PDA

View Full Version : Sturgis 2012

Kosher
04-17-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm going - who else?

I want to make it there from the Detroit area in two days, which means two 600 mile days.

I've done 450 on my Heritage not a big deal, so I think 600 is not unreasonable now that I have cruse control.

Chain
04-17-2012, 10:07 AM
We're leaving from Ionia area Friday the 3rd of August riding to Sioux Falls that day (850 miles), and the last 370 the second morning. Done that a few times, and it's not to bad, get good and rested after the first day. And your good to go. Your plan is great. This is just how our group has done it the last few trips. A buddy of ours used to ride straight thru every year, we called him Iron ass, cause he did it on a 1200 Sportster! He now has a SG, and we've talked him out of it the last few years. I have rode straight thru one time, and I was soooo delusional it was ridiculously dangerous.

Where are you staying?

Good luck and stay safe!

Kosher
04-17-2012, 10:32 AM
We're leaving from Ionia area Friday the 3rd of August riding to Sioux Falls that day (850 miles), and the last 370 the second morning. Done that a few times, and it's not to bad, get good and rested after the first day. And your good to go. Your plan is great. This is just how our group has done it the last few trips. A buddy of ours used to ride straight thru every year, we called him Iron ass, cause he did it on a 1200 Sportster! He now has a SG, and we've talked him out of it the last few years. I have rode straight thru one time, and I was soooo delusional it was ridiculously dangerous.

Where are you staying?

Good luck and stay safe!

I'm riding with a friend from work, he stays with a friend who has a farm about 20 miles out, they all camp.

So I'll be shipping a tent, a cot, a camping mattress, a sleeping bag, and a pillow. Could be a bit expensive from a shipping perspective, but still way less expensive than $150-200/night.

There is a chance that my neighbor and his wealthy friend will trailer their bikes behind a mobile home, in which case I'd try to stay with them (but no way am I trailering)

Chain
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Cool! Were camping at the Chip... Me and 6 of my bro's. We'll be loaded up. Takeing all we need.

Gas Man
04-17-2012, 09:41 PM
I do want to go out there... but this backyard project may keep me from that expensive of a MC trip.

Chain
04-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah, it can get expensive. When I take wife, it's expensive! But solo, it's around $1200. That's gas, beer money, a few clams for diner, and oh yeah, Beer.... ;) oh, almost forgot, beer....

Gas Man
04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah that's not bad... but I'm spending $13k in the backyard... vinyl fence, sprinklers, dirt, sod....

Chain
04-20-2012, 10:30 AM
OMG!!!!! Don't you know, this is the last year we'll be alive?!?!? And your dropping that kinda cabbage into the back yard... wow!!!!! ;)

Lrider
04-20-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm headed out that way riding solo but not sure when, have been there during the rally & also the week before. The week before was nice because it wasn't so dam busy, could get thru town easy, could walk right in the little cafe's on main street. But during the rally was also a blast because of all the craziness, and also on the way, there was something about blasting across SD with hundreds of other bikes that was a lot of fun!! Will probably stay at Lamphere CG again, nice place $20 a nite, within walking distance of the Full Throttle that way when you head back to your CG you won't possibly have to deal with all the cops. So whenever you go have fun and be careful!!

Chain
04-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Hell yeah, Lrider! When we get done with our daily rides (we don't f around, we ride, at least 300 a day, after getting settled in minimum) We retreat back to our CG, and if we want to go up town, which with all the concerts at the Buffalo Chip, usually is only 2 nights, we take "Da Bus"... cheap and easy!

Where at in GR do you hang? I work in GR... down on Plymouth, N of Michigan, and S of Leonard.

Lrider
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Chaingunner you've got quite the commute every day, hope you're able to take the bike once and a while. I grew up on the SE side of GR, but been in Walker, NW of GR for 35 yrs. You're not kidding about not messin around, with the 300 mi a day, you must know you're way around there pretty good! I've done some riding in the area,Spearfish, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower on my way out thru Wyoming, beautiful country!! Be careful out there.

Chain
04-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, this is only my 4th time, but one of the guys we go with has been goin for 20 years. So he know's his way. I just follow. But we make it out into other states too. N Dakota, Wyoming, Montana...

I am fortunate to car pool with my wife, and yes, sometimes we take one of the skooter, and hit Blues on the Mall on Wednesdays!

Lrider
04-20-2012, 04:10 PM
What do you guys do up in ND? Bird hunt there every year in october, sometimes again in Jan. Big open country, And I like their speed limits.

Chain
04-20-2012, 04:29 PM
ND, just to make a ride. See new country.... That's it. :)

Gas Man
04-20-2012, 05:45 PM
OMG!!!!! Don't you know, this is the last year we'll be alive?!?!? And your dropping that kinda cabbage into the back yard... wow!!!!! ;)

I know I know... but if you seen the backyard you would understand... it's damn embarrassing... this has been a 2 going on 3 year project!!!!