PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Trip Checklist

Gas Man
08-17-2012, 11:38 PM
After a few years of doing long distance trips I want to comprise a check list. These are items that I know I check and I know others don't.

Many of this was taught to me in the multiple MSF classes I have taken. They call it

T-CLOCS

(http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?pagename=RiderCourse%20Interactive%2 0Tour&content=4203CE24-A0CC-53D5-644D54A8CEC335AA&referer=Motorcycle%20Basics)I jotted down some of my own, from personal expierence. These should be done DAYS in advance. So you have time to fix anything you might find that is wrong. I also like to give it a good wash. Washing for me has always been a easy way to touch a bunch of stuff. I have found TONS of stuff, over the years, wrong or loose with my bike during a wash.

Here's a small start to the list...

oil is good and can take the miles
Good tire tread
Tire psi
A good nut n bolt check
Good brake pads
Clutch in good adjustment
Battery and charging system in good functioning condition Lighting check Carb jetted properly Spark plugs not fouled out

But I would like to add, that sometimes it's about what you don't do, just as much.

Don't make mods to your bike that you haven't shaken down that could jeopardize your bike's running condition.

What ya think? Got things to add?

Bagger Dave
08-18-2012, 09:42 AM
yep that's a good list! :dthumb:

I also check underneath the bike and fuel lines...making sure nothing is leaking....
check handlebars

detdrbuzzard
08-18-2012, 04:49 PM
checking tires brakes, oil, coolant ( on liquid cooled bikes ), and clutch. brake and clutch fluid ( if you have a hyd clutch ). make sure all lights are working. stop and fuel up before leaving. make sure you are rested before your long haul

Gas Man
08-19-2012, 09:54 AM
For sure on all of that. Rested is something that many take for granted.

Brukus
08-19-2012, 07:25 PM
I think I"ll use this list on Real Women and Motorcycles. Asking permission...

Mudpuppy
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
review the route ahead of time

Gas Man
08-20-2012, 04:13 PM
I think I"ll use this list on Real Women and Motorcycles. Asking permission...

By all means. I created it.

Just give the forum link credit. That's all I ask. If you would please.