PDA

View Full Version : So my ex wife bought a bike...

vortech302
12-30-2008, 11:40 AM
last year as an impulse buy, rode it for about 70 miles, now wants to sell it.* Any suggestions as to how I can get her interested in the bike again?

detdrbuzzard
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
have her join the forum and talk with the ladies we have here. might encourage her to ride

Bob
12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Make her wear a "Property of...." vest like the 1% clubs!* HAHAHAHA

Take her to the IMS this weekend!* That will get her motivated.*

B-Kinger
12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
What kind of bike is it?

sarge
12-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Get her to ride it one more time just after you check the brake line connections ? ::) You did say ex didn't you ?

vortech302
12-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Get her to ride it one more time just after you check the brake line connections ? ::) You did say ex didn't you ?

Haha, yep, ex wife.* I'm going to the show, and I'm trying to talk her into going.* It's a 2007 Ninja 250.* Part of what turned her off about it is that she's had a couple problems with the bike running rough/breaking down on her.* I really wish we were friendly toward each other at the time, cause I would've talked her into something fuel injected.

detdrbuzzard
12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
you two are friendly now ;D when was a tuneup done on it? cam chain adjustment too? tried some seafoam or something like it to clean the carbs? hook her up man

vortech302
12-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I'll be honest, other than good gas I really didn't try too much.* I figured that coming from the dealership it would be in tip top shape.* There wasn't much of a temperature change from the time she bought it to the time it started running bad, so I didn't think the carbs would be gummed up.* I'll definitely be more apt to tear into it this year, since we're being "friendly" to each other.

Gas Man
12-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Have her spend a week with me... I'll give her and the bike a tune up.* Got pics?* LOL!!* of the bike is ok too!*

vortech302
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Have her spend a week with me... I'll give her and the bike a tune up.* Got pics?* LOL!!* of the bike is ok too!*

She's blonde, built for speed, basically every guys type.* But the bike is black of course.

Gas Man
01-02-2009, 04:17 AM
I heard sexy blonde, don't know why I got rid of her.

Of coarse I know... no matter how hot the girl is... there is some guy that is tired of putting up with her shit.

bettyboop1w
01-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Or you guys shit...* But get her to talk to some other ladies

B-Kinger
01-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Those 250s had problems with erratic idling and would often stall. Monica's 1st and second bikes were ninja 250s, and after a short break in the carbs had to be synchronized and the intake tubs tightened up, if her symptoms are like ours were. They tend to idle better around 1500 RPMs; too low and the RPMs fluctuate too much and the bike dies on ya.* If she doesn't want it, one of us may! It's geared way too low, so I added a tooth in the front sproket and went down 2 in the rear, and the RPMs weren't so high at 60 any more, and the gas mileage was utterly spectacular.

Gas Man
01-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Once it gets warm I'll anti up the lift access for a wrench day....

B-Kinger
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
lmao, I thought it said wench day, LOL!

vortech302
01-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Those 250s had problems with erratic idling and would often stall. Monica's 1st and second bikes were ninja 250s, and after a short break in the carbs had to be synchronized and the intake tubs tightened up, if her symptoms are like ours were. They tend to idle better around 1500 RPMs; too low and the RPMs fluctuate too much and the bike dies on ya.* If she doesn't want it, one of us may! It's geared way too low, so I added a tooth in the front sproket and went down 2 in the rear, and the RPMs weren't so high at 60 any more, and the gas mileage was utterly spectacular.

That's exactly the problem, won't idle and stalls even after warm up. *She wants to get rid of it, but she owes more than buying a brand new one right now, so I'm hoping that she'll get into it since she'll have it for another year or so. *Gas Man, I'll take you up on that, cause it looks like I'll *be putting most of the miles on it this year.

B-Kinger
01-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Yea, when the idles too low, the low compression motor just doesn't produce enough vacuum to keep the fuel coming in, so it dies. No problemo, ya just gotta turn up the idle a bit. I believe I adjusted the air bleeds as well, but in any case, easy fix. I even have a 4 port mercury vacuum gage, so we can synch the carbs too.

Twisted
02-16-2009, 07:56 AM
I really have absolutley no idea about the mechanical makings of a bike, or if there is some more seriously wrong with your ex's bike, but I do know about my Ninja ( and it was brand new), and just like Mike said, that bike was rather difficult to get going when first started, even after he did what he did. The very first time I started it, the thing stalled and lurched forward, and not expecting that at all, down we went. It just takes some getting used to it, letting it idle for a bit, playing with the choke, revving it a bit. It generally would ALWAYS stall and lurch (tell her to just hang on, keep clutch IN, brace both legs on ground) after I just put it in first, start her back up, good to go. Also, I remember it being way more touchy than my FZ when riding, if I didn't give her enough throttle when taking off, it would stall. That bike was more "work" to ride, but fantastic to learn on. Had to pay close attention to the miles too, no gas gauge. Having it die twice on me, before putting it in reserve, was enough to know to keep it at least 1/2 full at all times. Once it died, it took a bit also to get her going.
Did you say she only rode it 70 miles? Thats nothing to get used to that bike. She needs to ride it daily, for hours and hours. She will absolutley love it once she figures it out. I did.

detdrbuzzard
02-16-2009, 09:46 AM
250 ninjas have a high idle compaired to most bikes if i remember right 1500 or 2000 rpm