PDA

View Full Version : Did you bike accident change the way you ride?

Gas Man
12-23-2012, 11:40 PM
I know my MC/bike accidents have..

I watch out more for deer and potholes.

What about you?

Bagger Dave
12-24-2012, 01:42 AM
Knock on wood! I always try to watch out for potholes...deer...dumb cagers...etc.

Mad Dog
12-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Haven't had one yet but one thing that always is in the back of my mind is animals.
After 25 years driving truck I have gotten pretty good at predicting what cagers will do.
Animals, that's a different story. They come from anywhere at any time of the day.

junkyardjon
12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
i've learned i don't heal as fast anymore !!! i've been busted up more times than i can count, mostly caused by myself LOL. i started out on mini bikes as a wee little lad and never stopped riding. my knee's, hands & back are shot. one of the best stories i have involve's chasing an ice cream truck on my dirt bike and hitting a parked car going about 30mph LOL

leebo
12-24-2012, 02:33 PM
I have been in 3 all when I was young,2 of em involved cagers running stop signs.one was kinda 50/50 nobodys fault it just happened.I have learned to drive with a "everybodys out to get me" attitude and it has served me well.

Gas Man
12-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Great stories gents!! :lol:

Moesride
12-24-2012, 08:44 PM
It's changed my style riding for sure! I was careless and had the "It won't happen to me" mentality. Well, I went down on the freeway and I DO NOT want to do that again. Now I ride alert and cautious.

sprink
12-24-2012, 11:27 PM
I have not had a bad accident, but my 20 mph lowside certainly got my attention and taught me about gravel and such in turns.

Hitting the ground a few times on my dirt bike taught me I better quit that while I was young.

WILEY
12-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Only accident have had was with a dog in the road at 0300 leaving work.

Cameup over a rise in the road and there was a German Sheperd straddling the double yellow sniffing road kill. Slowed down went to the right side of the raod and she tured and ran right into the bike. After the hit I road on a little to make sure everything including me was still working right.

Turned around went back and sorted things out.

As mentioned above animals are unpredictable. Hasent made me change how i ride. Been on the street for 27+ years so have seen alot of stuff. Will say, was glad I had some experience, probably what kept me upright and uninjured.

Gas Man
12-25-2012, 11:15 AM
That sucks man. Did you find out who's dog it was?

WILEY
12-25-2012, 01:44 PM
That sucks man. Did you find out who's dog it was?

Yup.

Waited for the local PD to show up as wandering around in peoples back yards in the middle of the night didnt seem like a good idea. Dog went home and was on the guys back porch not far from where got hit. Cop and i both told the guy to take the dog to the vet, dont know if he did or not. Cope was gaging guys reaction to see if he was going to be an ass about the dog getting hit. If he had been, cop would have issued a 500 leash fine. Owner was ok, but dog was banged up pretty good. might have had broken pelvis. Hope the guy took her to vet.

other than a good size bruise to my leg where the dog hit it and 900 bucks worth of damage to the bike, everything worked out. Amazing the amount of damage a 100 lb dog can do when you hit em doing 40mph or so.

Gas Man
12-25-2012, 02:16 PM
100# anything will screw some stuff up.

sprink
12-25-2012, 08:41 PM
100# anything will screw some stuff up.

It doesn't take 100 #. I hit a raccoon on 94 in a Mustang and destroyed the front valence and bent the bottom of the radiator support. It was a big coon, but not 100#,lol. No one could believe it was only a raccoon. Of course I was going 95.....

Gas Man
12-25-2012, 08:57 PM
So true...

Mudpuppy
01-02-2013, 04:21 PM
after breaking enough bones and bikes you figure out crashing sucks

Nobody
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
It doesn't take 100 #. I hit a raccoon on 94 in a Mustang and destroyed the front valence and bent the bottom of the radiator support. It was a big coon, but not 100#,lol. No one could believe it was only a raccoon. Of course I was going 95.....

age old addage... " F=m*a "

:D