PDA

View Full Version : Because stopping sucks..

Nobody
06-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Well, my current running plan is to pop out to Rushmore and Devil's Tower mid next month and a few minor spots + some stops at relatives for a round trip of around 3300 miles. And taking the advice of a friend that flies planes "You never have too much fuel unless you're on fire.." I decided I really don't want to stop every hour or two for more petrol. So I grabbed a 4.2gal paugcho sporty tank, looked at it, decided it wasn't enough, and decided to chop and graft on part of a regular sporty tank.

The shape works well for my long term plans for my sporty which will be another thread when I find my bleeding sketch book.

The beast is now 5.3ish gallons... more pics to follow this week as I seal it, sand it and get it all dolled up.

junkyardjon
06-23-2012, 11:12 PM
i can't wait to see it on the bike. for some reason i like big ass tank's.

Gas Man
06-24-2012, 10:14 PM
WOW Dustin... go you!!!

RedneckMedic
06-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Ya with that much fuel on the sporty you should be able to ride for quite a while with out stopping

Mudpuppy
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
great idea.. more fuel is definitely a good thing on a long trip..

Moesride
07-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Looking forward to seeing it finished....

Nobody
07-04-2012, 01:28 AM
It puts the lotion on the skin..

reprimed after redoing some filler that popped during the etching prep for the liner
layed down several coats of rattle black, but the phone ate the pick
those 2 nubs are screw posts for a stash tube, which I found a sweet water tight snap-latched cell phone box at Walley World on the way home that'll end up mounted there. Another day of uninterrupted peace and quiet and it'll be done. It's a smidge ugly up close, but I'm not planing on making it show quality this season.

Gas Man
07-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Keep it up man.

FeTT-X
07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Holy crap... This is a great idea, and very cool that you have the know-how to DIY. Very nice!

Nobody
07-08-2012, 02:22 AM

sprayed'n'prayed

pretty sure the humidity fucked the lower coats since there was mild peel up around the cap area when the tape was pulled up. Oh well, just has to last to the end of the season then it'll be stripped and redone bondo to paint. Just waiting on a choke relocation bracket and to finish another mod/project before I toss it on.

Gas Man
07-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Great work.

Nobody
07-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Before

Here is where I sort of goofed up. Instead of gut popping it all together, I got the itch to top rail the wiring.. Simple project right?

Para cord is great shit for test fitting. The idea was inspired by this article (http://blog.makezine.com/2009/07/28/lost-knowledge-cable-lacing/) I saw years ago

three beers, several hours, a rat nest of sheathing cut later.

98% when I get up later she just needs some minor e-tape and zip-tie everything (might also have to replumb my speedo wires to ease my mind a smidge). I really need to remember the part about simple things always take longer than expected, and to just slap it together and putz with it more after the road trip (in theory running down to ILL early sunday for a few days)

I was thinking of renaming Zippy "Long Runner" with the big tank/gear swap, though Fugly Duckling is a close 2nd

Nobody
07-14-2012, 09:52 PM

Road worthy. She's fugly, but she works.
ended up burning up most of the day screwing with handle bars, finally torching and pounding some 80's era wide glide bars to accommodate the wires at the controls. And my choke relocation bracket showed up in the mail this after noon, but I'm going to wait until I get back from ILL before putting that on..

Mudpuppy
07-16-2012, 10:28 AM
have you test rode it yet? that tank doesn't get in your way?

RedneckMedic
07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
I thought you were widening and stretching the tank. That kinda looks like the bike thinks its a camel by adding a hump, I would personally throw the old tank back on and deal with a couple extra stops. Good on ya for the DIY but I guess to each there own.

Nobody
07-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Just came back from a run to ILL. 800miles round trip test run went well. I can fill on the edge of Canton, and make it to Michigan City before hitting res. The tank doesn't get in the way as much as it looks like it would.

This was mostly an experiment/idea test. Im doing up plans for a 2nd tank when funds allow that blends a bit better and holds a smidge more petrol (next tank I might see about powder coating or something since the Rustoleum impersonated the Wicked Witch of the West when petrol got on it). The stock tank's going back on after I'm done doing long trips for the season.