PDA

View Full Version : Bike won't start

Bob
03-08-2009, 06:10 PM
My 2002 Vulcan 800 Drifter will not start. It started the other day, ran for a bit and quit. Now it just won't start. Battery is strong and the engine seems to turn strong but it just won't fire.

Any ideas?

B-Kinger
03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
When it quit, did it start to bog and sputter and miss until it died, or did it just quit like it was shut off?

Bob
03-08-2009, 06:38 PM
When it quit, did it start to bog and sputter and miss until it died, or did it just quit like it was shut off?

It just stopped. It was a little cold and the bike takes a while to warm up. It wasn't even close to being warmed up yet when it did it.

detdrbuzzard
03-08-2009, 06:40 PM
is it getting gas and howare the plugs looking

Bob
03-08-2009, 07:09 PM
plugs looked fine to me. i cleaned them up a bit but they did not need much. i'm going to check to see if it's getting fuel but it smelled like it was.

detdrbuzzard
03-08-2009, 10:44 PM
did the coils die

Bob
03-08-2009, 10:45 PM
did the coils die
I sure hope not. They are brand new. LOL

Berto
03-08-2009, 11:32 PM
when you put it up, did you use Stabil? That gas sitting there over the winter goes bad and you may have to clean the carbs.

Bob
03-08-2009, 11:38 PM
when you put it up, did you use Stabil? That gas sitting there over the winter goes bad and you may have to clean the carbs.
I used Stabil last year and did not have good luck. I used SeaFoma this year. So yes, there was something used at least. The damn FZR fired right up first shot.

Berto
03-08-2009, 11:45 PM
is it cranking? choke it up and give it a little gas when it cranks...

Bob
03-08-2009, 11:53 PM
is it cranking? choke it up and give it a little gas when it cranks...
yeah, it cranks strong. tried that. tried just the choke, choke plus throttle, just throttle. Nothing. maybe started fluid?

Berto
03-08-2009, 11:55 PM
That is odd... did you move the tank by any chance? Any chance the fuel line is pinched? has happened to me. that is very odd...

You said plugs are clean, right.

Bob
03-09-2009, 12:02 AM
That is odd... did you move the tank by any chance? Any chance the fuel line is pinched? has happened to me. that is very odd...

You said plugs are clean, right.

The bike has not moved since fall. I started it once a month and of course when the weather starts to get nicer it decides it doesn't want to start.
Yeah, I just cleaned them. I'll fiddle with it tomorrow after work and see if I can get it running.

Berto
03-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Reaaaaaly dumb question... does it have gas?

and is the petcock on primer or on or off?

I know, but I make silly mistakes like that too.

detdrbuzzard
03-09-2009, 07:36 PM
you didn't hit the kill switch by accident did you ;D

Bob
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Reaaaaaly dumb question... does it have gas?

and is the petcock on primer or on or off?

I know, but I make silly mistakes like that too.
Just filled it with new gas and the petcock I tried both on and reserve.

Bob
03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
you didn't hit the kill switch by accident did you ;D

Not that either. LOL

L7 Motorsports is supposed to come and get the bike this week and get it running for me. I just don't have the time to mess with it right now and I want tit running.

Berto
03-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Weird...

vortech302
03-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Another possibly dumb question, are the battery cables tight? One of mine came loose when I was out and about, took a couple minutes to figure that one out

Bob
03-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Another possibly dumb question, are the battery cables tight? One of mine came loose when I was out and about, took a couple minutes to figure that one out
Yeah, I checked them too. I sure hope it's not something simple.

Like one day, back in high school, my Mustang would not start. My mom took me to work and picked me up. My dad said the car started fine for him. We went out, I got in it and it would not start. My dad and neighbor are under the hood trying to figure it out. Come to find out, I was not pushing the clutch in. LMAO Had the car for like 2 weeks and for some reason that day I must of forgot I drove a stick.

Berto
03-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Did you pull the clutch in?

Did you have the kickstand down?

Gas Man
03-10-2009, 01:46 AM
Want me to stop by Bob? I can shake a stick at it and kick it over... or at least get another pair of eyes on it.

Bob
03-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Want me to stop by Bob? I can shake a stick at it and kick it over... or at least get another pair of eyes on it.

I'm going to try and pull the plugs again tomorrow and clean them and maybe try some started fluid and see if I can get it to start. If not I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer!

Berto
03-11-2009, 12:03 AM

I'm going to try and pull the plugs again tomorrow and clean them and maybe try some started fluid and see if I can get it to start. If not I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer!

If the weekend is mild, Bob's could be a ride location... hmmmm... The Fix Bob's bike ride.

Gas Man
03-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah maybe... if there are any bikes in my garage to ride.... see my new thread ;) :-X

Bob
03-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a fuel issue. It will run on starting fluid no problem. I want to check the fuel filter but these morons make it so you have to totally drain the tank to do so and I did not have the time for that tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can and then check the fuel filter.

Gas Man
03-11-2009, 11:55 PM
I will again offer help and/or the use of my lift and tools. Just let me know...

Have you checked for spark?

Are you sure its getting gas? Can you see gas spraying in?

Is the gas good?

Get a bottle of known good gas. When cranking it over... spray gas into the carb (obviously the air filter is off). If it starts... then you know its the gas delivery or the gas itself.

Bob
03-12-2009, 12:07 AM
I will again offer help and/or the use of my lift and tools. Just let me know...

Have you checked for spark?

Are you sure its getting gas? Can you see gas spraying in?

Is the gas good?

Get a bottle of known good gas. When cranking it over... spray gas into the carb (obviously the air filter is off). If it starts... then you know its the gas delivery or the gas itself.

Thanks man! I don't even have a trailer to haul it anywhere anyway. LOL

I can see it half ass spraying it. It's why I'm thinking the filter is clogged.

It's brand new gas I threw in last weekend.

Gas Man
03-12-2009, 01:28 AM
get some seafoam and a new filter

Bob
03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
get some seafoam and a new filter
I put Seasfoam in it about 3 months ago. LOL

Berto
03-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Sounds like it's a dirty filter... good luck with that. Let us know if you need help with any of it.

Bob
03-13-2009, 10:42 PM
I decided to fix this myself. If it takes me 4 months so be it. LMAO I got the tank drained and pulled off. Pulled the petcock and the filter is clean as new. HOWEVER, I for sure need a new petcock because mine leaks. It never cuts off. I'm also ordering a Dyojet kit for the carb and when that gets here I'm going to clean the carb and do that. The previous owner said he did a jet kit but I think it was done wrong or using the wrong kit. I figure I'll do it and know it got done right. I talked to Dynojet today and they told me what setting it should be on. So, hopefully after the kit and petcock it will run better than new. This weekend I plan on changing the oil, coolant, vacuum hoses, and ripping the smog junk off. We'll see how far I get.