PDA

View Full Version : BIL down!

Moesride
08-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Bought his bike last winter went down around 5 today. 7480 miles on her. We pulled out of my drive and I happened to be about 10 secs or so behind him. He turned his head behind him to see where I was, when he turned his head back around a car was pulling off a drive into his path. He panicked and hit his front brakes hard! Only his front brakes! Not the girls falt, he had plenty of room for a controlled stop. I went and measured the skid mark afterwards and it was 23ft long. He claims the front brake locked up but he has ABS on his street bob. IDK?

He's OK......we were doing around 35 or so. His left hand hit palm first and the leather and gel tore off his glove. His left thigh and calf bruised up and his Knee is bigtime swollen. Nothing broken! Lucked up!!

Bikes gotta go in the shop though. Called my buddy at Dick Scotts and he's gonna take care of the insurance work......Basically the whole left side was hit including bent up handlebars.

My gut dropped as I was watching him hit the ground. Almost like slow motion.......DAMN!!! Lucked up!

Bagger Dave
08-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Sorry to hear that Moe! glad he is ok....it could have been worse....
yep, when he gets back on the road...have him practice using both front and rear brakes at the same time...
hope he has a speedy recovery

leebo
08-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Wow hard to read!

Kosher
08-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Hope your BIL heals well and fast, sorry to hear but glad he's ok

RedneckMedic
08-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Sorry to hear that glad he is ok at least the bike can be fixed. I definitely learned from the time I went down.

Nobody
08-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Good to hear he's relativly decent shape.

Mad Dog
08-20-2012, 06:58 AM
That sucks Moe. Hope everything works out for him.

Thruxtonbill
08-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Glad he's ok. I know what you mean about the slow motion thing.

Mudpuppy
08-20-2012, 11:45 AM
skidding using front brake? that is about 1,500% too much brake. if he had hit the back he would have low sided right into the car anyways. quick downshift and hard on the front brakes but not from 0-100% in 1/1,000th of a second would have done it. Rider's education - clear example why this is so important. Get out there and learn how to ride, then learn some more. Do track days - talk to the experts, read their books.

glad to hear he is ok. bikes are just pieces parts and can be fixed.

Gas Man
08-20-2012, 04:16 PM
That sucks man. Hate to hear it. But it don't sound like he ended up too bad. It's a tough lesson but not one he will forget.

If the dealer can't do it fast, we could always roll it onto my lift and do it up real quick. Get the estimate from a dealer, then tell the insurance company you want to do the repairs yourself. They will pay you the full estimate, including the labor. Just an idea...

Moesride
08-27-2012, 10:56 PM
So the insurance company went to appraise the damage on the bike right.............long story short , he got way more money than damages! The mechanic at the shop told us that the ins. adjuster knew nothing about bikes......why? There's a ton off shit that were way over appraised but this one is the best......a 30 dollar damaged tool bag he had mounted on his left strut the adjuster called it saddlebags....$450.00!! He has his damages covered plus deductible plus enough money to have other parts that were not damaged powder coated by Jeffs powdercoating that he was planning on doing over the winter anyway. He's one happy crash dummy for sure!

Gas Man
08-27-2012, 11:28 PM
That's great Moe. I was just talking about his powder with Jeff. Hit me on my cell, I'd like to tag along with ya to Jeff's.

Mudpuppy
08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
seems like a common thread - insurance pays more than the damages. it just occurred to me that is probably why insurance rates are so high.

RedneckMedic
08-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Ya my buddies bike fell off the stand one time and really only caused about 200 bucks worth of damage. Small shit like a bent mirror and broken turn sigs. The insurance totaled the bike (it was an older vulcan). So he got a pay out of about 3500 and then bought the bike back for 500. In all he made about 2800 bucks off the deal and was only out from riding about a week.

Glad to here things worked out for him moe. Now just get him on here to tell us about it.

DK Custom
08-30-2012, 01:21 AM
Glad BIL is relatively ok.

I've had a few claims on bikes over the years. Never had an insurance company overpay. Glad it worked out for you.