PDA

View Full Version : Poll shows a near 'super majority' oppose new law lifting motorcycle helmet mandate

Kosher
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/12/mlive_survey_sixty-three_perce.html

Gas Man
12-06-2012, 10:35 PM
I believe it but the problem with polls is all about who you poll.

RedneckMedic
12-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeah out of those 600 probably a quarter at most ride.

leebo
12-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Why is mlive even polling this?they dont have anyother stories?

Nobody
12-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Polling method is questionable at best. Small pool, high bias from demographic of the readers. Same problem the GOP had in the election cycle.

4 out 5 people say they like Orange over Green, you get "80% of people say Orange is better than Green." Poll a month later and say only 3 out of 5 say they prefer orange over green you get "Poll shows 20% decrease in support of Orange!" When really we're talking about the difference of only 1 person. So say there were only 3 deaths where a rider was wearing a helmet, and 4 deaths where the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. You get a headline such as "Study shows riders who don't wear helmets suffer 33% more deaths!"

And with motorcycles we're talking about 2000-3000 deaths (all counted whether or not someone said a helmet would have saved the person) a year which comes out to a statistically (extremely) unimportant percentage of the over all deaths that are considered "preventable" (deaths directly related to poverty, for instance, account for about 5% and that's still multiple magnitudes higher than total motorcycle related deaths)

And just as a fyi & bit of perspective, accidental drowning deaths account for about 2,500 death out of the total deaths per year.
And globally 56-57 million people die every year (total, not distinguished as preventable v. unpreventable) just for a large scale perspective.

As far as polling goes, hit several million people spread across the state then we've got something to start with.

Kosher
12-07-2012, 05:10 AM
I believe the polling methods were statistically sound. I do think that when asked, there is political support for repeal. So when we get a democratic administration, trust me, we'll all be wearing helmets.

One thing that does bother me is this: Speculation of whether helmet use "would have saved" someone in a given accident. You just don't know.

I personally believe that having ABS would have saved many of those lives.

And the other thing thats interesting - mLive has been running a series of articles on this - its incredible to me the high percentage where the motorcyclist is at fault, and/or the motorcyclist was not licensed to ride.

So lets say for sh1ts and grins that we could eliminate 50% of the motorcyclist stupidity (and cagers stupidity), and get ABS for everyone, there would be a lot fewer deaths.

Gas Man
12-08-2012, 02:04 PM
I can agree with most of that kosher.