PDA

View Full Version : Winshield well nuts help

05chop
01-19-2013, 01:31 PM
I have three winshields and cant seem to find a permanent one. Now I have noticed two of the well nuts have pulled out of the fairing I use a tork wrench always and never have removed the outer fairing any tips on replacement well nuts and fairing remove and install?

RedneckMedic
01-19-2013, 01:38 PM
You should be able to just press them back in. If they fell into the fairing pulling the outer is only a couple of screws and a couple bolts. If your able to remove a windshield you can remove the fairing. There is a bunch of youtube videos on how to not lose well nuts and replacement solutions. But if you look up the part number I'm sure there very cheap up at the stealer. I need some new ones for my glide since I've changed the windshield so many times they kinda got warped.

Kosher
01-19-2013, 01:39 PM
I have three winshields and cant seem to find a permanent one. Now I have noticed two of the well nuts have pulled out of the fairing I use a tork wrench always and never have removed the outer fairing any tips on replacement well nuts and fairing remove and install?

Your friendly neighborhood Harley dealership will sell you well nuts in packs of 5. I just make sure I put a neoprene washer underneath the head to make sure it doesnt fall in.

05chop
01-19-2013, 01:43 PM
How do I get a permanent fix so well nuts wont back out?

Gas Man
01-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Are you talking about a batwing or shark fairing?

05chop
01-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Batwing Chris I have a 2010 street glide

Gas Man
01-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Cover the front fender with a towel!!

Because you have a street glide that USUALLY doesn't have spot lights, may want to have somebody with you to "catch" the fairing as you remove the last 2 screws. Otherwise, be carefull!

Remove the 3 windshield bolts (torx or allens depending on if you have changed them with a trim piece)
Remove the T27 torx on each side (total 2) between the tripple trees to the inside of the fork tube. You will have to turn the bike handlebars to see this one. Perhaps use a flash light till you get the nack.

WATCH IT WITH THESE LAST 2 SCREWS... REMEMBER WHAT I SAID ABOVE.

Remove the T27 torx on each side (total 2) of the fairing below the mirrors/sorta in front of the grips.
Unplug the headlight, if it's sticking remember to hold the bulb base down so you don't mess up your wire spring holding the bulb in.

Then simply replace your well nuts.

05chop
01-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Do you recommend using adhesive or something to hold well nuts in place?

Bagger Dave
01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Nice scoot!! :rockwoot:

Gas Man
01-20-2013, 12:54 AM
If you are going to just re-use the ones you have, then most definitely. I wonder what HD gives you with replacements...

05chop
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
I did go to dealer today had to order well nuts they were busy so I moved on. Thanks dave.

deep purple
01-22-2013, 06:45 AM
I make my own. That being said I have a lathe to do it with. I use a 3/8" bolt and center drill and tap it for the correct thread size then cut it to length. I the tap the hole for the bolt install it with a drop of thread lock, never had a falure after.

Gas Man
01-22-2013, 08:50 AM
You must be very carefull with loctite near plastics. It is like brake fluid and will eat the plastic.