PDA

View Full Version : 76 goldwing

junkyardjon
02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
i picked the wing up last summer running on 3 cylinders. been playing with it last week rebuilding the carbs and just cleaning it up. i already set the point's, gapped the valve's, timing, just stuff that's not been done in a while. i know this because everything was way off.

today i plan on putting the carbs back on but i'm waiting on 1 vacuum piston to show up, should be here next week.

while looking it over it noticed 1 of the plug wire's broke, it broke when i pulled the carbs. being 34 years old i figure it's time for new coils and wire's. there's no real way to replace the wire except to slice them on, that won't do so.... i've had an idea for a while now about the 2.0 &2.4 coil packs for a dodge 4 cyl car. i planned on running them on my sohc 750's but i'm gonna give the wing the first shot, should work fine. only thing is, i forgot to grab the plug for the coil lol.

after that done, new muffler time. i have some muffler's from some harley that were siting in the junk pile so thats what i'm using. i'm thinking of punching some hole's through the center's for a little rumble. last time i punched hole's through some, i broke my finger lol

Gas Man
02-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Sounds like fun. I like the outside the box thinking.

junkyardjon
02-03-2013, 06:37 PM
well the carbs are done for now, waiting on the piston. they didn't really need a rebuild, pretty sure the problem was the piston but figured the o-rings are old anyways.

now it's time to see what size the head pipe is and the mufflers. i held them up there and i think it should look pretty good.

Gas Man
02-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Any pics?

detdrbuzzard
02-04-2013, 07:12 AM
the harley pipes will give it a nice rumble without punching holes in them, anyway stock hondas like back pressure so if you are not jetting the carbs try the pipes as they are

junkyardjon
02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
yeah thats what i was thinking about last night with the pipes. looks like it will mount up no problem and i don't want a stupid loud bike, kind of sick of the stupid loud crowd.

pic of carb's on the kitchen table, the wife loved that lol
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w95/jmjokoty/001-3_zps5af3f2a4.jpg

top's for the carb's, i'm gonna get some aluminum round stock and make some new center's for the hole's. i find any excuse to use my lathe lol
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w95/jmjokoty/002-2_zps55ae030f.jpg

Gas Man
02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
I love pissing off the wife with bike parts in the house! FUN!

Mudpuppy
02-07-2013, 04:49 PM

don't lie - she works on your bike while you watch oprah..

the wife and daughter told me I don't need a work bench because I don't do any work.. I said ok then the kitchen table is my work bench.. fuck it.. I like the scented candle in the 1st pic - nice touch, lol

junkyardjon
02-10-2013, 08:35 PM
yeah the wife is a candle freak lol. she's also a neat freak so after i cleaned off the table, she cleaned it again. something about finger print's on the glass... lol

this weekend i got the carbs back on, engine cleaned up and exhaust mounted. i still need some band clamps for the exhaust, 1 3/4" clamp, stock harley size. heres a interesting tid bit i ran across while mounting the exhaust. the harley mufflers are 1 3/4", goldwing is 1 3/4 AND the rear mounting bracket hole's are in the same spot !! so for the most part it was a bolt on but i wanted the mufflers further back so i added some pipe. next step is put a radio on it.

i've been having some mad computer problems all weekend so....... gas man......... i'll load some pic's when i can lol

Gas Man
02-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Sounds like a good wifey!

horrorbusiness
02-13-2013, 07:56 AM

Gasoline and candles , a match made in heaven

junkyardjon
02-13-2013, 08:04 PM
i have insurance !!! she also love's when i boil carb boots in the house too.... i cleaned the carbs outside and they sat on the bench for a few days, it's just too cold to be playing outside sometime's.

when we first moved in together many moon's ago, tomorrow is our 10 year wedding thing, i kept my bike in the apartment lol. she's use to putting up with me but no more bike's in the house LOL

Gas Man
02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
I too am going to celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary this year.

junkyardjon
02-20-2013, 08:18 PM
well i got the bike back together, been waiting on exhaust clamps. i only buy them used for $3 each, plain old HD band clamps. i was gonna buy new but after calling around and internet shopping, i decided to wait and save $30.

bike sounds pretty good but the carbs need to be tuned. i'm gonna wait intill it's a little warmer, nothing like setting carbs for colder weather and then resetting them for warmer temps lol. i'm glad i left the pipe's alone and i didn't punch any hole's, it sound's pretty good as is. little bit of a rumble but not stupid loud.

junkyardjon
03-09-2013, 08:49 PM
carbs are tuned and been riding the last 2 days, man it run's good !! exhaust sounds nice, not loud but has a nice sound. when your on the gas it sounds like a race car LOL !!!! it might not have HP but i know it has torque, just keeps pulling like a mofo. i've been eye balling some after market cams....

now i have to sort out the starting problem, not sure if it's the battery or the starterm or both. lucky for me it has a kick starter.

sprink
03-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Glad to hear it is on the road.

leebo
03-10-2013, 11:52 AM
how about a pic of the bike?

Gas Man
03-10-2013, 02:26 PM
how about a pic of the bike?

Yeah.. get the pic next to a street sign
http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?4676-Picture-Game/page2&p=44221#post44221

Gas Man
03-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Jon... could it be the solenoid copper fouled up?