PDA

View Full Version : ABS on bikes is safer

Gas Man
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I have it on my bike and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

So I give this a big DUH!!!! Saying that ABS helps stop crashes... again DUH!!

The Insurance Institute for Highway safety released info from a new study indicating that motorcycles with antilocks versus without are 37 percent less likely to be in fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years. Bike models with antilocks have 22 percent fewer claims for damage per insured vehicle year (a vehicle year is 1 vehicle insured for 1 year, 2 insured for 6 months, etc.) than the same models without antilocks.

The Insurance Institute released this demonstration video to show how effective ABS can be.

Hawgrider
04-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Im still scared of them. I was born a pumper:nf: lol
I still don't even care for them on a cage. But that's just me I'm an old stubborn(brake)pumper.
Yeah I know I'm a dinosaur........ that's what my kids call me:lmao:

Kosher
04-06-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm very glad I have ABS on my bike, but there are a lot of people that dont like it, and think their skills are better than ABS. Personally I think 99.9% of those people are wrong.

Here's a sampling: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/728126-this-wont-be-popular-but-hd-abs-sucks.html

Thruxtonbill
04-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I wish I had ABS.

Mad Dog
04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I now have ABS on my new Road King and will never buy another bike without it.
I can recall just one time an animal came out and I was able to hammer the brakes and stay upright.
I was running about 60 on a country 2 lane rounded a corner and out came bambi!
Though this has been the only time it could have been my last.
It did still require new underwear......:lmao:

Gas Man
04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm with Mad Dog... I wish I had it on all my bikes.

And the few times when you may not want ABS is a mere fraction of all the times when ABS will save your ass.

Even at the added cost, it's usually about the same price as your collision deductable so for me it's a great deal.

ChefC14
04-10-2012, 02:57 AM
When I was in the process of taking my Concours for a test ride I noticed it had ABS. I wasn't sure about it but bought the bike anyhow. I rode for a gew months never even noticing the brakes until ......... One day I was riding in the tunnel of trees and decided to do a multiple car pass. I downshifted to 2nd gear and nailed the throttle, I passed about 4 cars and all of a sudden a car turns right into my path from a side street. I thought for sure it was going to be an impact. I couldn't go the the right because there were cars there and if I went to the left I would be in the trees. I grabbed my brakes hard and the bike started stopping, with the ABS chunk chunk chunk, I went form 90 mph to a dead stop very quickly. The car also stopped and we were sitting there looking at each other eye to eye. There was about 2 feet between the front of his car and my front tire. I went to the gravel on the side of the road and let him pass, we both gave each other a wave. I continued on to pass the cars and I was extremely happy with the way my brakes reacted. If I didn't have them I either would have skidded into the car or slid out and ended up under the car. I am now an advocate of ABS. I literally had no way out of the situation I put myself in but somehow found a way out of it, thanks Kawasaki.

Gas Man
04-10-2012, 04:22 AM
Honestly on a bike, if you ever are in a hard brake situation and you feel the ABS kick in... YUUUPPPPP.... you could have went down. Period!

ChefC14
04-10-2012, 07:41 AM
There's been a few other times they've saved me but that was the first. Every time has been due to me screwing around, maybe if I didn't have them I wouldn't screw around so much.

Remo
04-10-2012, 10:59 PM
I have yet to own or ride a bike with ABS but I am guessing with my current bike buying trends (I usually buy something 3-5 model years newer each time I upgrade) I might be looking at some bikes with ABS when I purchase my next bike. I know for sportbikes it adds about $1000 to the price tag on a new bike.

Gas Man
04-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah $700-$1000 seems to be the norm.

Caveman
04-10-2012, 11:47 PM
The first time I ever felt that tell-tale sign of ABS was in the rain. It had started to rain and we were coming to a stop, I usually try to stop on the bare pavement but there was a lot of white paint in the intersection for bus or crosswalk info or whatever, but everyone knows that shit is slick even when dry let alone wet. I thanked my luck stars when that ABS kicked in and I just stopped right there on the paint. Love that shit and will always own a bike with that option if available.