PDA

View Full Version : ABS or no?

Gas Man
02-07-2013, 06:18 AM
I like ABS on my car. So when I was buying my Ultra in 2009, I wanted ABS on this 1/2 ton bike (generally when loaded with me and junk). Now that I have it, I love the hell out of it. I wish all my bikes would have it. The only downside I have found, is that you can't bleed your brakes without a tech computer. Otherwise I simply love it and love trying to engage it!

What you say?

Bagger Dave
02-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Before I got my Ultra Limited...I was talking to Gas about the ABS and asked how he like it...he told me yeah dude, make sure you get a bike with ABS....so when I seen that this comes standard on the Ultra Limited...I was good with that!
This is my first bike with ABS...so I'm glad to have it

Gas Man
02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
And honestly the option (stand alone) is only like $800... that's a bit more/less than a collision deductable, so it was a no brainer!

Mad Dog
02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Like American Express. Don't leave home without it!

Kosher
02-07-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm very glad I have it. You hear a lot from people who think they are hard core bikers and they dont need it. Well, they do.

Yes you *can* stop in less distance than ABS. However, if ABS kicks in, you have made a mistake. Nice to have that back stop.

I believe that very few people can brake exactly perfectly in a panic/emergency situation, especially where the road conditions are not ideal (i.e. wet). Very few. If any.

I also believe that if ABS was mandatory on bikes, there would be a LOT fewer deaths.

Remo
02-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Never had a bike with ABS so I am not sure.

Hawgrider
02-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Hate it!
Hate it on Cages.
Hate it on bikes.
Hate it!
Maybe I wasn't clear enough........ I hate it.
I want total control not some sensor/computer that will fail. Every recent cage Ive had with that crap on it has had issue's when the vehicle gets enough miles on it. It is very expensive to repair. I would rather not get lazy by have some freaking sensor/computer doing what Ive been doing for over 40 years. Say what you want about having no stopping skills and the need to have a computer do it for you.

Kosher
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Hate it!
Hate it on Cages.
Hate it on bikes.
Hate it!
Maybe I wasn't clear enough........ I hate it.
I want total control not some sensor/computer that will fail. Every recent cage Ive had with that crap on it has had issue's when the vehicle gets enough miles on it. It is very expensive to repair. I would rather not get lazy by have some freaking sensor/computer doing what Ive been doing for over 40 years. Say what you want about having no stopping skills and the need to have a computer do it for you.

I guess my point is that if you are that skilled, you would never even know it. But I hope you never make a mistake in the wrong situation where ABS might have saved your butt.

Hawgrider
02-07-2013, 01:40 PM
I guess my point is that if you are that skilled, you would never even know it. But I hope you never make a mistake in the wrong situation where ABS might have saved your butt.Not sure how one would meter my skill level but Ive been riding 2 wheels since 1970 Ive been on the road with two wheels since 1976 Lost track of how many miles on two wheels its gotta be close to 300k soon give or take. Ive got 92k On my current Hawg. Never had ABS never will its technology I don't want or need. I'll take my chances with my skill level. To error is Human But to really eff things up takes a computer.

sprink
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
I would take it. Never had it on a bike.

I actually don't like it on cars in the snow though. I had a couple situations where I am pretty sure I would have been better off without it.

I don't ride in the snow (much,lol).

Hawgrider
02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
I would take it. Never had it on a bike.

I actually don't like it on cars in the snow though. I had a couple situations where I am pretty sure I would have been better off without it.

I don't ride in the snow (much,lol).This^

Kosher
02-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Right, well then I guess I'm just the kind of bonehead that needs it. I do think that there's a lot of bravado out there from people that dont think they need it when they really do.

Mudpuppy
02-07-2013, 05:01 PM
goat is delicious

Gas Man
02-07-2013, 07:10 PM
So hold on... Don hates it and Hawg loves it?!? :lol:

Moesride
02-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Love it!..... had it kick in a few times last year going through some pot hole pached infested back roads going through Monroe county. Watched my Bil go down last summer as he nailed his front brake which caused it to lock up. If he had the ABS , I strongly believe he would have stayed up.

horrorbusiness
02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
goat is delicious

When did gas man change his name to goat ?

05chop
02-09-2013, 11:50 PM
I need to borrow a bike with ABS then go out and slam brakes on, if it works like my cars then yes! ABS is the best friend a women could have in your car.

Mudpuppy
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
When did gas man change his name to goat ?

sick fucker, lol

Mad Dog
02-11-2013, 06:19 PM
I think I said I like it. Don't leave home without it.

So hold on... Don hates it and Hawg loves it?!? :lol:

Moesride
02-11-2013, 06:23 PM
sick fucker, lol. C'mon mud......there's no hiding it. You know you have a Gas man fetish...:lmao:

Mudpuppy
02-12-2013, 03:02 PM
you caught me.. he's my boy.. we like to swab the deck and shove our thumbs up each other's asses..

Mad Dog
02-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Is this a Michigan thing?:nf:

you caught me.. he's my boy.. we like to swab the deck and shove our thumbs up each other's asses..

Caveman
02-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Is this a Michigan thing?:nf:

A most emphatic and resounding, "NOOO!!!!"

Mad Dog
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Good To Know......:lmao:

A most emphatic and resounding, "NOOO!!!!"

Mudpuppy
02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
it is actually.. don't let him fool you don.. they are considering changing the state's name to brokeback mountain..

Caveman
02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Mud, there is something not right in your head. I'm actually beginning to think that you may be a homosexual.
:lmao:

Mudpuppy
02-13-2013, 02:54 PM
well sir it is a no win situation - if I argue I am not that just makes you motherfuckers dig in deeper.. so if I just go along with it then it makes you nervous.. mission accomplished.. y'all want to go camping this weekend? lol