PDA

View Full Version : Snyder signs repeal of Michigan's motorcycle helmet law

Chain
04-13-2012, 10:04 AM
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120413/POLITICS02/204130397/1409/metro/Snyder-signs-repeal-Michigan-s-motorcycle-helmet-law

Now, as with the CPL law, we WILL see the truth... finally!

Let Freedom RING!!!!!!!!!! :)

Kosher
04-13-2012, 10:25 AM
w0oT!

Bagger Dave
04-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Hell yez! :rockwoot:redflip

telecast
04-13-2012, 12:15 PM
So, there ya go. It's your choice.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Snyder-signs-Mich-optional-motorcycle-helmet-bill/-/1719418/10702240/-/qi7pkkz/-/index.html

Kosher
04-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Let freedom ring.

I'm now beginning a crusade to repeal the law requiring eye protection.

I KID, I KID!

Chain
04-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I'll probably still wear my turtle skin... but at least its MY choice now!

Kosher
04-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Some good info from HDForums:

Just to add I'm a Leo here in Michigan. A Leo can't stop you for the mere fact that your not wearing a helmet to check and see your endorcent or if your under 21. Have to have a reason for the stop ie. Violation of the motor vehicle code. The law also states that the driver is not required to carry proof of the medical rider or proof he has had his endorcent for two years. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Safe riding guys

Chain
04-13-2012, 04:23 PM
That's good to know. But, we all know they can make up any damn reason they want... I'd like to see where in the law it states that... I myself couldn't find it, but I'm NOT done scouring over it either...

Lrider
04-13-2012, 09:01 PM
That's great news, Snyder did what he said he would do.... But I'm still going to wear a helmet.

ChefC14
04-13-2012, 09:42 PM
I like my pumpkin cover and I'll continue to wear it. This will be great for tourism.
http://www.miabateregion11.info/economic.htm

Remo
04-13-2012, 10:23 PM
You still won't catch me riding without a helmet...ever. Around the block or on the freeway your chances of getting into an accident are still the same.

Kosher
04-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I saw a few bikes out today, all wearing lids, every one.

Gas Man
04-13-2012, 10:51 PM
That's great news, Snyder did what he said he would do.... But I'm still going to wear a helmet.

exactly...

What are the exact requirements?

If I wear mine all the time can I get an insurance discount?

Gas Man
04-13-2012, 10:53 PM
And I merged the threads...

You guys were so excited you made 36 threads on it.... :lol:

Bagger Dave
04-13-2012, 11:12 PM
exactly...

What are the exact requirements?

If I wear mine all the time can I get an insurance discount?

"
Motorcyclists can forgo a helmet if they are at least 21 years old, carry at least an additional $20,000 in medical insurance and have either passed a motorcycle safety course or had their motorcycle endorsement for at least two years. Passengers also must be 21 or older to go helmetless, and there has to be an additional $20,000 in insurance for the passenger, bought either by the passenger or the motorcycle driver.
Michigan State Police spokeswoman Tiffany Brown confirmed Friday riders can immediately go without helmets if they meet the requirements."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120413/POLITICS02/204130397#ixzz1ryrIKvrE

Sounds like its already in affect :rockwoot:

Kosher
04-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Details:

In a memo sent to all posts, Michigan State Police Director Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue clarified for officers how the law will be enforced.-- The law does not require a motorcycle operator to carry or present proof he or she has a motorcycle endorsement for at least two years or has successfully passed the motorcycle safety course.-- The law does not require a motorcycle operator or passenger to carry proof of the $20,000 security required to operate or ride a motorcycle without a helmet.-- Officers may not stop a motorcyclist for not wearing a helmet based on the possibility the operator or passenger may be in violation of the helmet law.-- Operators and passengers who violate the new law are responsible for a civil infraction.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120413/POLITICS02/204130397#ixzz1rysJ79tj

Gas Man
04-13-2012, 11:15 PM
I bet our insurance agents are being bombarded!!

Bagger Dave
04-13-2012, 11:36 PM
I just looked at my insurance for my scoot...I already have the $20,000 in medical on there...I will call and see if I have to have another 20 g's or if I'm good to go

Remo
04-13-2012, 11:38 PM
And I merged the threads...

You guys were so excited you made 36 threads on it.... :lol:

:pwsign:

Kosher
04-13-2012, 11:45 PM
One thing's for sure, I'm taking off that goofy DOT sticker that I slapped on my skiddie...

RedneckMedic
04-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Ill just ride in the buff

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz2/lrpetric/IMG_0057.jpg

Gas Man
04-14-2012, 12:01 AM
One thing's for sure, I'm taking off that goofy DOT sticker that I slapped on my skiddie...:lmao:

Gas Man
04-14-2012, 12:05 AM
And who you mean muggin rugby?

Moesride
04-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Rolled in late last night and ran into two helmetless riders on the way home. Wifey told me she was following a rider on her way home yesterday with no helmet and thought he had forgotten to put his Lid on.... he had out of state plates. I can see her logic in this since she had no idea of the new Lid law.

Thruxtonbill
04-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I like my pumpkin cover and I'll continue to wear it. This will be great for tourism.
http://www.miabateregion11.info/economic.htm
That's the only plus I see and I'm glad people have a choice, as it should be. I for one would NEVER ride without a helmet.

telecast
04-14-2012, 10:12 AM
I carry $100,000 across the board. Liabiity, personal injury, the whole works. Any motorcycle attorney will tell you it's the minimum you should carry. For a hundred bucks or so a year, or about $8.33 a month, it's silly not to.

I suspect I'm already covered and don't need the extra insurance. Either way I'll stand by my post from a few years ago when this discussion started. I plan to wear a helmet. Caveats might be if I'm in the west end of the UP (example), or maybe around my small town. Other than that, I'll wear. I can't even imagine Telegraph Road with no helmet.

Bagger Dave
04-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I carry $100,000 across the board. Liabiity, personal injury, the whole works. Any motorcycle attorney will tell you it's the minimum you should carry. For a hundred bucks or so a year, or about $8.33 a month, it's silly not to.

yeah...I looked at mine again,
I have liability bodily injury $100,000/300,000
property damage $100,000
medical payments $20,000
I will still call Monday...but I think I don't need the extra medical
I still plan on wearing my lid...but on rides out in the country..I would like to check it out without one
yeah...I wouldn't want to ride Telegraph with no lid on...

telecast
04-14-2012, 10:38 AM
I lived in Texas in the early 80's and rode with no helmet. It was sweet. We rode everywhere and never thought about it for a second. Highways, back roads, wherever. Wind in your hair, etc etc. i moved down there about a week after they passed the law, so it was just normal. We never heard anything on the news about people dying from lack of a helmet even though people were preaching doom and gloom.

It just never happened.

But at the time I was young, dumb, and full of cum. Traffic was lighter. People didn't text and drive. Hell, they didn't even have celphones. It was a different world.

Gas Man
04-14-2012, 05:26 PM
And I bet those dudes out yesterday don't even qualify.

Bagger Dave
04-14-2012, 08:09 PM
yep yep...
Topshelf and I seen about a 6 -8 people riding today without their lids....

Nobody
04-14-2012, 09:06 PM

And that'd be why I'm keeping my lid on until I talk to my ins lady on tuesday. I don't want to be the first jackass to get creamed w/out having the coverage, and get turned into the posterboy for a pack of crusading repressive dickheads.

Gas Man
04-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Good call topshelf

GP-FLHR
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
And that'd be why I'm keeping my lid on until I talk to my ins lady on Tuesday. I don't want to be the first jackass to get creamed w/out having the coverage, and get turned into the poster boy for a pack of crusading repressive dickheads.

Good one.
I caled my ins guy yesterday to be sure I had the coverage, I have 5 times the $20000 requirement. My Son is over 21 and I got my endorsement 5 years ago. So now what to do, I'm looking forward to trying it. I feel I should wear my helmet, but in warmer weather, I have a feeling no helmet will be addicting.

alhall88
04-15-2012, 03:25 AM
Called my insurance yesterday and had to add the medical. Progressive doesn't offer personal injury protection for motorcycles and said that the new Michigan law requires medical insurance which they offer at 10,000 and 25,000. They also said there is no way to tell if you have the coverage or not unless you carry your declaration page with you.This coverage is not to cheap either it cost me $192 for a year for the $25,000. Time to shop insurance again

Trainguy
04-15-2012, 07:24 AM
To have the choice is good:rockwoot:

Gas Man
04-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Call state farm al. I have a great agent but I'm sure there is one closer to you. I will double check mine when I get up.

GP-FLHR
04-15-2012, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE=alhall88;31954]Called my insurance yesterday and had to add the medical. Progressive doesn't offer personal injury protection for motorcycles and said that the new Michigan law requires medical insurance which they offer at 10,000 and 25,000. They also said there is no way to tell if you have the coverage or not unless you carry your declaration page with you.This coverage is not to cheap either it cost me $192 for a year for the $25,000. Time to shop insurance again[/QUOTE

If you have a Bike that is listed as a Turing like Harley's FL series try Auto Owners. After years of Sportsters and a Dyna when I got my 11 Road King my full coverage dropped $200 each 6 months, even though the RK had a sticker price $5000 over the Dyna.
AO gives discounts on Turing models because they said Sport Bikes and high speeds is the main problem and they put all Harleys in to that category other then a Turing model. I lost all my medical insurance because my Wife's UAW job moved to Mexico 6 years ago, so at that point I put $50.000 on my bike medical coverage.
I called him late Friday and he said I was all set to ride with no helmet as far as they are concerned.
He then said for $19 for 6 months I could raise it to $100.000 I said do it, I want to protect my Wife better from me, just in case.
I have the Reed agency in Dewitt, my agents name is Andy.
Time will tell when or how much I will ride with out one. I'm very happy we finally have a Governor that at lest has some conservative valuers.

Gas Man
04-15-2012, 08:11 AM
I really don't think he has conservative values. I think it's probably more about the tourism revenue. But it's do regardless.

Gas Man
04-15-2012, 08:31 AM
I just checked mine. $25k medical on the scoots is about $93 a year. Via state farm.

GP-FLHR
04-15-2012, 08:49 AM
I really don't think he has conservative values. I think it's probably more about the tourism revenue. But it's do regardless.

I'm with you on that I don't feel he is very conservative ether, but he is better then the last one she didn't have any. Now with that said I really don't want to see this Thread go political.
One thing I'm not sure about is having proof of the medical coverage with me. I just looked at mine and it just says my bike is insured in Michigan and all 50 states including Canadian Province and meets all minimum limits.
Don't have any thing on it about medical. Maybe I better call my agent back Monday to see if they can fax me a proof of the medical coverage part.
I will up-date what he tells me.

Bagger Dave
04-15-2012, 09:26 AM
I just checked mine. $25k medical on the scoots is about $93 a year. Via state farm.

I have $20,000 medical on mine...$74.61 a year... via State Farm....my insurance is paid up for a full year...until Jan.30 2013
I am still going to talk with my agent tomorry.....just to make sure that I'm good to go

Gas Man
04-15-2012, 09:33 AM
I heard from the state rep that sponsored the bill that the MSP is concerned about enforcement and checking of the requirement.

Gas Man
04-15-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm sure these agents are pulling their hair out.

Moesride
04-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Called my insurance yesterday and had to add the medical. Progressive doesn't offer personal injury protection for motorcycles and said that the new Michigan law requires medical insurance which they offer at 10,000 and 25,000. They also said there is no way to tell if you have the coverage or not unless you carry your declaration page with you.This coverage is not to cheap either it cost me $192 for a year for the $25,000. Time to shop insurance again You might wan't to check your policy again Al.
I have Progressive as well and for the $25000 coverage i'ts $97 a year. Plus if I'm not mistaken Progressive does offer the bodily injury for motorcycles. I just checked mine and I have the bodily injury&property damage liabilty at $500,000 combined single limit.

RedneckMedic
04-15-2012, 04:00 PM
mine came in the mail for me to renew the other day and I have 20,000medical for me and 10,000 for the passenger already on it so im good to go.

Kosher
04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Finally got out today at about 330 and I indulged in the glory of helmetlessness.

Wow, that was nice.

Gas Man
04-15-2012, 08:58 PM
EVERYBODY besides one rocket, was rolling helmetless.

Kosher
04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
EVERYBODY besides one rocket, was rolling helmetless.

So weird - most people I saw were wearing helmets. *All* sport bikes had helmets, some with flip flops, lol.

Gas Man
04-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah I was behind a rocket, with a stretched swing arm, a 300 rear tire... both rider and girl on the back wearing helmets in tank tops.

alhall88
04-16-2012, 03:39 AM
You might wan't to check your policy again Al.
I have Progressive as well and for the $25000 coverage i'ts $97 a year. Plus if I'm not mistaken Progressive does offer the bodily injury for motorcycles. I just checked mine and I have the bodily injury&property damage liabilty at $500,000 combined single limit.

Moe yes they have bodily injury protection but not PIP (personal injury protection) and thanks I'll call them back on there quote. Still going to reprice my policy

Moesride
04-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Your right on the PIP vs. the Bodily Injury protection Al. For some reason I thought they fell in the same category. But yah, good idea to check on your policy every once in a while to see if your getting the best rate possible.

Moesride
04-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Everyone I rode by had their Lids on except for one guy. Like Kosher said, all the rockets were wearing Lids.
Did see a guy on a rocket that was geared up like a stormtrooper with a girl on the back with a tank top and spandex pants. She looked like she had been hanging on for dear life! Different strokes for different folks but how anyone can possibley ride passenger on a rocket for any distance is beyond me! It just looks painfull!!

Hawgrider
04-16-2012, 07:25 AM
So finally .....semi helmet free even though its not free. Better than nothing though. So..... my Allstate policy is full coverage for my scoot but has zero medical insurance. It will cost 88 per year for 20k medical insurance............ But the way I read the law so far is..... I have health insurance from employer as negotiated by contract. And I believe Its 75k medical insurance So at this point I believe I would be covered under that. Now The question I have is.... I see it nowhere in the law that states I have to carry documentation. So far its just rumor that you would have to carry the paper? Any thoughts?

Kosher
04-16-2012, 09:04 AM
So finally .....semi helmet free even though its not free. Better than nothing though. So..... my Allstate policy is full coverage for my scoot but has zero medical insurance. It will cost 88 per year for 20k medical insurance............ But the way I read the law so far is..... I have health insurance from employer as negotiated by contract. And I believe Its 75k medical insurance So at this point I believe I would be covered under that. Now The question I have is.... I see it nowhere in the law that states I have to carry documentation. So far its just rumor that you would have to carry the paper? Any thoughts?

Its not rumor, you dont have to carry proof of anything for this law, and they cant pull you over simply in order to check.

In a memo sent to all posts, Michigan State Police Director Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue clarified for officers how the law will be enforced.
-- The law does not require a motorcycle operator to carry or present proof he or she has a motorcycle endorsement for at least two years or has successfully passed the motorcycle safety course.
-- The law does not require a motorcycle operator or passenger to carry proof of the $20,000 security required to operate or ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
-- Officers may not stop a motorcyclist for not wearing a helmet based on the possibility the operator or passenger may be in violation of the helmet law.
-- Operators and passengers who violate the new law are responsible for a civil infraction.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120413/POLITICS02/204130397#ixzz1sCyUcrCR
(http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120413/POLITICS02/204130397#ixzz1sCyUcrCR)

Hawgrider
04-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Excellent Thanks Kosher

Moesride
04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm no genius when it comes to all of this but why is it that you instill a "law" or rather a "requirement" that someone would have to meet to ride helmetless but you are not required to show proof of it in the event you are pulled over? I'm all for taking back a choice and Gov. keeping their nose as far away as possible but it seems kinda weird.
I think it would be at an advantage for the state if you had written coverage on your 4x3 ins. card......you have converage great...you don't the LEO generates on the spot revenue! How would a LEO know if you are in violation or not without any proof? Just sayin......

Kosher
04-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Yesterday late afternoon I rode helmetless past a LEO on the side of the road heading north on Rochester road just north of Stoney Creek Road, we looked at each other, and he looked rather annoyed, but he stayed put!

Bagger Dave
04-16-2012, 09:30 PM
I called my State Farm agent today...I already have the 20g medical...and the best coverage for my scoot...so I am good to go!:rockwoot:redflip

Gas Man
04-16-2012, 10:44 PM
They also won't know if you have had your endorsement for over 2 years or that you have took a safety coarse.

Something you boys need to consider... your medical insurance from your employer MAY NOT cover you in the event of a vehicle accident. You either have to check and get a straight answer OR carry medical on your vehicles. I for one, prefer to be over insured so we don't have to be in major debt due to medical bills.

Bagger Dave
04-16-2012, 11:11 PM
I got that covered...I have Aflac from work...which in case of any accident...even non work related...I'm covered

Kosher
04-17-2012, 05:25 AM
They also won't know if you have had your endorsement for over 2 years or that you have took a safety coarse.

Something you boys need to consider... your medical insurance from your employer MAY NOT cover you in the event of a vehicle accident. You either have to check and get a straight answer OR carry medical on your vehicles. I for one, prefer to be over insured so we don't have to be in major debt due to medical bills.

I've heard some stories about this, they often try to get others to pay, but in the end your insurance coverage from work has to pay. They can't bail on me if I'm playing hockey, or driving my car, or <your non work activity here>, I dont think they can cherry pick.

Hawgrider
04-17-2012, 07:09 AM
I've heard some stories about this, they often try to get others to pay, but in the end your insurance coverage from work has to pay. They can't bail on me if I'm playing hockey, or driving my car, or <your non work activity here>, I dont think they can cherry pick.I agree.

Here's why....... Ive had my Hawg for about 11 years. Ive had the same full coverage policy from Allstate for 11 years. I call to check out the med insurance part and find out for 11 years My full coverage policy had 0 dollars personal medical coverage. So guess who would have picked up the tab if I wrecked my scoot and got injured. The answer is...... My health insurance.

Gas Man
04-17-2012, 08:38 PM
I got that covered...I have Aflac from work...which in case of any accident...even non work related...I'm covered

Don't be so certain... call them and ask them if they will cover your injuries if you're involved in a motor vehicle accident. Ask if they will pay 1st.

I've heard some stories about this, they often try to get others to pay, but in the end your insurance coverage from work has to pay. They can't bail on me if I'm playing hockey, or driving my car, or <your non work activity here>, I dont think they can cherry pick.

Easy to say... but really it's not that simple. Much like everything else it's subject to terms & conditions. As I told Dave... call your med insurance provider. Don't assume.

Bagger Dave
04-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Don't be so certain... call them and ask them if they will cover your injuries if you're involved in a motor vehicle accident. Ask if they will pay 1st.

yeah Chris....the guy came in and heard that I rode...he suggested that I get it...he rides also...and he explained if I did get in a accident...I would be getting cash

Nobody
04-17-2012, 10:23 PM

Easy to say... but really it's not that simple. Much like everything else it's subject to terms & conditions. As I told Dave... call your med insurance provider. Don't assume.

called my work Ins before dialing my SF rep. The hum-hawing I got was enough to convince me to pick up 50k from SF. If I go down and out, I'd rather my family have to deal with wether to pull the plug or not, rather than deal Ins people trying to weasel out.

Kosher
04-17-2012, 11:55 PM
For me, the net net is the below quote from my health insurance provider from work. I am covered by my work insurance plan. Oddly, it makes no sense for me to pay for Personal Injury Protection (PIP) through my motorcycle insurance policy.

I can confirm that when there are no other parties at fault and no other insurance available (ie: PIP coverage through your auto insurance), you Health Plan will cover you in the event of an accident.

There was a lot of other legalese that followed, having to do with subrogation to other insurance companies of other persons at fault blah blah, but bottom line is I'm covered.

Now, as to how I'd prove that, I guess I'd just have them call my insurance provider, LOL

Gas Man
04-18-2012, 08:44 AM
called my work Ins before dialing my SF rep. The hum-hawing I got was enough to convince me to pick up 50k from SF. If I go down and out, I'd rather my family have to deal with wether to pull the plug or not, rather than deal Ins people trying to weasel out.

That's what my med ins did... um... well... maybe... if...

F that... I'd rather be over insured...

For me, the net net is the below quote from my health insurance provider from work. I am covered by my work insurance plan. Oddly, it makes no sense for me to pay for Personal Injury Protection (PIP) through my motorcycle insurance policy.

There was a lot of other legalese that followed, having to do with subrogation to other insurance companies of other persons at fault blah blah, but bottom line is I'm covered.

Now, as to how I'd prove that, I guess I'd just have them call my insurance provider, LOL

Perfect man... I'm just trying to make sure...

Kosher
04-20-2012, 04:54 PM
How Thinking About Death Can Lead To A Good Life. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120419102516.htm)

:)