PDA

View Full Version : Trick Slick Nostalgia/GMG

RedneckMedic
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Built by Aaron from Gas Monkey and people think they don't have a shot in this build off I think this bike is siick

http://www.barnettsmagazine.com/media/k2/items/cache/5ee920bde95f8271a557f1d08754f62c_L.jpg (http://www.barnettsmagazine.com/media/k2/items/cache/5ee920bde95f8271a557f1d08754f62c_XL.jpg)

You are not looking at the ultimate barn find even though it looks like it was ripped out of the pages of a 1965 Hot Rod magazine coverage of the finals at Lions Drag Strip and carefully put away wet. This two-wheeled apparent time traveler is actually brought to you directly from the 21st Century by David Coker, owner of Newstalgia Wheel in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and the builder, Gas Monkey Garage in Dallas, Texas.

It doesn’t take too long to figure out this isn’t the real thing or a clone, but a tribute to an era with a combination of old and ultra-hip technology rolled into one package that owes nothing to anybody except its extremely talented Gas Monkey Garage designer and fabricator, Aaron Kaufman. “He’s the kind of guy you might not notice in a crowd, but when you sit and talk with him — his mind is just spinning!” said David.
Although you’d never know it, Aaron based this build on an Independent Cycles LOWLIFE frame. Logical to do as it accepts wide rear tires and sits long and low, like a real ‘60s dragster. Yeah dragster, as you can’t miss the obvious showpiece this bike was built around, the M&H Racemaster slick, the pride of Watertown, Massachusetts, that demands you to know it means business. If you saw a tire like this on a bike back in the day, you gave the owner/rider silent respect. Making it seem even more right is the way cool 15” satin–finish Radir Tri-Ribb III wheel Aaron mounted hot-rod-style on a ’64 Buick finned brake drum. Aaron hung that off a single-sided swingarm he fabbed up too. How cool is all that?
Looking like it was stolen from a ‘60s front-engine rail is the 12-spoke Radir Dragster that sits brakeless between a set of forks unlike any you’ve probably seen. Aaron used the early Ford I-Beam front suspension for his inspiration for what looks like a single-piece rigid fork, Then you notice the rockers to the wheel axle which have aircraft-sourced push-pull cables running up each drilled-out I-beam leg to the frame’s neck area where they’re connected to an air-bag suspension that Aaron concocted. Previously David mentioned that he noticed Aaron’s “mind is just spinning,” well that’s nothing compared to the way my mind was spinning after checking out the quiet details of Aaron’s build so far. All the right hot rod cues, all the right stuff used, this was getting to be way more than just a pleasant drag bike recreation.
Originally, the rendering for this bike featured a long boardtracker-style tank hanging under the length of the top tube, but David said, “When Aaron created that contraption of an air bag, we’re like, ‘ Oh hell, we gotta show that.’ It was just so much hyper-technology.” Aaron made two tasty-cute stainless tanks for the engine’s liquids that provided a cool piece of style on their own and didn’t interfere with the fork-tech. He also finished more neat touches like the fender, seat pan with leather cover by Exclusive Auto, handlebars, and those far out H-D running boards with a grass weave cover to match the ’31 Ford’s floorboards.
Another change to the original rendering was doing away with the old Harley green paint. “I’m like, ‘Nope, I don’t want anything shiny. It needs to look like it happened back then,” David said. Aaron and K.C. Mathieu gave this bike a patina using red primer on H-D green with graphics by Brian Bass to achieve the barn fresh look.
The drivetrain was the simplest part of this project. A ’64 FLH was procured, the rebuilt engine pulled, and installed connected to a BAKER RSD 5-speed tranny via an Aaron-built open-belt primary. Header-wrapped wrapped headers give it attitude and sound.
David Coker has the last word, “ How many ways can you do a bike? Well, we found another one.”

Thruxtonbill
12-05-2012, 05:32 PM
To me it's ass ugly and completely useless. Hell, you don't even need a kickstand, just lean it over on the peg.

Kosher
12-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Where's the cup holder?

WILEY
12-05-2012, 06:08 PM
not my style.

Pull the drivetrain and scrap the rest.

junkyardjon
12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
i kind of dig it but would change the forks and paint for sure. i bet it has air ride..

Gas Man
12-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm more with jon. But I just flat out dig it.

It is completely bagged... you can see the front air bag in front the gas tank and see the rear section of the frame is sitting on the ground, so the air bag is in the seat cowl area.

Very good job by GMG

Moesride
12-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Dead on with changing the forks......other than that, I like it!

Nobody
12-06-2012, 01:10 AM
junk. but some one will love it, there are some perverse people out there

horrorbusiness
12-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't hate it , but nothing new or innovative. I am no fan of Jesse or o.c.c but I can respect that Jesse does make a lot of the parts on his bike. I have friends that do metal fab for a living and its a lot work and I consider it an art.

junkyardjon
12-06-2012, 07:16 PM
everything has been done before. some people like stock bikes, some like bolt on's, some like to buy bikes already done and some like to build.

Caveman
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
junk. but some one will love it, there are some perverse people out there

WOW, really? this from you? hmmm, oookaaaayy