PDA

View Full Version : CCW permit

Lrider
12-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Been thinking about it for along time, kind of a putting it off kind of thing but these last 2 shootings (Mall,School) are for me the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. Just way to much of this BS going on these days to put it off any longer. So tomorrow I take the class. Wish me luck.
Oh and for a carry piece I'm looking real hard at the Glock 36 and the 30, like the 36 for it's slimmer profile but I like the 30 for the extra capacity and the fact that it will accept any of the Glock mags. I'd appreciate any input.

Mad Dog
12-28-2012, 03:04 PM
You have made a good decision to get your carry permit.

Ask yourself how many handguns do I intend to own. A .45 is great in winter(carried my 5" 1911 today)but can be problematic in the warmer months as you wear less.
The issue with capacity is something that carries far too much weight. I suggest that any handgun you intend to carry you become very proficient with and that only happens thru practice.
Make each shot count.
You need to know it inside and out to the point that you can load it AND clear a misfire with your eyes closed.
Personally I carry a 5 shot revolver for the most part. Can't jam and if I need more than 5 I should have stayed out of the hood!

Lrider
12-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Have owned a number of different pistols over the years, single action and double action wheel guns + autoloaders.
Currently have a couple 22's and my favorite a (Colt 1911), which I love but don't necessarily want for a primary carry piece... So that's what brings me to the G30, caliber..rugged..dependable..price. Was never a big Glock fan but this little pistol looks like it would be hard to beat.

Mad Dog
12-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Glocks have always been considered one of the most reliable. Thought you were just getting your permit and first hand gun.
Looks like you have a pretty good handle on things.
I do stress regular practice though. It's the only way to stay on top of things.

Lrider
12-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Totally agree with you on the regular practice!! Even though I've owned pistols and long guns for many years, I realize that I'm a total beginner when it comes to concealed carry,so I'm all ears. Any advice would be much appreciated.

sprink
12-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Totally agree with you on the regular practice!! Even though I've owned pistols and long guns for many years, I realize that I'm a total beginner when it comes to concealed carry,so I'm all ears. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The Glock 36 is a nice pistol.

I had a Glock 30 and could not use it. My finger got pinched between the mag and the grip when I fired it. I am sure it is fine for most people, I just bring that up because you reminded me. You should try to shoot whatever you are considering purchasing first. If you know someone or can find some one that owns one it can save you from getting something you don't like. I went through a lot of pistols, lol (including 7 glocks).

Also, really consider buying a used one. You can save money and, if you change your mind, sell it for the same you paid for it.

The 30 does not take all glock mags, just 30 and 21.

Also, seriously consider taking more classes after the mandatory CPL class. You really won't learn much there. MDFI is one company that offers more instruction. There are others, but I know them.

Lrider
12-29-2012, 07:51 AM
I've heard that about getting your finger pinched, thanks for the heads up. And yes I will be looking at the 36.

alhall88
12-29-2012, 10:06 AM
One thing to consider too is holsters and possible interchangeability. Like most of us that carry we probably have quite a bit of money tied up in holsters. I carried a glock 30 for some time and had no issues with it. I still have a 21 and a G33. I carry a 3 inch 1911 most all the time but I could never get rid of my G33 because of all the money I have in holsters for that pc.

Lrider
12-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Well finally after 9 hrs of class and range time I completed the CPL class, am glad I finally took care of that, now next week I'm off to the county clerks office to drop off the forms, certificate and $105. Then to the Sheriff's office to be finger printed. Then the wait begins.

SportstersPaul
12-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Don't forget your pictures,LOL!

Lrider
12-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah all set there, had them taken where I took the class.

Bob
12-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Have owned a number of different pistols over the years, single action and double action wheel guns + autoloaders.
Currently have a couple 22's and my favorite a (Colt 1911), which I love but don't necessarily want for a primary carry piece... So that's what brings me to the G30, caliber..rugged..dependable..price. Was never a big Glock fan but this little pistol looks like it would be hard to beat.
I was the same way as you. I hated Glocks for the longest time because they never felt right to me. But the newer versions are much better and I actually took a tactical pistol / self defense class a few months back and I used the instructors Glock for it and really liked it. The buddy that took the class with me shoots competition and I've dealt with his competition Glocks that he customizes himself and it even felt better yet.

Bob
12-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Alos remember that the CPL class is sort of a joke as far as teaching you anything. I highly recommend taking several advance type classes. The last one I took was nice because we were taught shooting on the move while moving, frontward, sideways and backward and shooting in all postions from standing to laying on the ground. We even did course work that we had to walk backwards through it while keeping on target and maneuvering around obstacles we could not see.

Also you want to be mentally prepared to pull the trigger to save a loved ones or your own skin. In today's world it's not always going to be a 300 pound rough looking dude, 12 year olds are jacking people in Detroit now a days.

Lrider
12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Yeah I totally agree that it was somewhat of a joke, just one of the hoop's the state makes you jump thru. And I definitely will be looking into some additional training, this permit is just the first step. Thinking that I'm good to go at this point, would be like a 16 yr old who just got his drivers license thinking he knows all there is to know about driving a car.

Mudpuppy
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjyZG7OdCYA_N_-8BUQ6tzvA1DfuWLh0B1roZjX9JpkcGc3-HL

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_H8KDKpNcbYo/TQJHTYH9SLI/AAAAAAAABZI/YDD9ZIOW-bU/s1600/blog%2B.45%2Bdon%2527t%2Bmake%2B.46.JPG

Mad Dog
01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Ah, back in the day! Remember The Heater?
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/kirk-spock-heater.jpg

Lrider
01-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Star Trek, use to be my favorite show right after Lost In Space.

Gas Man
01-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Trek lover here!!

Mad Dog
01-03-2013, 11:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pg87RxxhyA

Mudpuppy
01-03-2013, 02:14 PM
lol, the heater

Gas Man
01-03-2013, 02:15 PM
FWIW: I'm sitting in line to renew my CWP right now.

Mad Dog
01-03-2013, 06:26 PM
That's right. They let old guys sit............

Gas Man
01-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Mother jackers... raised it to $120 per renewal.

Mad Dog
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
How often do you need to renew? Mine is good for life. At least now.
Who knows what the future holds.

sprink
01-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Five years

Lrider
01-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Mother jackers... raised it to $120 per renewal.

$120? That's BS!! That renewal amount has to be a huge money maker for the state, bastards.

Picked up a Glock 30 (45acp) for concealed carry, while in a Meijers tonite I walked over to the sporting goods area to look at ammo... $25 for a box of Winchester 230 FMJ, holy chit!!! Guess I'll have to break out the reloading gear again so I can afford to shoot this puppy. Oh well, It'll give me something to do this winter.

Gas Man
01-03-2013, 11:34 PM
OH and don't waste your time with a passport pic. Wayne county is taking their own.

And Lrider, this is for Wayne county... each county is different.

Lrider
01-04-2013, 12:23 AM
OH and don't waste your time with a passport pic. Wayne county is taking their own.

And Lrider, this is for Wayne county... each county is different.

Well I have 5 yrs before I'll have to think about.

Gas Man
01-04-2013, 01:46 AM
True. But by then you won't be allowed to, if the liberals get their way. Which I doubt they will...

Mudpuppy
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
or if china gets their way..

bombdog
01-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Dont forget to look at Kel Tek my carry is the P11 great gun one of the smallest lightest 9mm made and +P certified so its close to a 40 cal that I can have in my shorts and nobody know very reliable and not that expensive. Its no Target gun but I have them and they are not carry guns.