PDA

View Full Version : Here's a little piece of news from The Dragon

ChefC14
03-30-2012, 09:34 AM
North Carolina is our friend and Tennessee is not.

http://www.wate.com/story/17289785/tractor-trailer-restrictions-vary-on-the-dragon (http://www.wate.com/story/17289785/tractor-trailer-restrictions-vary-on-the-dragon)

Thruxtonbill
03-30-2012, 10:02 AM
I was talking to a truck driver a couple of weeks ago and he told me no truck driver in his right mind will take 129 on purpose, their GPS takes them that way and once they're on it there is no turning back.

Mad Dog
03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes the problem is the gps directs them on to it and there are no signs in Tenn. indicating it is suicide for a tractor trailer and yes, once on they are committed.

Tennessee should ban the big trucks also. 25 years behind the wheel of a tractor trailer and I would NOT want to be on that road!

Hawgrider
03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Yes the problem is the gps directs them on to it and there are no signs in Tenn. indicating it is suicide for a tractor trailer and yes, once on they are committed.

Tennessee should ban the big trucks also. 25 years behind the wheel of a tractor trailer and I would NOT want to be on that road!There are signs on the TN side. Infact twice they are warned and at the last warning TN has a place to turn around but the truckers mostly- Swift( not so Swift) keep on keeping on toward NC and then oops too late there is no bailing out once they go past the last warning.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/photos/trucks/truckwarn_sm.jpg

Heres a tid bit from the tail website-

"The State of Tennessee did manage to erect a sign late in 2002 that issues a warning to truckers as they approach the Dragon. We think a few more need to be installed way back at the intersection of US 129 and US 411, some 20 miles closer to Maryville. The State of North Carolina has done nothing to try to prevent trucks on this road. We know that it can be done as both Tennessee and North Carolina have other highways with signs warning truckers. For some reason they do not want to post obvious signs on US 129."

jerrygsx
03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
With those kind of curves, why can't they at the very least CUT THE TREES in the median area to give a little heads up on who's coming around the corner!!!

Mad Dog
03-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah I know about those signs but to someone coming out of the midwest it won't register.
"Switchback? What the hell is that? Hammer down the GPS says were good to go!"
They just don't understand till its too late.
SWIFT??? "Sure Wish I Had A Faster Truck"

sprink
03-30-2012, 08:28 PM
With those kind of curves, why can't they at the very least CUT THE TREES in the median area to give a little heads up on who's coming around the corner!!!

What about the mountainside on the next turn?

Remo
03-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Most of the larger trucking companies assign the driver a specific route that they have to travel and if you go a different way your @ss is on the line as a driver.

Gas Man
03-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Truckers as a whole aren't all that bright. Not saying all, calm down Don you aren't include in the dim catagory. LOL

junkyardjon
03-31-2012, 11:13 AM
that road should be ripped out. just tear the road out and the whole problem is solved. GPS should be outlawed !!! motorcycles should be restricted to 35hp max and have a lean angle devise that reduces power over a certain angle and motorcycles should only use car tires. i think all of these idea's will help stupid people on that road.

Gas Man
03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Wow. That's a great idea. Let's do it.

Mad Dog
03-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Truckers as a whole aren't all that bright. Not saying all, calm down Don you aren't include in the dim catagory. LOL

GEE Thanks Buddy....You Just Brightened My Otherwise Dull Day.:lmao:

Besides I Drive A School Bus Now.
:yes:
Actually it’s a horizontally challenged transportation unit otherwise known as The Short Bus!
I will admit there are some drivers out there that have defied evolution.:iagree:

ChefC14
04-01-2012, 02:26 PM
that road should be ripped out. just tear the road out and the whole problem is solved. GPS should be outlawed !!! motorcycles should be restricted to 35hp max and have a lean angle devise that reduces power over a certain angle and motorcycles should only use car tires. i think all of these idea's will help stupid people on that road.

Some of that has already been done, it's called a Harley Davidson. :rockwoot:Sorry guys I couldn't resist that one.

Thruxtonbill
04-02-2012, 09:32 AM
redflip

Gas Man
04-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I have dragged my HD through the dragon. Don't confuse the weekend warriors for all HD riders. Ya know...

ChefC14
04-04-2012, 03:12 AM
I know I apologized from the beginning. I saw the 35 hp and had to jump on it. Some things just can't be resisted. My brother has a HD Ultra Yadda Yadda Yadda and we go back and forth. It's all in fun on my part.

Gas Man
04-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Oh I'm with ya... I love the razzing!!!

Gas Man
04-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Here's a sign from the NC side about 21 miles before the GAP.