PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking the Ride Like A Pro class on 4/21 in Southfield

Kosher
04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
http://www.ridelikeapro-gl.com/

A (http://www.ridelikeapro-gl.com/)nyone care to join me? Its $150 from 9-1, they still have a couple slots, apparently.

Gas Man
04-16-2012, 11:48 PM
I've always thought about doing this but never want to take my bike through it.

Bagger Dave
04-17-2012, 12:08 AM
I have the dvd...good stuff there

Remo
04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Not to thread-jack but another good class to consider is the MSF Advanced Rider Course, it's an all day class designed for the experienced, endorsed rider, and it's only $25.00 (very reasonable price IMO) I took it last year and found it to be a very useful and well structured class. The day is split in half, the first half is spent in class discussing a variety of topics and scenarios, watching videos etc..., the later half of the day is out on the range applying what you learned/discussed in class. Good group of people, I was one of 3 sportbikes (one being the instructor) on the range that day, the rest were all on heavy weight cruisers (full dressers and whatnot).

More info on the ARC here: http://www.schoolcraft.edu/cepd/motorcycle/

F (http://www.schoolcraft.edu/cepd/motorcycle/)AQ's here: http://www.schoolcraft.edu/pdfs/cepd/motorcycle-safety-arc-faq.pdf

Caveman
04-19-2012, 06:08 AM
I also took the ARC at MCCC. It was a good class even if it did rain us out at the end.

Kosher
04-19-2012, 06:21 AM
I also took the ARC at MCCC. It was a good class even if it did rain us out at the end.

No rain outs for the RLAP class, rain or shine. Was looking dicey there for a while, but now looking like it will be chilly (especially in the morning), but dry.

I'm sure I'm paying a price for snobbery here, but for some reason I've always been skeptical of the community college motorcycle classes, I would hope at least this RLAP approach will have a smaller student/instructor ratio.

Moesride
04-19-2012, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't call it snobbery Kosher....rather a better ( personal) ARC. Good call on your part!

Gas Man
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm with ya Kosher... after my last expierence with MSF I don't like them so much anymore... heck, I'd be able to say I liked em again if they would just get some new bikes.

vlmuke
04-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm with ya Kosher... after my last expierence with MSF I don't like them so much anymore... heck, I'd be able to say I liked em again if they would just get some new bikes.
Yeah, I agree the wife and I took the BRC last year, the bikes were not the best, and after seeing how the put the bikes back in the trailer no wonder why, the wife had a bad experience, they split us up as they were afraid I would yell at her, as typically the guy has more riding experience, not in our case she has, so that ticked her off, and since she is a teacher she doesn't do well as student, didn't like them yelling at her, she refused to go back on sunday, she took it a month later at a different location, went much better for her.
I thought about taking the ARC but I'm with Kosher I think I will save my money and take a more expensive one.

Remo
04-19-2012, 01:48 PM
The structure of the ARC is way different than the BRC, and you use your own bike for the ARC. When I took the BRC they had a few new TW 200's out on the range. I think they need to add some small displacement rockets, such as the CBR125 or Ninja 250, however I think funding is the issue with that as the class it provided at a relatively cheap cost.

vlmuke
04-19-2012, 04:06 PM
The structure of the ARC is way different than the BRC, and you use your own bike for the ARC. When I took the BRC they had a few new TW 200's out on the range. I think they need to add some small displacement rockets, such as the CBR125 or Ninja 250, however I think funding is the issue with that as the class it provided at a relatively cheap cost.

True you use your own bike, the reason why the cost is so cheap is they get a grant from the state of Michigan. Macomb, Wayne, and Oakland counties have the highest fatality rate, and also the largest area with riders, so they get a grant to offset the costs from the state of Michigan to increase rider safety.
Our decision was based on the fact that they split us up as we wanted to do the class as a couple so we could learn together and support and encourage each other, so we could ride better together and since she had a bad experience we are gonna someplace different

Thruxtonbill
04-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Well I'm curious Kosher, let us know if it was worth the $150, I have a feeling it will be money well spent. Even if you learn one knew riding technique it's worth it.

Kosher
04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Well I'm curious Kosher, let us know if it was worth the $150, I have a feeling it will be money well spent. Even if you learn one knew riding technique it's worth it.

Sure thing. I hear great things about RLAP, so I'm sure I'll be literally running circles around all of yer sorry butts after this class!

:rofl:

The interesting thing will be how hard this class will be with 14" apes...:help:

Gas Man
04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I simply don't want to take my bike to a class like that... I think that you are pushing the envelope so much more and the likely hood of dropping the bike is 10 times more than in normal riding. I just don't want to deal with fixing some bs little scuffs and shit.

There is a program where they provide a FLH bike... I just don't remember which one it is... I know of a similar program that supplies big BMW touring bikes. Concepts would be the same.

Kosher
04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I simply don't want to take my bike to a class like that... I think that you are pushing the envelope so much more and the likely hood of dropping the bike is 10 times more than in normal riding. I just don't want to deal with fixing some bs little scuffs and shit.

There is a program where they provide a FLH bike... I just don't remember which one it is... I know of a similar program that supplies big BMW touring bikes. Concepts would be the same.

I dont think they push it that much, I'd be surprised if everyone's dropping their bikes all over the place. May be over confident, but I think while it may happen now and then its not great for them if they push it that hard so that its common - on these big bikes people get hurt and they get pissed about damage.

I'll let you know if I wind up suing them from my hospital bed, LOL

Gas Man
04-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah let us know if anybody drops the bike..

ChefC14
04-20-2012, 03:53 AM
I did like the DVD but I'm not so sure about what they have you do with the clutch. I think running your bike in the friction zone like they teach just rips the shit out of your clutch. The technique certainly works but it's awful expensive. Of course the police departments don't care because the city flips the bill for a new clutch every three months but do you want to replace yours that often. They stress in the video that you can do it with any bike so the apes shouldn't be an issue. I love how he shows his 100lb wife picking up the big bike. You will learn some great techniques and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you stay upright.

Kosher
04-20-2012, 04:03 PM
From the instructor when asked what % of participants drop their bikes during the class:

it doesn't happen too often, but it does happen, and to say it never happens or that you have say a 50% chance is not accurate.

Just relax and we I'll have fun, take some breaks and you should do fine. This is challenging but we try to not add any stress - students do enough of that by themselves!

Gas Man
04-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Still waiting to see how many...

Moesride
04-20-2012, 10:18 PM
His class is tomorrow G man.....then we find out.

Gas Man
04-20-2012, 11:25 PM
His class is tomorrow G man.....then we find out.

Yep... holding my breath.

Kosher
04-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Ok, sports fans here's the recap.

First, my left hand is freakin toast. All slow speed maneuvers require you to be at the friction point and this was 95% of the class.

I did not drop my bike. Tho others did, including a brand new gorgeous CVO, but they have skid plates on the bottom of the bags, and there was no damage that I could tell.

14" Ape Hangers make this whole thing harder, in my opinion.

First exercise was a stopping exercise, pretty basic.

Then we did a 18 foot small cone weave, pretty easy, then 12 foot, much harder. Then 12 foot with tall cones.

Then we did a serpentine exercise which was very hard. Very sharp turns, and then it got it harder when they put gates in each turn. Took me some time to get it down, and it wasnt always perfect or smooth but as we did it more, it got better.

Then we did a 24' u-turn exercise, pretty much what it says, but harder than you might think. Got that down pretty well.

Then we did a t-shaped u-turn or intersection course in which you cut in to a u-turn, come out then cut into the next one, all in succession. Pretty difficult by with some practice I got that one down. The police version of that is 18', I have no idea how anyone would do that.

Then we did a figure 8 exercise, but it was very difficult, only one or 2 people got it, not me. But we didnt do it for very long, we started to practice by combining the serpentine, the s-curves, and the u-turn box all in one a few times over.

All in all a pretty good day, I'm tired, and my clutch hand needs a rest.

Key take-aways

- friction point, throttle and rear break all important to get right. Rear brake is a component you wouldnt think is that important, many people try do do this with throttle only and it doesnt work, rear brake actually keeps the bike up combined with a little bit of throttle at the friction point.
- turn your head in the direction you want to go. No news here, but harder than you think in tight turns that are shifting directions quickly. Keep your head up and dip your shoulder.
- you need to get both down very well and TRUST that you are going in the right direction, and given the entry points that you wont run into cones you are not looking at.

I will need to keep practicing all of this, but I fear without cones, I wont have the discipline to do the turns tight enough.

Thruxtonbill
04-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Good stuff kosh and thanks for the write up. Glad you did not drop your scoot, sounds like you learned a little and it was money well spent.

Kosher
04-21-2012, 05:50 PM
I forgot to mention, 12 bikes. 10 Harley touring, 1 Fat Boy, 1 brand new white Victory touring bike.

2 of these bikes were brand new CVO's. Gorgeous. One other guy lived in Iowa, had an 05 Classic, but for some reason had a 107 kit done by Torq Monster near Port Huron, and was in town to pick up his bike so he figured he'd take the class. (raves about this Torq Monster place, I'd never heard of them, horrible web site (which doesn't mean much))

Personally I think the class was too big by two bikes, 10 seems the most it should be.

sprink
04-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Cool. I wanted to take it, but $ is spent or planned to spend this year. Glad you enjoyed it because you are the first student I have heard from away from advertising.

I watched a cop skill run at bikes on the bricks last year. Pretty amazing throwing those big bikes around. They dragged constantly. I thought that was cheating, kinda like training wheels, LOL.

Moesride
04-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Good on you Kosher! Sounds like you learned a bit today and had yourself challenged. Kept your bike up with the apes and all and I'm sure it was even more of a challenge with those 14 inchers. Thats great! Thats why I've never considered doing this type of skills class......afraid of dropping the bike! Thanks for sharing!

Gas Man
04-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Great write up. The rear brake on any cruiser bike is EVERYTHING. Take your bike to some real twisted roads. You learn that REAL quick! I think a huge help for me was that I rode sportbikes first.

SportstersPaul
04-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks for sharing this, would really like to have the experience first hand. Maybe next time around.

Kosher
04-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement - I think the fear of dropping your bike is a bit over blown unless you already really struggle with slow speed maneuvers. You could tell very early who would struggle, who would be fine, and who would do just ok but improve throughout the day (me, I think).

What was interesting is every single one of the people in the class are people that you'd see on bike nights or around town and pretty much assume they were experienced bikers with fairly well developed skills, and this class exposes nearly everyone as bikers who need to improve their skills.

I need to find some time to practice, thats for sure.