PDA

View Full Version : Tragic

Thruxtonbill
12-14-2012, 07:44 PM
The news from Ct made me ill today as I'm sure it did many of you. My thoughts go out to the victims and families.
As I'm watching the news it occurs to me, the talking heads pontificate as to the reasons why, we talk about the senselessness of it and how could someone do this, it's simple....these people who commit these acts are INSANE, there are no other reasons. So this will soon turn into a gun debate and I'm not worried about that happening on this forum but you'll hear about it for sure. The Prez danced around it today during his presser.
Again, God bless these children who had not even begun to live their lives...so so sad.

Bagger Dave
12-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah...thoughts and prayers to the victims and families...very sad....I can't believe WTF is wrong with some people these days:wtf:

Moesride
12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
You hit it dead on...INSANE!!..... there can be no other logical explanation. My heart goes out to the families....

leebo
12-14-2012, 07:58 PM
This stuff just makes me crazy n sad at the same time!

Mad Dog
12-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Gun free zones will always be the the destination of choice for these cowardly low life assholes.
Now don't jump all over me but what if an administrator or even a parent picking up a child had a handgun on them today?
Could this have changed the balance and saved lives? People with valid pistol permits will never present a problem in schools
and the cowards just ignore the laws anyway. Right?

Moesride
12-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I completely agree with you MD......just today as a matter of fact, I met a guy while I was in a local coney joint and we were discussing this very topic of what if someone would have been armed. Perhaps minimizing the senseless display of insanity!

Gas Man
12-14-2012, 09:08 PM
They need to lift the gun free zones... they don't work. I heard a while back that some universities were looking into changing policy to arm their professors after the university shootings. Same mentality.

Bottom line is this... the logic is flawed...

Make guns illegal, just like we made cocaine and other drugs illegal, because that works so well with drugs and keep that off the streets.

My heart and prayers go out to the families affected there. This is insanely bad for the entire nation.

Mad Dog
12-14-2012, 10:26 PM
I have 11 students on my bus everyday. 6 of them are 8 years old and under with the youngest being 4.
I do not and cannot carry any kind of weapon. I am told if the bus is attacked not to resist and let the perp have his way.
I'm confused. Aren't we supposed to protect children?
I think this method is outdated based on what we have been seeing the last several years.
People preach peace and love but the human race is the only species to hunt down and kill its own.
It is for this very reason that there will always be those few in society that do not resist the primal urge to seek out and eliminate their victims.
There is only one way to deal with these maggots......Lethal Force!

Gas Man
12-14-2012, 11:44 PM
The people educating and as you said told to protect the kids... need to start with arming these employees.

Kosher
12-15-2012, 05:57 PM
I do not own a gun, nor frankly do I desire to own a gun.

However, the level of ignorance about guns is shocking. Several of my FB friends decrying semi automatic weapons. So I asked - what is a semi automatic weapon?

Answer: fire off several rounds with a single trigger pull.

WRONG. There isnt a legal firearm that does that.

Then the call for more firearms regulation - CT has some of the strictest laws in the country. "There should be a mental stability test".

OK, fine, well that wouldnt have prevented this killing because he didnt buy the gun.

What we have here is a failure to deal with mental illness, not a failure to regulate guns.

RedneckMedic
12-15-2012, 06:13 PM
[What we have here is a failure to deal with mental illness, not a failure to regulate guns.[/QUOTE]This!!!!

Moesride
12-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Kosher...that is a very lucid explanation , and I do agree. Unfortunately, I think it's next to impossible to keep 100% of these mentally disturbed peope in check. It only takes one! So sad........

Rebel Scum
12-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Kosher, I must say that was a very well stated post. Crazy is Crazy and that was the problem for sure with this POS. God Bless the children and the families, I can't even imagine the hard times they have ahead of them.

RedneckMedic
12-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Kosher...that is a very lucid explanation , and I do agree. Unfortunately, I think it's next to impossible to keep 100% of these mentally disturbed peope in check. It only takes one! So sad........

The problem is it takes so much to actually get people to a point where they get help and with the health care crisis on top of it all people are way too easily released from psychiatric facilities with on average a 3 day to a week stay. the meds to control these people take 3 weeks to become effective and reach the therapeutic level so in a week these people know the system and what to say to get out and then they stop the meds because they either feel they don't need them or they hate the side effects (which honestly do suck). so they don't take them and there is no follow up in place other than a person wanting to get help. So your right Moe it is impossible to keep these people in check and they only way to stop them is to have citizen who are able to and know how to fight back when things like these happen and in this case it sounds like some did or it could have been worse. And like I always say guns dont kill people, people kill people. So even if there were no more guns left on the planet then people would find another way. there have been psychotic narcissistic killers since the beginning of time i.e. kane and abel and I think the difference now is between social media and what the news chooses to report on and how they wish to spin it people freak out more so the exposure that could be used for good is just fucked in my eyes. I see the scum of the earth everyday and where we need to start is Ironically and sadly is when children are younger life skills and common sense (read this as better critical thinking skills because there is no such thing as "common sense" or everyone would have it. It makes me sick and I almost wish we could have a reset button that speeds up natural selection because damn it takes way to long. sorry I'll stop now. :devil::biggun::rant::deadhorse:

Nobody
12-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Gas Man
12-16-2012, 12:26 AM
I was going to post that as well Nobody!! :dthumb:

Nobody
12-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Rodger Ebert has weighed in on the subject before as well

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PezlFNTGWv4

Mad Dog
12-16-2012, 11:15 AM
How True!

leebo
12-16-2012, 01:59 PM
I know everyones angry and wants to fix the problem.but for ME right now i cant express what i feel.

Kosher
12-16-2012, 03:57 PM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/newtown.asp, scroll down just past the middle of the page.

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Kosher
12-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Thought provoking. Its making the rounds on FB, but truly, if you have children - what would you do?

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

Thruxtonbill
12-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Thought provoking. Its making the rounds on FB, but truly, if you have children - what would you do?

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html
Just read it on another forum, wow, she's screaming it "I need help"

Gas Man
12-16-2012, 11:08 PM
God Bless that woman!!

Kosher
01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread because I just read the most cogent discussion of this issue yet. Its a long read but really spot on.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-riddle-of-the-gun/