PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle deaths fell since helmet law took effect.

Hawgrider
10-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Since there is no news section I'll put it here.

Biker group claims motorcycle deaths fell since helmet law took effect (http://www.bikernews.net/index.cfm/d/news/p/read/newsid/38745)

BY: Tom Greenwood
Source: detroitnews.com (http://www.bikernews.net/linkouts/linkout.cfm?lurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edetroitnews%2E com%2Farticle%2F20121002%2FMETRO%2F210020405%2F140 9%2FMETRO%2FBiker%2Dgroup%2Dclaims%2Dmotorcycle%2D deaths%2Dfell%2Dsince%2Dhelmet%2Dlaw%2Dtook%2Deffe ct)

Michigan - Proponents of the law allowing motorcyclists to ride without helmets stated Tuesday that despite predictions to the contrary, motorcycle fatalities actually have dropped by 7 percent. American Bikers Aiming Toward Education (ABATE) said the drop was based on statistics obtained from the Michigan State Police and the Michigan Secretary of State.
"We at American Bikers Aiming Toward Education, or ABATE Michigan, are concerned with motorcycle safety, so we have been monitoring the effect of this helmet law modification to see what impact it has made, " said Vince Consiglio, President, for ABATE Michigan.
"We used the Michigan State Police/Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning data which compares motorcycle data between January 1 and August 31 for the last two years and the numbers speak for themselves."
On April 12, 2012, the requirement for motorcycle helmets was amended to allow adult choice for bikers 21 and older, providing they completed an accredited motorcycle-safety course or had a minimum of two years riding experience.
According to ABATE, from 2011 (pre-amendment) to 2012 (post amendment) motorcycle fatalities dropped from 89 to 85 in Michigan, a 4.5 percent reduction.
"If the fatality rate is adjusted to the total of motorcycle registrations it shows that the fatality rate has decreased from 0.034 percent to 0.031 percent since the helmet-law amendment - a seven percent reduction," said ABATE in a press release.
"This data proves conclusively that the helmet-law amendment had no adverse effect on motorcycle safety," Consiglio said.
"What does matter is car driver/motorcyclists awareness and motorcycle education, which we have advocated for and provided to residents of Michigan for more than two decades."
State and law enforcement officials could not immediately be reached for comment.
According to ABATE, the keys to motorcycle safety are education for both motorcycle and motor vehicle drivers.

RedneckMedic
10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm all about rider/driver education. I do a lot of driving for my job and really wish there was mandatory continuing education for drivers. Experience is not everything when it comes to driving. there is a lot of things people forget how to do or more often what they are supposed to do like; when turning left turn to the left lane and when turning right the right lane, or the one I see a lot (haha) what to do when an emergency vehicle is approaching. There are drivers ed classes that teach people to just stop when a vehicle with lights and sirens are approaching instead of pulling to the right. Some people out there that are 70 and 80 years old still driving who have never really had formal drivers training or haven't had it since they were 14 and I think that is wrong.

They want us to renew our drivers license only so they get more money and the hardest test that it provided is a simple vision test I mean you have got to be kidding me.

Gas Man
10-03-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm with rugby 200% as a professional driver and I have had tons driving education via work.

I'm not really sure about the stats... I will just sit back and see how things level out over more time.

RedneckMedic
10-03-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm not really sure about the stats... I will just sit back and see how things level out over more time.

Stats are always pulled to make you think a certain way the news does it everyday. There may have been less accidents per rider this year. The true stats is how many accidents were there and how many of those were fatal and what is the percent and compare that to previous yearS not just one year so we can see a trend.

Gas Man
10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Right exactly...

Mad Dog
10-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Last company I worked for spent tens of thousands of dollars on monthly driver training meetings and programs. I believe they had one of the best safety records in the industry.
Other companies do the same. Must be something to it or these otherwise cheap ass companies would never spend the $$$$$$$

junkyardjon
10-03-2012, 09:12 PM
i'm i the only one that could care less about what ABATE has to say? seems they always like to spin shit into what they what.

RedneckMedic
10-03-2012, 10:21 PM
i'm i the only one that could care less about what ABATE has to say? seems they always like to spin shit into what they what.

Ya but every person you have ever met is going to try and do that. I do like they fight for what most motorcyclists want and if their name doesn't give it away they are pro education. I don't really pay attention to their comments so much but do like what they strive for and no I'm not a member.

Kosher
10-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Nobody should expect (or care) that that deaths or debilitating injuries go up. Its about choice. Riders who chose to ride without a helmet will be injured and killed at greater rates, that only makes sense.

But it shouldn't matter, the choice should be ours.

Hawgrider
10-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Hey dont shoot the messenger. Geez few ABATE haters here. Why would you hate a org that fights for freedoms of Motorcyclist. Crazy!

Gas Man
10-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Not hating on them. I would really like to see them spend more effort on car education on bikes and be done with the helmet thing. They should consider that conquered and move along. Perhaps a couple nice PSA commercials....

Hawgrider
10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
They are done Helmet law passed. But now they are going to prove their point that just like with CPL in MI. It didnt turn into the wild west and not every biker who chooses freedom died a fiery death. Maybe you guys should attend a few ABATE meetings and see just what they do do.

Mudpuppy
10-04-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd like to see more whitty posts by you on fb there chrissy but you can wish in one hand and shit in the other - see which one fills up quicker

Gas Man
10-04-2012, 03:51 PM
They are done Helmet law passed. But now they are going to prove their point that just like with CPL in MI. It didnt turn into the wild west and not every biker who chooses freedom died a fiery death. Maybe you guys should attend a few ABATE meetings and see just what they do do.

Yeah but I am not good with organized junk like Hog chapters, and clubs.

Hawgrider
10-05-2012, 06:22 AM
I don't do clubs either. Abate is a rights org. Are you an AMA member? How bout NRA? None the less no biggie. Over and out.

Chain
10-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Not hating on them. I would really like to see them spend more effort on car education on bikes and be done with the helmet thing. They should consider that conquered and move along. Perhaps a couple nice PSA commercials....

Yeah, WELL? In today's "hater" society, where lies can become truths, and vise a versa, you kinda feel compelled to validate to your members and NON members that what your org fought for was all in the good....

Chain
10-05-2012, 07:19 AM

+1 :rockwoot:

Gas Man
10-05-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't do clubs either. Abate is a rights org. Are you an AMA member? How bout NRA? None the less no biggie. Over and out.

I hear ya... Just would like to hear a different tune now...

I am not a member. I wouldn't mind, but I'm also a cheap ass. If somebody wants to pay for this website maybe I'll use that money to buy membership. :lol:

Hawgrider
10-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Gotcha...... honest answer at least. So the moral of the story is your just a cheap ass......lol :wink:

junkyardjon
10-05-2012, 07:21 PM
so where is the story from them about how much money the no helmet law has brought into the state?
why don't they fight for splitting lanes and running red lights?

Gas Man
10-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Gotcha...... honest answer at least. So the moral of the story is your just a cheap ass......lol :wink:

Hey I prefer honesty over all else.

so where is the story from them about how much money the no helmet law has brought into the state?
why don't they fight for splitting lanes and running red lights?

I agree with the splitting lanes, even though I don't think Michigan drivers could handle it.

Running reds? Do you mean if the magnetic lights that don't switch?