PDA

View Full Version : tires

detdrbuzzard
01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
what tires are you using on your bike and would you get another set? i have dunlop e-3 tires on the wings. good wet or dry and i would get another set

Berto
01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
I LOVE Michelin Pilot Powers. They can play double duty, Track and street and hold like glue. Dunlop Qualifiers from what I hear are awesome also if you like a quick pace.

I used to buy Pirelly Diablos back in the day... those were great also. Stay away from Dunlop 208s... they are ok if you keep it to reasonable speeds and the roads are debri free and dry... they work great under GREAT conditions...

But the pilot powers for me, can't go wrong. If you want a long lasting tire. Michelin Pilot Roads will give you plenty of miles with good grip. I've seen 8-10K out of one rear with a guy that pushes his bikes pretty hard.

Bob
01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Not sure what's on the bikes now. When I replace the tires this spring on the Drifter I'll be looking to get Avons and in white wall. I had Avon tires on my Subaru and loved them so I want to try them on the bike.

B-Kinger
01-27-2009, 10:00 PM
My B-King has the stock Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers, and they have an annoying and dangerous trait that I'm trying to explore without dumping. Leaned over a ways and at decent throttle, the rear tire will suddenly give and lose traction. It's not a predictable amount of slip, where there is sort of a warning or window where the tire spins but you can still hold your line, its abrupt, and the rear end slides way out and scares the hell out of me. It's like I hit an ice patch. I was wondering if the tires needed to be hotter, so I'd really get em hot and then try, with the same results. Maybe they need to be BLISTERING hot, I dunno. I have the suspension set up real well for my weight and riding style, so I'm pretty sure It's not that. There's even a youtube video with a guy on a B-King at the track, and his bike slips out too and he crashes! I'd love to talk to that guy. When I had my Kawasaki ZZR1200, the last 2 sets of tires I had on were Pirelli Diablos and then the Diablo Stradas, which were both phenomenal tires. The Diablos were quite sticky but wore out rather quick if you ride hard (5000 miles and done) but the Diablo Stradas lasted well over 8000 miles and were almost as sticky if you warmed up well, even after all those miles. What impressed me most with the Stradas was that they were predictable, with some gradual give and no surprises, and the ZZR was a big heavy bike. I was hoping that I could work with the stock Dunlops as I don't have money to burn, but compared to the Pirellis, these stock Dunlops are too slippery, making me somewhat timid in the same turns I once tore up. Come spring, I'm buying more Pirellis.

snofrog
01-27-2009, 10:21 PM
my last tires were pilot roads and gave up the ghost at just over 11,000 miles. my current are pilot road 2`s and I love them so far quite grippy, and wear like iron .

B-Kinger
01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
By the way, sorry for my often long winded posts, just trying to offer the most complete knowledge I have in the hopes that it may help someone. I could have just posted, "stock Dunlops- hard, Pirelli Diablo Stradas-soft." Ha ha.

detdrbuzzard
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
the more info the better b-kinger. i had some dunlop k700 that were alot like those sportmax tires

Thruxtonbill
01-28-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm going to agree with snofrog on the PR2s, I hated the dunlop Qs , although some swear by them.
The PR2s are the perfect tire for my kind of riding and lets face it, here in Mi we tend to square off our tires quickly, so the dual compound makes sense IMHO.
Having said that, my next tire change I will go with Powers up front and stick with the PR2s in the rear.

meinschaft
01-29-2009, 06:26 AM
I replaced the OEM Bridgestone Battlax on my Triumph with Avon Storm STs. Big difference. I liked the Avons a lot: not as hard or slippery, gave me a lot more confidence. I put 4,000 miles on them when I sold the bike and couldn't really see any appreciable wear, suggesting they were good for 8,000 miles. I'd definitely recommend the Avons.

Another thing to consider is Avon's Warranty and FREE replacement. I got a flat in the rear a few months after I bought them; Avon sent me a new tire for FREE. Not bad.

B-Kinger
01-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Dang, I'm gonna have to check out the Avons too! I know their makeup is good, but who'd have thought they'd make great tires? I hope the Avon lady has room in her trunk for a set if I order some. ;D