PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 issue with log in??

Gas Man
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Had a member ask me this...

I have problems when I log in my screen will freeze as I search around. if I log out its ok no freeze.I have windows 8 and two separate new computers same thing happens on both any help?

I think it's a cookies thing but I have never used or even seen first hand windows 8.

Can one of you boys or girls help us out here?

Nobody
01-22-2013, 12:59 AM
My off the cuff guessing: Log into windows or to this web site? if it's the web site see about installing an app like Process Explorer and firing it up before you try to hit the website, and see what all the programs in the background are doing. Maybe your browser is getting in a fist fight with another program. You can also try clearing out your cookies and running a spyware/ad ware cleaner incase some site you've visited dropped a bad or malformed cookie &/or snooker installed a program akin to those damn annoying "tool bar" add-ons for browsers. If the issue is logging into Windows 8, that I don't have a clue or even a logical guess for since I'm avoiding Win8 like the plague. You can try googling for an answer from another computer and hope you find an answer that works amongs the plethora of dross that offers no help.

Uber Nuclear option: Go for broke, wipe out windows and install Linux... :D

Kosher
01-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Is he using the desktop version of IE (or any other browser), or the new "modern" version of IE (the touch version)?

I've used Windows 8 on a number of machines, no issues.

If he's using the desktop version of IE, tell him to set the compatibility view settings for this site - alt-T (to get the tools menu), then choose "compatibility view settings" and add "twowheelmichigan.com", see if that helps.

I dont think I've ever hit this site with desktop IE10, I'll give it a try now...

OK, well I just logged in using IE10 on the desktop, no issues.

Not sure what the deal is, you could try clearing the cache and cookies, but I dont think thats the issue here. Maybe some overly aggressive anti-virus blocking it?

Also suggest if he's using IE10 to try a different browser, tho thats not a very satisfying answer either.

Gas Man
01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Yeah the issue is logging into this site. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I will just pass him this link.

Mad Dog
01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Sorry, still using 3.11

Remo
01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
I have Windows 8 and I am experiencing an issue where I cannot log in when using internet explorer. I do however have Google Chrome on this computer as well and do not have any issues when logging in through Chrome.

Kosher
01-22-2013, 01:30 PM
I have Windows 8 and I am experiencing an issue where I cannot log in when using internet explorer. I do however have Google Chrome on this computer as well and do not have any issues when logging in through Chrome.

Very odd. No problems for me using any browser on Windows 8

Mudpuppy
01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Solution: Windows 7
Alternative Solution: Don't use IE in Windows 8 - use Firefox, Opera, Chrome or whatever

Gas Man
01-22-2013, 08:10 PM
This is good info... I do not see any reason to upgrade off my Win7

<key in rugby talking about no issues ever with his laptop>

05chop
01-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Internet explorer does not work for me on this site so I switched to Chrome no more log in issue.Thanks guys

Gas Man
01-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah but it still bugs me that you're having issues...

Mudpuppy
01-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Internet explorer does not work for me on this site so I switched to Chrome no more log in issue.Thanks guys

good to hear. you couldn't pay me to use the piece of shit security risk that is internet explorer. I have to use it for a few work related items but other than that it is firefox for me. never have any issues with it. I really like windows 7 too. I am not 100% sold on windows 8. seems to me it is more tablet touch screen based and I don't want either. and really what was wrong with windows 7? best working windows yet and highest selling one as well. i think microsoft prematurely ejaculated windows 8.

Gas Man
01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
That's my thing on the 7 vs 8. I like 7, and it works well.

Kosher
01-23-2013, 02:38 PM
That's my thing on the 7 vs 8. I like 7, and it works well.

I'd say you're good to go then.

Mudpuppy
01-23-2013, 02:52 PM
here is all you need to know - it blows: http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/01/04/windows-8-review-the-thing-blows/