce Tang Orange drink canisters (provides 100% of the US RDA vitamin C requirement per 8 oz. glass). Also grab six 19-Ounce Containers of Kool-Aid Drink Mix.

7. Off to the vitamin and supplement aisle, pick up400 tablets “one a day” multivitamin and mineral supplements.

8. Now to the department we all love – sporting goods. Go to the camping aisle and pick up 4 five gallon water containers. Fill with tap water as soon as you get back home.

9. While you’re there buy 250 rounds of ammunition for your primary defensive weapon. More if you can, but this should be a good start. Also a good universal cleaning kit.

10. And lastly pick up the best LED flashlight you can afford, extra batteries and bulb. Also grab two boxes of wooden matches and several multipurpose lighters.

Don’t forget to date, use and rotate – remember first in first out.

Thruxtonbill
02-14-2013, 04:50 PM
This thread is soooo unlike you, who is this? I'm concerned.
Battle stations everyone, I think Muds been kidnapped.

Thruxtonbill
02-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Did you get fired?

Thruxtonbill
02-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Seriously............who is this?

Mudpuppy
02-14-2013, 05:05 PM
lol.. just trying to post something thought provoking.. and if I can get some of you fuckers to prep than I have specific locations where I can get food and supplies when shit hits the fan.. win-win.. You spend your money on all this bullshit now.. I fucking party it up now.. when the power grid collapses and I am hungry I can show up and take your food.. if you guys are smart you will cower in the corner while I take all your shit.. if not I will just have to string you up like a hog and make you squeal.. SOOOOOOOOOIIIIEEEEE!! you will know I am coming when you hear dueling banjos..

Mad Dog
02-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Think i'll go load some ammo and think about this.
Mud you have a good point. I am looking at ordering 2 55 gal plastic drums for water and Wise does make some of the best survival foods.
For under a grand you can have the comfort of knowing that if the shit does hit the fan ie grid goes down or whatever you will have enought stores to
sit back and access the situatiion. 3 Months is a good start. Hell something like a solar flare could wipe out the grid and communications for several months.
Not many know just how long it would be down if the system got fried. We could be talking about as much as years.
Time to go re-size brass............................................. .................................................. .............

:blowup:

leebo
02-14-2013, 06:21 PM
The mormons have been promoting food storage programs for years.We have just started ours.

Kosher
02-14-2013, 06:52 PM
I'll be hosed, I'm not a hoarder or a conspiracy theorist.

Gas Man
02-14-2013, 09:20 PM
I'll be hosed, I'm not a hoarder or a conspiracy theorist.
Me either

junkyardjon
02-14-2013, 09:26 PM
i'm not worried at all. i bought the $4.99 machete from HF.

Nobody
02-14-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm not worried, I hear long pork is delicious :)

RedneckMedic
02-15-2013, 12:25 AM
I have a small stash ready to go for my self. more or less a go bag than anything. I'm ready more for having to bug out to the woods or something i.e. "Red Dawn" style. I really don't want to stick around if shit hits the fan that bad but never really thought about things like market crash and stuff or solar flare. In my go bag though I have enough food for me for a couple weeks and its mostly MRE's and protein powder and water. Also have a hunting knife some camping stuff a good flash light and some extra warm clothes. I started this a couple years ago when I had to have my stuff ready for hurricane deployment and just added a few things to make sure I was ready to go anywhere.

junkyardjon
02-15-2013, 01:06 AM
anyone wanna share a tent?

Bagger Dave
02-15-2013, 10:03 AM
I don't have shit! :lmao:

I guess if something goes down...I will just ride my bike into the heart of it and go out in style!! :eightball6::beers::titsup:

Mudpuppy
02-15-2013, 10:42 AM
The power grid is the main issue. Just think - no cell phones, no tv, no heat, no stoves, etc. etc. And the power grid is extremely fragile. They did a study about 5 years ago and the experts said we should have started rebuilding it 20 years ago and we didn't. Even if we started today it is too late. We are in a solar maximum so solar flares are a real threat. In the early 1900s a solar flare wiped out the grid - of course then there wasn't much of a grid so it didn't do a whole lot. Your horse and carriage still functioned just fine. You could still get food from your farm. None of that infrastructure exists today. The grocery stores only have a 2-3 day food supply if shit hit the fan. You know people would be in mass panic and things would get ugly quick.

Mad Dog
02-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Another natural disaster we don't want to think about.
More than 100 injured by meteor in Russia (http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-100-injured-by-meteorite-in-russia-20130214,0,7920529.story)
Think it can't happen?
Then there is Yellowstone!
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/yellowstone/yellowstone_sub_page_49.html
Think it can't happen? Experts now say it's overdue.
Think i'll go load some ammo.................................

Mudpuppy
02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
ammo, ammo, ammo

Dirty
02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm no prepper or conspiracy theorist either, but with that nut job in N. Korea I feel it would be foolish of me not to have some kind of plan in place to help provide for my family.

For the sake of discussion, my question is how to prepare. If there is a long term power outage from an EMP or solar event, from what I have read you have about a week to get as far away from any nuclear power plants as possible (50 miles minimum). So you have to know where you are going and a safe route to get there. Travel will be slow since vehicles won't work. Food and water supplies will be limited to what you can carry in a backpack. Seems to me firearms and ammo will be the most important items to have to be used for hunting and protection while traveling through ruff areas.

Map of Nuclear Power Plants

(http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/Global/usa/planet3/photos-nukes/earthquakes.jpg)
Nuclear Power Plants during power outage

(http://www.decodedscience.com/after-an-emp-event-can-a-nuclear-plant-shutdown-safely/10030)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu8GTn01n18

junkyardjon
02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
i still don't care, let it happen. please let everything happen right now !!!!!

Thruxtonbill
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Ok, here you go
http://www.survivalcenter.com/UG.html

Kosher
02-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Ok, here you go
http://www.survivalcenter.com/UG.html

Nice! Not much room for a bike, tho.

If you need that shelter, what will be left that will be worth surviving for?

Gas Man
02-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Get a shelter
http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?3790-Are-you-ready