PDA

View Full Version : Compare Tail of the Dragon with M119?

Kosher
07-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Tail is 381 curves in 11 miles. Dont know how many curves are in M119, but its 17 miles.

I'm guessing that the Tail is more challenging than M119. Any insight from those that have done both?

I will find out on Monday, tho!

Thruxtonbill
07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Absolutley zero comparison Kosh. To me the tunnel is not only boring but that no lane sand covered road is quite dangerous. Yes the Dragon is more technical the curves can be off camber and more severe with you resulting in sliding off the edge down into the trees where you may not be seen, not to mention inexperianced riders crossing the center lane happens alot, not trying to scare you, just sayin. Most of the get offs at the dragon, and there are many, averaging two life flights a week and numerous ambulance calls are people from Fla and Michigan.

Having said all that, have fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDS4FfzXRzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF90bLHYIX8

Kosher
07-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Great. Well, I'm planning to ride my ride, I dont care who passes or honks. Good news is that I will be doing it on Monday morning, so I'm counting on the fact that the crazies are largely present on the weekend.

I'm probably going to piss some people off, but I wont be dead.

Thruxtonbill
07-13-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm planning to ride my ride, I wont be dead.

Now these may be the smartest words EVER typed on 2wheel, good on ya.

A Monday ride should be perfect, go early if you can. Back in 07 I went down on my FZ1, not a supersport but a damn fast bike, I was carving up the corners pretty good, I thought, until I caught two R6s in my rears, passed me like I was grandpa on a goldwing:lmao:.

Kosher
07-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Now these may be the smartest words EVER typed on 2wheel, good on ya.

A Monday ride should be perfect, go early if you can. Back in 07 I went down on my FZ1, not a supersport but a damn fast bike, I was carving up the corners pretty good, I thought, until I caught two R6s in my rears, passed me like I was grandpa on a goldwing:lmao:.

Thanks - I'm staying in Alcoa, TN Sunday night, and I'll get at it in the morning. I do want to get some snaps from the road side photo companies and I dont think they set up until 9am, tho.

Gas Man
07-13-2012, 06:18 PM
I agree. 119 is nothing compared to have the roads by the dragon and including the dragon.

ChefC14
07-15-2012, 11:54 AM
119 doesn't compare. Please don't be the average Michigander, don't be afraid to use the pull offs. They paved them and I believe there is like 100 of them. You'll find out when you come up on someone driving slower than you want to that they'll pull off for you. People are USUALLY really polite down there. I had many many people pull off to let me by and I would have done the same if someone came up behind me. The attitude of "I'm doing the speed limit and if you don't like it go to hell" seems to be a Michigan/Ohio thing, at least that's what it seems like from my experience. Represent our state well my friend and have a great time. We all go down there to have a good time, it's just that everyone has a different idea of what a good time is.

Gas Man
07-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Great Post Chef!! Well said!!!

ChefC14
07-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks Chris.

Kosher
07-15-2012, 09:28 PM
119 doesn't compare. Please don't be the average Michigander, don't be afraid to use the pull offs. They paved them and I believe there is like 100 of them. You'll find out when you come up on someone driving slower than you want to that they'll pull off for you. People are USUALLY really polite down there. I had many many people pull off to let me by and I would have done the same if someone came up behind me. The attitude of "I'm doing the speed limit and if you don't like it go to hell" seems to be a Michigan/Ohio thing, at least that's what it seems like from my experience. Represent our state well my friend and have a great time. We all go down there to have a good time, it's just that everyone has a different idea of what a good time is.

I will definitely use the pull offs, and I have zero attitude. I just did 587 miles from Bloomfield Hills to Alcoa, TN and I'm pretty tired (now, but will rest up tonight for sure).

I want to enjoy myself and not impede the enjoyment of others, trust me.

The one thing that saddens me is that I want to get pics of my ride from Killboy.com and/or 129slayer.com but I will be loaded down with bags, and the bike is filthy (had to ride through a fair amount of rain in the 2nd half of the day).

Oh well - I'll try to clean her up in the morning, but she's a mess. Hard to tell from the crappy cell phone pic.

Gas Man
07-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Definately spend your money with killboy. Daryl is a great guy and I always try to support him. Everytime I go down there I usually chill with him for a couple hours.

ChefC14
07-16-2012, 04:24 AM
Just buy some goofy stuffed animal and put it on your bike, maybe Killboy will front page y\ou. Ask the hotel people if they keep their old towels, sometimes they keep them for bikers to clean their bikes up with.

Mudpuppy
07-16-2012, 10:38 AM
At Deal's Gap resort they give you towels to use to clean your bike and have oil changing stations.

Where is M119? I might have to check it out. Got some new roads on the list:

1. Jellystone Park - I guess it is pretty sweet
2. US421 - the snake - rode shotgun in a car now need to take my bike there (September I will)
3. That route posted in the other thread for Copper Harbor - 41 or something?
4. Hocking Hills
5. West Virginia - I guess there are amazing roads there
6. An undisclosed location up north in Michigan - just need to get up there

Thruxtonbill
07-16-2012, 11:29 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Hocking Hills area is this half of the countrys best kept secret.

ChefC14
07-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Well Mudpuppy, the next time you come to Northern Michigan let me know. If it's on a weekend I can show you some nice roads. I can zig zag you accross the areas between I-75 and Lake Michigan. I'm 20 miles from the Tunnel of Trees. I really don't like the tunnel much, I like the 65 mile an hour sweepers better. The tunnel quite often has sand patches that have sent many people to Northern Mi Hospital and no one is interested in cleaning it. The people that live down there hate the cycle traffic and are more than happy to drag the gravel out of their driveway in the hopes of slowing people down. The tunnel is good if you want to take it slow and eat Polish food when you reach Cross Village.

Mudpuppy
07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Sweet Chef - will let you know. Trying hard to get up north this summer just running out of available time - camping this weekend at Silver Lake with the family, track day sometime in August, motogp at Indy in August and I have to fit in a weekend on the east side of up north so I will be opposite you - which is where my up north trek is going to go. I need to get to Alpena, Rogers City and Onaway at some point. But would definitely be interested in seeing the tunnel at least once and then whatever other roads you might know. Might be a September color run or something though.

Kosher
07-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Guys, just rode the Tail today, and Cherohala Skyway - FANTASTIC. I got there about 930, it was cool, sunny gorgeous and EMPTY. Zero traffic.

I rode my ride, learned a lot, and I got way better as the day progressed. Amazing riding, and much more challenging than M119. But I do agree, no sand or gravel, so in some ways probably safer.

Frankly I think all this death talk on the Dragon is a lot of hype. Yes, if you ride like an idiot, you might get hurt or killed. Just dont ride like an idiot.

Thruxtonbill
07-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Let me guess, you like the Cherrycola better then the Dragon?, most people do. As to your point about it being a over hyped, people do crash, some die and yes there will always be idiots.
Glad you're having fun, thanks for keeping us posted and how bout some pics?

Mudpuppy
07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Just look at the tree of shame.. plenty of crashing going on there.. a wrong move or bad decision will lead you right to that tree or over the edge (and eventually a memorial picture of you on the tree).. still no idea where M119 is? Please tell me general location so I can map it..

Thruxtonbill
07-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Gas Man
07-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Hocking Hills area is this half of the countrys best kept secret.

You interested in heading up a trip? Let's see if you & me can nail down a date if you are. PM me and we can setup a thread.

Thruxtonbill
07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Going down this weekend. Stopping by Mid-Ohio for http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Libraries/Riding_Documents/12VMD_EventHandout_Letter.sflb.ashx
on the way, the GREAT riding starts southeast of there. Come on.

Gas Man
07-16-2012, 09:41 PM
We are going to the dirt track racing on Friday.

But I was referring to a different weekend.

Kosher
07-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Here's a pic on an overlook before the tail, then a pick from 129slayer

http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Motorcycle/Rides-And-Trips/Tail-of-the-Dragon-July162012/i-8qj6cd5/0/X3/169662101511252710231856513232-X3.jpg

http://store.129slayer.com/large_thumbs/thumb_1342479421C0000214.JPG

ChefC14
07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Sweet Chef - will let you know. Trying hard to get up north this summer just running out of available time - camping this weekend at Silver Lake with the family, track day sometime in August, motogp at Indy in August and I have to fit in a weekend on the east side of up north so I will be opposite you - which is where my up north trek is going to go. I need to get to Alpena, Rogers City and Onaway at some point. But would definitely be interested in seeing the tunnel at least once and then whatever other roads you might know. Might be a September color run or something though.
Let me know when you're on the left side of the state, I'm not real familiar with it but 23 is awesome and rarely heavily populated. It's only 90 miles from my house to Alpena. I can be to Onaway in 45 minutes. I like the ride from Onaway to Atlanta and then taking 32 over to Gaylord from there. 32 is one of my favorite roads.

Gas Man
07-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Great pics!!!

Kosher
07-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Here's a better pic from Killboy:

http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Motorcycle/Rides-And-Trips/Tail-of-the-Dragon-July162012/i-SMd8zbz/0/X3/203079-X3.jpg

Gas Man
07-19-2012, 11:18 PM
SIICK pic man!!

RedneckMedic
07-20-2012, 01:33 AM
nice pics looks like a great time man!! My supervisor at work just took a 7500 mile ride to washington state via colorado. was totally jealous of him plus he took his young daughter. reminded me of the one ride report I read about the guy and his son riding the "Cack" across the country.

alhall88
07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Another nice place to try is what I call the poor mans dragon is Hocking Hills Ohio, had a blast there for 3 days plenty of tight curves and hills. Only a 4 hour ride just south of Columbus.

Gas Man
07-20-2012, 10:16 AM
I thinks that's what bill has been talkin about in a different thread.

Good to see you back online al.

Kosher
07-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Here are all my pics from the Dragon - too bad it was a quick trip, I didnt get time to snap very many pics:

http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Motorcycle/Rides-And-Trips/Tail-of-the-Dragon-July162012/24223368_ZjWhD7#!i=1975559869&k=SMd8zbz

Gas Man
07-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Sweet pics... killboy?

Kosher
07-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Sweet pics... killboy?

Yep, Killboy

Gas Man
07-24-2012, 12:39 AM
he does great work!!

Gas Man
07-24-2012, 05:52 PM
A few things I had to buy before the trip. Not the normal for any of my past bike camping trips...
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/CopperHarbor2012/IMG_1278.jpg