PDA

View Full Version : rear tire swap

katrider98
03-30-2012, 02:59 AM
im looking to try and swap a larger tire on my 98 katana 600.not sure what will fit,any help

Gas Man
03-30-2012, 04:20 AM
I would say you might be able to go up a size but why? Unless it helps with price or tire brand availability I wouldn't do it. Heck many of the guys running 190's drop down to 180's to get better turn in.

You're not riding a chopper so wider isn't always better.

Gas Man
03-30-2012, 04:21 AM
I forgot to add. You need to get your clearances on the swing arm, chain, etc. see how much room you have.

WILEY
03-30-2012, 05:42 PM
+ 1 on the why.

if wider tires made all the difference, race bikes would be all running 330 rears.

Wide tires DO NOT CORNER WELL. Takes more effort to heel the bike over and bring it back straight. Real fast guys use as little tires as possible.

Hey if your doing it for looks, its up to you just do as Gas suggested and MAKE sure all your dimmensions check.

katrider98
04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
good idea,i`m not looking to go 330...was thinking size up,maybe stock gixxer?i dont want to get into modifying swingarm tho. just wanted a lil more tire back there.

RedneckMedic
04-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I would try and check out a katana or suzuki sport bike forum. they will be able to answer questions about anything you can come up with. chances are if you've thought about it as a mod some one else has as well and has already worked out all the bugs or found out if something is impossible.

From my experience with swapping the rear on the shadow is that I had quite a bit of room to play with the biggest problem was the fender because I had already lowered the rear a few inches but on a sport bike you don't have to worry about that. I went from a 160 to a 200 because I have a vtx rim laced onto the shadow hub giving me a full inch more room to play with on the rim and didn't have to mess with the swing arm. So you could probably get ahold of a gsxr rim and just pop it on the back provided axle size and all that is the same.

If you don't want to go that route and just want to add rubber check out some pictures of dif sizes on the stock rim first. I have the 200 on there now but some guys did some side by side pics and a 180 actually looks wider than the 200 because it more or less balloons on top creating a taller tire instead of a wider one past the 180.

So check out the forums because I'm sure someone has figured out the cheapest easiest way to do it.

Gas Man
04-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Could ask on www.twowheelfix.com

I'm know a few guys there have done similar.

Caveman
04-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I have a buddy that owns a VTX 1800 and has swapped his stock MC tire with a fairly decent sized CAR tire,,,, thats right, a car tire. looks kind of strange and I can only imagine what if feels like trying to lean that bitch over. However, as it is a cruzer and not a corner scarfing, knee dragging, lean the bike over as far as you can get it rocket then its all good. He says the ride when going straight is smoother than anything he has ever riden when it comes to straight lines. I just am not sold on the even smaller contact patch that gets used when leaning over in a curve.

Gas Man
04-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Yeah i'm not buying into that either. I like to corner in my hog... don't need anything else fighting me with that beyond it's massive weight. LOL

katrider98
04-06-2012, 12:38 AM
thanx guys ive gotten her all back together now,carbs redone.post pics of finished product.