PDA

View Full Version : Accident Data - Helmets vs. No Helmets

meinschaft
05-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Very limited data but still interesting:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/michigan_motorcyclists_mostly.html#incart_river_de fault

Kosher
05-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Well, of course helmetless riders will be injured at a higher rate. Should anyone be surprised? Whats their point?

People who dont ride motorcycles at all were injured in motorcycle accidents at a much lower rate than those that ride motorcycles.

I think we should outlaw motorcycles.

Moesride
05-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Hit it dead on Kosher......there is no point, it's common sense. Hit your head on the concrete..BAD. Hit your head on the concrete with a helmet..NOT AS BAD! :screwy:

Gas Man
05-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Echo what you boys said.

I think the helmet less riding will be a novelty for most. The some of the old timers will never wear a helmet again.

Hawgrider
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Echo what you boys said.

I think the helmet less riding will be a novelty for most. The some of the old timers will never wear a helmet again.Respectfully disagree. Ohio has been lid free for years. Every time I hit the border many are still lid free. Some ride with lids that's the beauty of choice. Agree with the second sentence. I haven't had a lid on since Friday the 13th When tricky Rick signed the bill. It has been quite liberating to exercise some small form of freedom in this state.

Thruxtonbill
05-16-2012, 10:02 AM
This just in.................Farts stink.

Kosher
05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
I think we aught to have a helmet law for automobiles. Especially convertables. Does anyone deny that it would save lives?

Hawgrider
05-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I think we aught to have a helmet law for automobiles. Especially convertables. Does anyone deny that it would save lives?
Loud pipes and lids for topless women save lives......... I mean topless cages:boobs:

Nobody
05-16-2012, 11:10 PM
very limited is an understatement (though if we want to use those numbers, looks like Lids are 10X more likely to have an accident..) 1st year or 2 will have an up tick as people get used to lidless, number will normalize about 3rd or 4th year if someone doesn't get their panties in a bunch and start screaming to bring back lids.

Gas Man
05-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Respectfully disagree. Ohio has been lid free for years. Every time I hit the border many are still lid free. Some ride with lids that's the beauty of choice. Agree with the second sentence. I haven't had a lid on since Friday the 13th When tricky Rick signed the bill. It has been quite liberating to exercise some small form of freedom in this state.

You dont think there are many that are going helmet less that won't keep doing it long term?

Hawgrider
05-17-2012, 07:36 AM
You dont think there are many that are going helmet less that won't keep doing it long term?Huh? Either Im tired this morn or ?
you said-"I think the helmet less riding will be a novelty for most." I say its not a novelty. And you will see lid free riders in this state for years to come. We have been waiting since 1967 for lid free riding.

When you say novelty..... to me that means a fad that will wear off.

Gas Man
05-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah I think there are the die hards like yourself that will burn your old helmets and get tickets in other helmet states cause you simply don't even own one. :lol:

Then there are some that will try it and decide for some reason to go back to their helmets.

Hawgrider
05-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Yeah I think there are the die hards like yourself that will burn your old helmets and get tickets in other helmet states cause you simply don't even own one. :lol:

Then there are some that will try it and decide for some reason to go back to their helmets. Yeah mine is getting kinda fouled inside it might just be time to burn it . LOL

Nobody
05-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Yeah mine is getting kinda fouled inside it might just be time to burn it . LOL

Forgot to wash it out after using it to eat a bowl of chilli again?

Gas Man
05-18-2012, 02:34 AM
:rofl:

GP-FLHR
05-18-2012, 10:54 PM
I have drove 3 times so far with out my helmet and I love the feeling. I'm going on a day ride Tomorrow no helmet. Hope I live to post again.

junkyardjon
05-19-2012, 11:12 AM
i always find it funny when people say the helmet will kill you because when you wear one, the brain bounce's off the skull and that's what kill's you.
i never knew pavement soften's the blow to the head....

i had a little mis-hap last weekend being stupid on wet pavement, good thing i had on my leathers and helmet cause i'd be in real bad shape right now. my helmet has a nice gouge 3/4 the way around and the leathers have some nice street cred added to them LOL. i still got road rash under the leathers but it was real minor.

Kosher
05-19-2012, 11:49 AM
i always find it funny when people say the helmet will kill you because when you wear one, the brain bounce's off the skull and that's what kill's you.
i never knew pavement soften's the blow to the head....

i had a little mis-hap last weekend being stupid on wet pavement, good thing i had on my leathers and helmet cause i'd be in real bad shape right now. my helmet has a nice gouge 3/4 the way around and the leathers have some nice street cred added to them LOL. i still got road rash under the leathers but it was real minor.

Never heard anyone say that, but deaths from brain injuries are not well understood by most people. Among the most common reasons for death from head trauma is deceleration, not destruction of your skull. Helmets cushion the deceleration.

But they can only do so much, above a certain speed (I'd say 30 mph or so), if your head bangs on the ground, helmet or not you're going to be in big trouble. Look at how big the concussion problem is in the NFL, and they arent going very fast.

I love it when cops or even doctors say "he would have lived if he had a helmet on." Really? You can know that?

I personally believe a mandatory ABS law would save way more lives than all the helmet laws combined.

Gas Man
05-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Again... not trying to make more laws... but I gotta agree, the ABS is amazing on the bikes. I'll never own another big bike without it. But I choose that so it's a win win.

I do remember seeing something that the feds NHTSA is trying to make ABS manadotory.

junkyardjon
05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
rolling burn out with a car tire on my bike, brake's had nothing to do with it.

ABS... i built all my bikes and ABS will never make it on there and i only build bike's from the 70's for my daily riders.

Hawgrider
05-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Forgot to wash it out after using it to eat a bowl of chilli again?

So thats what a full face helmet is for! No kidding beats the hell out of eating chill off a flimsy paper plate.