PDA

View Full Version : Poor(ish) man's CanAm Spyder

Nobody
05-24-2012, 10:28 PM
swipped from The Knee Slider (http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2012/05/24/warm-weather-options-for-your-hibernating-snowmobile/)

"
Last winter was pretty mild and those of us used to seeing many feet of the white stuff were looking at bare roads, not a bad thing, in my mind, but if you have a snowmobile, you start to wonder if there's any use for it when the temperature rises. Some owners get into drag racing on grass and others, who care less for their sleds, run them across short stretches of open water, hoping to carry enough speed to keep their sled above the water line, but there have been quite a few folks who have either converted the sled itself or used the engine for another vehicle altogether, and some of those alternatives are pretty slick.

"I started thinking about this when I got a note from Mike C., the other day, bringing my attention to a company called Street Legal Sleds (http://www.streetlegalsleds.com/). They've come up with a conversion kit that replaces the skis with wheels and replaces the track with a swingarm, turning the snowmobile into something resembling a Can Am Spyder.

While the idea of adding wheels to a sled isn't new, I'm not sure how many, if any, other attempts, actually saw the light of day. This one looks like it works OK, but from the dates on the web site, it doesn't appear they've been doing much for the past couple of years. Are they still in business? The kit is listed at $8499 and includes everything you need, though whether that price on top of the sled is cost effective will depend on your own situation. Pretty neat."

Gas Man
05-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Interesting... I love seeing the snow sleds on water.

Mudpuppy
05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
where's the pictures?

Gas Man
05-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Good call mud.

Nobody
05-25-2012, 10:55 PM
They show up in the edit box.. but not on posting.. I'll try tacking them in directly

junkyardjon
05-27-2012, 10:36 PM
seen a few over the last couple years running around