PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry While Riding

Ultra AL
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey ~

I am a member on some of the other motorcycling forums and being I'm a new rider , I've been reading a bit about how to be safer and be seen, etc. while out on the bike. One of the worries I have is the idiot tailgater who doesn't realize (or care) that what is normally a fender bender when tapping the car in front of you can be a serious/deadly interaction if you tap a motorcyclist because you are too stupid to allow a space cushion.

One of the ways to prevent or reduce tailgating that I've read about is to open carry my handgun while riding. This seems to work according to a few postings I've read. I wonder if any of our TWM forum readers are gun owners, and what their experiences with open carry while riding have been like. Are you hassled more frequently by the cops? Pulled over for the little 2-5 mph over speed limit infractions, etc.? But most importantly, do you feel you are safer from the vehicles around you?

I do have my CPL, and I did open carry while riding on Saturday (I know, it's cold outside, but hey, I gotta ride!), and I had a guy tailgate for a bit, then when I stopped for a light, I think he saw my .40 XD(m) on my hip, as he backed off after that.

Thanks!

Mad Dog
01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Given a choice I will always conceal. I don't want to give away my advantage of surprise.
That guy in the car might have a gun also and be a fucktard on Prozak. JMO

sprink
01-07-2013, 09:30 PM
A motorcycle is a motor vehicle in Michigan. If you have a CPL you may not have a problem. Open carry on a motorcycle without the CPL could be a felony CCW.

Silly to think it would help in traffic. If you think it helps by intimidation, then that is Brandishing by definition, a crime.

Just my opinion of course.

Gas Man
01-07-2013, 10:24 PM
A motorcycle is a motor vehicle in Michigan. If you have a CPL you may not have a problem. Open carry on a motorcycle without the CPL could be a felony CCW.

Silly to think it would help in traffic. If you think it helps by intimidation, then that is Brandishing by definition, a crime.

Just my opinion of course.

True... carry in a vehicle is concealed so one would have to have a CPL.

I have open carried and it does work as a nice perimeter gap when riding. It's not intimidation because I'm not touching it in response to something another driver did or does. Bottom line is this... if the showing of my gun causes other drivers to give me more space for whatever reason, I'm good with that!

Superglide... many of us are gun owners... there is a whole section in Off Topic for guns and such.

Lrider
01-08-2013, 02:08 PM
I think it would be rather difficult while following someone on a bike to see a pistol on their hip, even though it's legal I believe it'll be way more trouble than it's worth, IMO. I always agreed with the phrase.... Outta sight outta mind. I always prefer to fly under the radar.

Mudpuppy
01-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Given a choice I will always conceal. I don't want to give away my advantage of surprise.

amen my brother from another mother.. I like to be underestimated and then crush people..

Gas Man
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I think it would be rather difficult while following someone on a bike to see a pistol on their hip, even though it's legal I believe it'll be way more trouble than it's worth, IMO. I always agreed with the phrase.... Outta sight outta mind. I like always preferred to fly under the radar.

I hear that... but who's shooting down bikers rolling down the road?

I only know one fellow rider who also open carries and has had a problem. got pulled over, spoke to the cop, cop understood and let him roll. Only instance I have heard where the cop stopped a rider.

Thruxtonbill
01-09-2013, 09:19 AM
I think it would be rather difficult while following someone on a bike to see a pistol on their hip, even though it's legal I believe it'll be way more trouble than it's worth, IMO. I always agreed with the phrase.... Outta sight outta mind. I like always preferred to fly under the radar.

Bam!

bombdog
01-09-2013, 11:43 AM

X2 On a bike is not as bad but open carry on the street if you are not trained is silly you could get shot with your own gun. I would rather the other guy not know I have one.

Ultra AL
01-09-2013, 12:30 PM
X2 On a bike is not as bad but open carry on the street if you are not trained is silly you could get shot with your own gun. I would rather the other guy not know I have one.

My question isn't really related to whether or not people OC versus CC on a regular basis, and what you are more comfortable with. I'm not trying to debate the OC vs CC argument. I most often CC in regular daily life. I am also comfortable with OC, and have done that from time to time, and I see many benefits to both sides of the argument. Many people have made the decision to OC in their daily lives, and it works for them.

My question is really very simple, and it's in 2 parts...

1. If you have OC'd while riding, have you found it to be a deterrent to tailgaters creeping too close on you?

2. If you have OC'd while riding, have you experienced more hassle (i.e. being pulled over, etc), from the LEO's out there.

Thanks!

bombdog
01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
But for those of us with training, and with RETENTION holsters designed for open carry, what say you bombdog?

Go for it! I love guns training and awareness are the key. I have had one on my leg every workday for years but I personally would always rather carry concealed than open unless I am hunting. Even more so now with all the anti gun idiots out there if they dont see it they wont cry.

bombdog
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
My question isn't really related to whether or not people OC versus CC on a regular basis, and what you are more comfortable with. I'm not trying to debate the OC vs CC argument. I most often CC in regular daily life. I am also comfortable with OC, and have done that from time to time, and I see many benefits to both sides of the argument. Many people have made the decision to OC in their daily lives, and it works for them.

My question is really very simple, and it's in 2 parts...

1. If you have OC'd while riding, have you found it to be a deterrent to tailgaters creeping too close on you?

2. If you have OC'd while riding, have you experienced more hassle (i.e. being pulled over, etc), from the LEO's out there.

Thanks!

Sorry I was just agreeing with Mad Dog open carry in PA was very common up north and in Hunting season but here all I can ever think of is the guys doing it at arts beats and eats and me personally would rather keep laws like that under the radar rather than getting people talking about it.

I have seen people open carry on bikes but I rarely see bikes pulled over.