PDA

View Full Version : Big Dog Motorcycles

Gas Man
08-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Well lets see if I'm the only one....* ???

Berto
08-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Yup...

I got my VTX 1300C... so I won't look too far from you...* looks like this...

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2898/8985g7te2.jpg[/img]

This is not mine, but close enough...

Like it because it looks like a chopper a little but at a much lower price point... which is what I can afford.

gtohrl
09-05-2008, 08:23 AM
What are we to see here?
Nothing shows up for me to see or read???????????????????????

Bob
09-05-2008, 09:21 AM
I think he was just asking if anyone was riding on BigDog Motorcycles.

www.bdm.com (http://www.bdm.com)

Gas Man
09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah... what do you want to see?* I got about 2,000 pics of mine in various states of build

09-08-2008, 05:52 AM
I've been seeing quite q few for sale on Craigs List lately. One of the more know chopper builders is now named Aurora I believe too, but I don't remember which maker it is. (was).

I don't know if they were sold or changed the name due to legal stuff.

Anyway, how do you like that Chopper? If you were going to buy another bike now, would you buy the same (or similar) thing?

And where did you go to buy it? There's only 2-3 dealers in MI right? (I see you're in SE MI, so am I, maybe I've seen you around)

Gas Man
09-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah I'm not sure about Aurora but no name changes by BDM... BDM is owned by Sheldon Coleman... like coleman camping supplies..* they aren't going anywhere real soon, even though they have just laid off another 200 employees due to the economy and lack of sales of $30k bikes.

I love my bike.* Its a pure hot rod on 2 wheels.* Shakes like one, sounds like one and hauls ass!!* There is nothing shy of a rocket that will keep up or look as good doing it.*

I got it at Forest Cycle in Flint, but then I lived up there.* Full Throttle is nice and they're in Lansing, I'm in real good with the General Manager and many other managers there.* I have had to teach them a few things with Big Dogs, which I think I may know better than some of their mechanics even.* American Cycle Mistakes is in Waterford, but I have been told they just lost the BDM line, that the factory took back all their left over BDM stock.* I also heard they are moving back across the street to their old building cause the one they are in now cost too much (like $10k a month).* * But when the big man closes one door, he often opens another... Beezer's Cycle in Hamburg is now a authorized service center.* he's an old school biker and knows how to take care of a customer.

Would I buy another.* Sure, and do the same things I've done.* I don't like their EHC ( pc controlled on the bike), I don't think it has any place on these huge vibrating machines.* But out of any custom VIN numbered big inch bikes, BDM has it going on!* They make a far superior product and back it like you wouldn't believe.* I know DOZENS of guys that have had the factory pick up warrenty items as far as 3 years after the 2 year warrenty has expiered.* Just the other day I sent a guy to the factory contacts I have... he lives about 4 hrs from the factory and they are going to do all his repairs in one day (and its allot of work), and they told him if they don't get it done in that day, they will put him up at a local hotel.* THAT IS SERVICE!!!

But for me, I want a full dresser.* Something better for longer rides, storage space, and NO bling (no chrome if I can).* That way I can ride in the rain or whatever and it won't take 3 hrs to clean it.* Either that or both, I would build my own bobber... hand pick the parts and go from there.* Basically like I did with this one when I tore it down.

09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Interesting....thanks for the scoop, do you have any online pics of your teardown and rebuild?

So what SE city are you in now? I might need to ride by one day and check that bike out in person.* ;D

And I don't remember which company changed their name, I'm going to have to dig around and find it again. Once I find it, it sounds like you'll know what went down. Not that it matters, it just struck me odd that suddenly they changed, and I then wondered if they changed hands too.

And again, not that it matters, and I don't know if it's related, but "Coleman" also had a line of outdoor power equipment for awhile, more specifically generators, and that "division" of Coleman just closed altogether recently. It's kind of funny too because one company bought all the spare/repair parts stock, then, another different company bought all the existing completed generators. LOL.

Gas Man
09-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Oh yeah I have the whole thing online... a threaded blog... on the OLD TWF that we don't use anymore... but its there... 14 pages and about a bizzilion pics!* TWF (http://www.twowheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=23017)* But it shows EVERYTHING I did during the hole process.* I really did it for my big dog forums but copied it over on the other forum.* Even some vids at the end when I started it.

I'm in Brownstown/Woodhaven area.*

Yeah its probably coleman trying to keep all his irons in the fire that he believes will bring him most profit.

Bob
09-09-2008, 12:56 PM
You should of just built a bike yourself Chris!* LOL*

Do all BigDogs have S&S engines?* I love the S&S engines.* Always hear good stuff about them.

Gas Man
09-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah all BDM have S&S motors.* Is there really any other option??* Well... maybe a Jims...

09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
So what did you do, buy it in pieces, and assemble it yourself? (I haven't looked at the pics/blog yet)

I thought there was a chopper manufacturer that was selling a bike as a kit you could build and paint yourself, or they paint and you build, or they just do the whole thing. I don't remember which maker it was though.

What's the name of another popular mass producing chopper maker, besides Big Dog? A guy and his wife own it, but now the name escapes me and it's driving me nuts.* >:( (maybe it is BDM)

Bob
09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
So what did you do, buy it in pieces, and assemble it yourself? (I haven't looked at the pics/blog yet)

I thought there was a chopper manufacturer that was selling a bike as a kit you could build and paint yourself, or they paint and you build, or they just do the whole thing. I don't remember which maker it was though.

What's the name of another popular mass producing chopper maker, besides Big Dog? A guy and his wife own it, but now the name escapes me and it's driving me nuts.* >:( (maybe it is BDM)

No he bought it complete and then did a bunch of custom work.*

That would be cool it buy the bike in parts and just assemble it.* Would make a perfect winter project.

09-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I got thru two pages. I like those pipes that guy made, and with those shields they look even better!* ;)

Gas Man
09-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Doug... you are thinking of Big Bear Choppers. *You can do all kinds of things with them.

I bought mine done... rode it for 2 years, wanted to do a bunch of stuff to it... had some powder defects on the frame that I wanted to get ride of... so tear it all done, rebuild it with TONS of new parts, chrome 80% of the polished parts, ect...

American IronHorse?

09-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Big Bear!! That's the one! *whew* what a relief, thanks alot.* ;D

You can buy theirs in various stages of completion or in boxes and built it on your own.

Overall I've heard pretty good things about BDM though. They seem to be on the ball as far as building a "custom" bike that's actually rideable.

Gas Man
09-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Yeah BBC is a decent bike.* But like BDM they have had their problems.* That is not a big deal, how they deal with the problem and stand behind the product is what is important.

B-Kinger
12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
I was building a bike around a Merch 142 motor, with a Paucho frame, Baker trans, etc. Had to sell the project, then actually finished it for a buddy some time later. Hated seeing it all just sit there, I wanted to at least see it live. Last I heard he still had it and rode it alot, but was getting way behind on that monster motor's upkeep, he was never one for maintenance. Shame. What a beast.

Mad Dog
12-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah... what do you want to see?* I got about 2,000 pics of mine in various states of build

Please just believe he has the pics. He really does and this forum dosen't have the bandwith to handle it. He will CRASH THIS FORUM FOR SURE! :eek:

Gas Man
12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Oh so true!!

Bagger Dave
12-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Oh so true!!

here is a pic with me at Gas Mans crib getting ready to help him with his scoot ....thats on the lift:D

oh and Alhall is on the other side of the scoot.....

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x59/davessleeve/my%20pics/Day6007.jpg

Gas Man
12-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh boy do I remember that night!!

Including the sister in laws water breaking!!!!

Bagger Dave
12-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh boy do I remember that night!!

Including the sister in laws water breaking!!!!

yep...we worked on your scoot all day til 3:30 am! was a good time and I learned alot about open primy's...lol

T Mack
12-19-2009, 01:45 AM
Wud up chop D

Bagger Dave
12-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Wud up chop D

what up T!!!